Analyst Puts Affordable Price on Project Natal

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Analyst Puts Affordable Price on Project Natal

Adding Natal's revolutionary form of control to your Xbox 360 might not be that expensive at all.

Videogame industry analyst Michael Pachter has predicted that Microsoft's future release-date price for Project Natal will be a very affordable $50. He made the prediction while speaking on GameTrailers' latest episode of Pach-Attack, a series where he answers questions about the industry. This price would contrast with Nintendo's rumored view [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97858-Nintendo-Turned-Down-Project-Natal] that something like Natal couldn't be distributed at a cost-effective rate.

After answering the question of what 2010's best-selling game will likely be, and not surprisingly naming Halo: Reach, Pachter covered his justification for Natal's presumably low price point. Even though he admits that "nobody knows" what Microsoft is going to do, and despite the high prices of Xbox 360 peripherals like the network adapter and hard drive, Natal will probably be sold at, or even below, cost.

Rumors put Natal's cost anywhere from two cents to ten-billion dollars, though Pachter finds it "hard to envision" a $150 price point for Natal because essentially it's just software and a three lens camera, despite all of the cool stuff it can do. "My guess is it's about $50 in cost," he says, and went on to say he'd be "very surprised if it's more than $79."

He further justifies his prediction by saying: "Microsoft is not trying to make money on the device, they're trying to get everybody to have the device so that they can sell us other things and to eventually sell a lot more Xbox 360s." The business model he names for Natal is just like that typically used for videogame hardware, where a loss is often taken to get it out there to make money off of software sales instead. Based on how evil Microsoft is (that is a joke), I was expecting Natal to cost around $100 just because Microsoft probably knows that everybody will buy it based on hype alone. If it really ends up at $50, that would be much more agreeable to my wallet.

Source: GameTrailers [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-103-pach-attack/62129]

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Not bad, im still waiting for a firm price to be announced.

Its an improvement on the £120 Ive heard floating around the internet.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Whatever it is, it's too much. Though that isn't a bad price at all, still wouldn't want to blow my money on a motion sensor for gimmick games.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
I think he's definitely not off-base in his assumption. I concur with his final assessment, although a final price will definitely come later.

Doctor What

Jul 29, 2008
Well, if it really is going to just be $50, then it's worth checking it out. I'm not that excited about it, but it could be interesting.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Ah well, if it's that cheap, I'll have to make sure to buy one. I'm not all that interested in motion control, however, and since my Xbox runs off a 12-inch monitor on my desk, Natal may be a bit hard to use. But if it's cheaper than your average game, then sure, I'll buy it.

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
For $50 I'd get one, I don't see why they don't bundle it with some mini games like wii play and the wiimote and do it for game price.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I was gonna pick it up regardless, but a lower price is always a good thing. No doubt they're gonna sell bundles with 360s including the Natal, or games with it.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
" The business model he names for Natal is just like that typically used for videogame hardware, where a loss is often taken to get it out there to make money off of software sales instead."

Indeed. No console ever made money itself off the bat, and why do this differently with Natal?
It's in MS own best interest to make sure everyone gets it.
And I'm not gonna pay a ton for it, for one...

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Not bad, but not good. The majority of people are not going to buy it and it will be another failed experiment with a gimmicky tool. Of course, I could be wrong and it might just take the gaming world by storm, but I'm just sticking with negativity here and I'm not going to buy it. I just don't see this going anywhere.

breadlord

Apr 21, 2009
But remember, this is not Microsoft's word on it, so expect it to go up.

For me, I predicted it to be $70. $50 to software and $20 for the webcam.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Does it have achievements implemented? If so, I'll buy two.

At $50 I might be convinced to pick it up, but only if it bundles with some nice little minigames and I receive a high salary for once.
Not too keen on the thing yet, I'll admit, though an affordable price helps.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Still don't think I'm sold. I just don't like motion control and I refuse to buy any game that requires it.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
It doesn't matter how much it will cost, if you are even slightly against motion control coming to the Xbox you shouldn't buy one. Just because it's cheap doesn't make it an agreeable price. You buy one you're allowing them to make the kind of game that uses such an unwanted device.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
*Checks currency converter*
Huh, AU$55.5. Well, accounting for the fact that it's Australia, that brings the price to about AU$90, I'd expect. Still, that's not such a bad price (relatively speaking). If they make a game for the Natal that actually looks worthwhile getting, I might even consider getting it. Better yet, I'll just import it. It'd have to look pretty damn awesome though...

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Nerf Ninja said:
It doesn't matter how much it will cost, if you are even slightly against motion control coming to the Xbox you shouldn't buy one. Just because it's cheap doesn't make it an agreeable price. You buy one you're allowing them to make the kind of game that uses such an unwanted device.
Which part of your post explains to me why you are forced to buy motion-sensor controlled games if Natal is successful?