Analyst Puts Affordable Price on Project Natal

PiggyGamer

Jul 22, 2009
No, cuz $50 would make sense.
His argument sounds reasonable, but reasonable Microsoft is not.

It's "hard to envision" a $100+ price point for a 120gb HDD, because it is essentially a relatively small hard disk and it does nothing else to justify the cost, despite all of the cool stuff it can hold.

"Microsoft is not trying to make money on the device, they're trying to get everybody to have the device so that they can sell us other things and to eventually sell a lot more Xbox 360s."

That is definitely not true of the 360's HDDs. What makes Natal different?
It'll probably be a good deal in bundles, but as a stand-alone unit, I'm going to guess it'll be at least $70.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
If it costs close to the price of a regular game then I don't see any reason not to try it out.

Assuming it will have good uses though.

Seriously no shitty minigames that rip off Wii Play and the like, I want to see real creative innovative uses for the damn thing.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That cheap, huh?

Even so, how its going to be integrated will be the more intresting question for me.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
$50 would fit with previous rumors.

For that Price i'd pick it up just for the Hope of a Game that uses Head Tracking

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
I honestly will never purchase this. I really like controllers, so they can make it as cheap as they want.

Xodion

Apr 8, 2008
The Gentleman said:
Ghonzor said:
Yay?
I honestly will never touch the thing
Did you buy Rock Band or Guitar Hero?

If you said yes and you own a 360, you'll probably buy the Natal.
Where's the logic behind this? I own a 360 and I have Rock Band, because it's fun.

Until they release some games that look good and use Natal, I won't be buying it.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Xodion said:
The Gentleman said:
Ghonzor said:
Yay?

Where's the logic behind this? I own a 360 and I have Rock Band, because it's fun.

Until they release some games that look good and use Natal, I won't be buying it.
The average cost of a Rock Band 2/Guitar Hero 4 set (game+guitar+drum kit) is $120-$140 depending on where you're buying it.

Natal is $50, which give you the ability to play several other games in a way similar to having the guitar controler allows you to play several other games. Give it some time to put out a real line-up (i.e. more than Fable 3), and it will probably look more and more acceptible as a purchace.

wolf_isthebest

the Insane
Mar 4, 2009
"Microsoft probably knows that everybody will buy it based on hype alone" If this is true then Microsoft is daydreaming. Nobody will buy this if it will cost more then a game no matter in how many episodes of Smallville they feature it in.... The general opinion on Project Natal at the moment is "meh". If they'll sell Natal for 100$+ it will probably sell worst then PSPgo. Remember PSPgo ? When it came out everybody went and bought PSP3000. If this comes out at 100$+ price everybody will go and buy a Wii for 200$.

Xodion

Apr 8, 2008
The Gentleman said:
Xodion said:
The Gentleman said:
Ghonzor said:
Yay?

The average cost of a Rock Band 2/Guitar Hero 4 set (game+guitar+drum kit) is $120-$140 depending on where you're buying it.

Natal is $50, which give you the ability to play several other games in a way similar to having the guitar controler allows you to play several other games. Give it some time to put out a real line-up (i.e. more than Fable 3), and it will probably look more and more acceptible as a purchace.
True, it will be a worthwhile purchase when MS get a range of good games that use it, but I think this applies to everyone, regardless of whether they bought Rock Band / Guitar Hero or not.
I guess it will boil down to what kind of games try to make use of it, and how well they do so. I for one would love to see the new AI put to good use, many games could be improved with better NPC AI - if something like Assassin's Creed III did this, that would probably make it worth £30 alone (although knowing UK prices, $50 will probably mean £50).

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Xodion said:
The Gentleman said:
Xodion said:
The Gentleman said:
Ghonzor said:
Yay?

True, it will be a worthwhile purchase when MS get a range of good games that use it, but I think this applies to everyone, regardless of whether they bought Rock Band / Guitar Hero or not.
I guess it will boil down to what kind of games try to make use of it, and how well they do so. I for one would love to see the new AI put to good use, many games could be improved with better NPC AI - if something like Assassin's Creed III did this, that would probably make it worth £30 alone (although knowing UK prices, $50 will probably mean £50).
The RB/GH paripherials stand as the bellweather for para-console hardware, so much so that Activision made the incredibly poor decision to move DJ Hero forward even as the economy tanked and it became clear that no one was going to shell out the US$120 for it (and the reviews were actually quite positive as well). Odds are that MS is learning from the DJ Hero flop, using the data from its sales, marketing techniques, and criticisms to craft a better strategy for Natal. The low expected price is likely formuated from the need to push a large number of units in a short enuogh period of time to justify software which utilizes with hardware.

As for the price descrepency, I'm terribly sorry about the cost of games in England and Europe. 50 pounds is quite a jump from US$50 (don't have a pound sign on my keyboard and am too lazy to pop out word just for the symbol).

molesgallus

Sep 24, 2008
'For $50 I'd get one, I don't see why they don't bundle it with some mini games like wii play and the wiimote and do it for game price.'

For many reasons. At least one reason might be that the Wii isn't compatible with Natal.

(Sorry, I'll stop being a dick when you learn to write in grammatically correct English.)

molesgallus

Sep 24, 2008
The Gentleman said:
Xodion said:
The Gentleman said:
Xodion said:
The Gentleman said:
Ghonzor said:
Yay?

The RB/GH paripherials stand as the bellweather for para-console hardware, so much so that Activision made the incredibly poor decision to move DJ Hero forward even as the economy tanked and it became clear that no one was going to shell out the US$120 for it (and the reviews were actually quite positive as well). Odds are that MS is learning from the DJ Hero flop, using the data from its sales, marketing techniques, and criticisms to craft a better strategy for Natal. The low expected price is likely formuated from the need to push a large number of units in a short enuogh period of time to justify software which utilizes with hardware.

As for the price descrepency, I'm terribly sorry about the cost of games in England and Europe. 50 pounds is quite a jump from US$50 (don't have a pound sign on my keyboard and am too lazy to pop out word just for the symbol).

I think the real reason that Dj Hero flopped, is that people who enjoy the sort of music incorporated in the game, don't tend to be gamers. And the few that enjoy that music, and play games, don't have much to spend ion games. Also, Guitar Hero always had the 'party appeal', Dj Hero doesn't have that.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
molesgallus said:
The Gentleman said:
Xodion said:
The Gentleman said:
Xodion said:
The Gentleman said:
Ghonzor said:
Yay?

I think the real reason that Dj Hero flopped, is that people who enjoy the sort of music incorporated in the game, don't tend to be gamers. And the few that enjoy that music, and play games, don't have much to spend ion games. Also, Guitar Hero always had the 'party appeal', Dj Hero doesn't have that.
Two things:

1) Thread necromancy is bad.

2) The issue of the taste of music of the targeted audience for DJ Hero is debatable, as there is no clear co-relation between music preferences and gaming demographics. By some accounts, DJ Hero has the very kind of music that a significant portion of the core gaming demographic likes. By others, it lacked the necessary appeal to create substantial sucess. In other words, the music being to blame is less plausible than this price-economy line of reasoning. This is not to say that the music selection had nothing to do with the failure of the game, but rather that the primary reason for the failure was poor timing, not the music itself.