Analyst Says Darksiders Was A Disappointment for THQ

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
sln333 said:
Man, it got discounted 2 weeks after release. How well did they think it would do? It's one of the weaker titles out so far this year. Yahtzee's countless agonizing descriptions of the main character's look are enough to show the game can't be that great.
I would trust Yahtzee to give a good objective review about as much as I trust myself to perform open heart surgery with a whip saw and a pickaxe.

I'll form my own thoughts on the game once I rent it and power play it in a day.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
3rd person action games are feeling really yawnsome at the moment. I have not seen one I felt the need to buy since the first ninja Gaiden.

John Funk said:
Overall, Greenwald expects THQ's Q1 earnings to be around $347 million come March. While I'm sure there isn't a single one of us who wouldn't love to have made $347m in revenue in a quarter of a year, it all depends on how much they spent in that year - and if Greenwald's predictions about Darksiders are true, then THQ's hopes at achieving profitability may have just been severely undermined.
My understanding is that there is a new UFC game out this year. The first one sold like titty flavoured hot cakes so I'm not worried about THQs profitability just yet.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
While I'm sure there isn't a single one of us who wouldn't love to have made $347m in revenue in a quarter of a year, it all depends on how much they spent in that year - and if Greenwald's predictions about Darksiders are true, then THQ's hopes at achieving profitability may have just been severely undermined.
I thought the average cost of development for big title games these days is somewhere between 5 and 50 millions, so I'd call 350 millions of a revenue a big success, assuming of course, that this is the clean revenue, which it probably isn't. Clearly I know nothing about this industry ..

DC1

Jun 8, 2009
I didn't think it was going to make as much as the Saint's Row or Red Faction franchises. Better games were coming out at the time of it's release, anyway. It probably would have sold well as a Summer release.

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
Jeez they really must have localized their advertisments because my area was swamped with adverts for Darksiders. You really couldn't go 1 hour with out seeing an advertisment on TV.

As for profitability what do people expect, it's a new IP. I thought for it being Vigil's first game it really wasn't all that bad.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
1. THe marketing for Darksiders was piss poor at best. The first time I ever heard of it was when I was in the local gamestore and they were asking if I wanted to preorder it TWO DAYS before it released. Releasing it with absolutely zero real marketing during a season when every company is releasing their AAA+ titles is a guaranteed way to make sure your game never even registers as a blip on 90% of the market's radar.

Nobody even had a chance to decide between it and Bayonetta because the only thing we heard about was Bayonetta..

2. Who are these "Analysts" I keep reading about?! They seem to make a living making all sorts of claims and such, but seriously who do they work for, how are they gathering their information, and more importantly, who is seeking them out to get their opinions?! I want that job.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I think this person is disappointed because Darksiders wasn't another Warhammer 40k game; which, given the art style, can fool anyone.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Thalking about biased oppinions the only time i heard about this game was because Yahtzee made the review... and then i have just heard about it twice

its weird how publicity campaigns can work... or if you are THQ dont do one and hope someone notices

VGCATZ

Nov 23, 2007
CD-R said:
Sparrow said:
I didn't see any advertisements for this thing, whatsoever. Not even a web banner. Yet, even though it sold well, this guy thinks THQ will be disappointed regardless?

Really?
There were TV ads on all the time for it.
It seems that the marketing campaign may have been a little targetted. Sky One was practically running on ads in the UK and Ireland for the weeks leading up to the release of the game. Though that may say more for what Sky charge and are capable of doing to get the game out there then about the ad campaign in general

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Not surprised actually. I didn't really like the look of the game. Plus at time of release so many other games in same genre came out. Like Bayonetta.

Trifixion

Infamous Scribbler
Oct 13, 2009
I saw dozens of TV commercials for it. There was a huge display for it at the local Gamestop. There were banner ads on several of the webcomics I frequent. Guess it must've been localized to the U.S.

On the other hand, I didn't see a single Bayonetta ad until after the game was released. Very odd.

Johnny Danger

Oct 19, 2008
I live in the US and I only heard small glimpses here and there when previews would pop up on various sites. It really didn't seemed to be pushed hard at all.

That said, this is one the best games I've played in a long time and would have been a top contender for my favorite game of 2009 if it had been released a couple weeks earlier.

Unoriginal gameplay mechanics aside, what they "borrowed" is executed well and in the end I had a ton of fun with the game. I can't remember the last game I played 6 hours straight and still wanted to keep playing.

This seems to be a very dividing game though. It just bugs me when people knock it without even playing the damn thing like they have some sort of horrible bias.

Niracas

Dec 3, 2009
I saw quite a few commercials for this game, and I went and bought it. Although it was a short game I feel it was worth the 60 dollars I shelled out. I didnt think it was a complete God of War clone and the story was pretty solid. This guy sounds like a total douche to me.

Niracas

Dec 3, 2009
Johnny Danger said:
I live in the US and I only heard small glimpses here and there when previews would pop up on various sites. It really didn't seemed to be pushed hard at all.

That said, this is one the best games I've played in a long time and would have been a top contender for my favorite game of 2009 if it had been released a couple weeks earlier.

Unoriginal gameplay mechanics aside, what they "borrowed" is executed well and in the end I had a ton of fun with the game. I can't remember the last game I played 6 hours straight and still wanted to keep playing.

This seems to be a very dividing game though. It just bugs me when people knock it without even playing the damn thing like they have some sort of horrible bias.
I agree completely with you Johnny, this is one of the few games I actually felt like playing over on the hardest difficulty. Also trying to get every extra thing in it done. Hell even after that I still went around and slaughtered demons for fun.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Hehe hehe the topics first word starts with anal hehe hehe.

Beavis and Butthead aside, i thought it was a sure investment seeing as it's supposedly a GoW/zelda hybrid with WoW graphics-style. I thought games like that, who just copied popular games we're made cause they we're bound for succes.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
CD-R said:
Sparrow said:
I didn't see any advertisements for this thing, whatsoever. Not even a web banner. Yet, even though it sold well, this guy thinks THQ will be disappointed regardless?

Really?
There were TV ads on all the time for it.
I didn't see a single TV advert or indeed any adverts at all for this game. Not a great loss, apparently.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Even though this subject has been beaten to death, I was pretty interested after I heard it got great reviews. I saw the box art however and went "right.....Todd McFarlene is on performance enhancers" It just looked generic and a bit silly, I could not get past the feel of the box art.
When I actually read the review which gave it 10/10 I was really put off by the fact it was copying other games that are renowned for being unoriginal. It just felt like I'd seen it a million times and probably like a lot of people I was looking at my bank account and the release list thinking "Hmmm, AVP, Bioshock 2 Mass Effect 2....nah, I might get it when it goes down" I'd never judge a game by it's cover or theme but there are too many Gothic brawlfests out I'm not bothered trying to pick one.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Having watched games rise and fall over the years I have this to day to developers: if you want to maximize the profits and popularity of your game, then avoid religious themes, and when you do include them, keep it general, and keep it positive.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
The only thing I heard about this before its release was a quick comment from a friend. I didn't see one advert for it until after it had been released. They have only themselves to blame...

I might pick it up when it comes down in price a bit further.