Analysts Forecast PS3 Market Dominance By 2010

Shawn Andrich

Aug 4, 2006
Analysts Forecast PS3 Market Dominance By 2010

Despite low launch numbers and a delay in Europe, Research And Markets believes the PS3 will sell 75 million units by 2010, retaining the market lead.

In the teaser for their full report, Research And Markets highlights some of their bold predictions for the game industry in 2010. The top among them that the PS3 would continue to lead the market, although the Xbox 360 and the Wii would close the gap thanks to delays in Europe and a slow start for Sony's system.

"The PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360, dubbed the next generation of consoles, each hold a unique position with regard to console offerings," claims the report. "While Sony and Microsoft aim towards increased functionality as a key driver for adoption, Nintendo look for innovative game play and the elusive fun factor."

The company also expects the U.S. to be the largest console market by 2010 while the worldwide install base grows overall.

The full report [http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/c47765], which also focuses on "key drivers" for the next-generation systems, can be read for as little as US$2,676.

uk_john

Jan 1, 2007
Two points. Nobody has any idea how the buying public are going react to a £600/$900 plus pricepoint in Europe, because there has never been a machine anywhere near that pricepoint. European customers are barely willing to pay that for a PC! The take up in the U.S. has been slow with a glut of units, so that's a negative sign that's been ignored; and 75 million units in 3 years is telling us that the video gaming market will shrink marketedly if the PS3 ia the best seller with those numbers..

Isn't it interesting that so many 'independent' researchers always put a positive spin on the numbers? Could it be their customers are mostly in the industry so they have to keep them 'sweet'?!

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
One thing damaging the credibility of this prediction, in my eyes, is the fact that I walked into several stores over the weekend to see PS3's just sitting on the shelves. Additionally, if you take a look at eBay, some PS3 auctions are now closing at below retail price. For a newly launched system with rather low supply, this isn't a really good sign for the future.

The Wii, with a similar launch date and similarly limited supply (though not as limited) is still not to be found, and is selling for $50-$150 higher on eBay.

It looks to me that the PS3 is launching more like the PSP than the PS2. Given the current market, I can't see the PS3 exhibiting dominance without something major changing.

heavyfeul

Sep 5, 2006
I won't even fork over fifty bucks to my local fortune tellers and they what $2,676? At least my local fortune tellers will talk about me and the chances of them being right are probably about the same.

This seems to run counter to other market forecasts I have seen. Sony, is that you I see behind the curtain?

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
Yeah, well, analysts forecast a lot of things. In fact, I am fairly certain that every possible outcome for this round has already been forecast.

heavyfeul

Sep 5, 2006
Seems like market research is a good racket. Hire a few PhD's to lend some credibility, get some researchers to collect data, and charge a few thousand to all those willing to pay for your, "guesstimate." Better yet, just become a schill for the industry/company whose stock price will benefit most from your "objective" findings. That way you don't have to do as much work and you still get paid. I need a career change. Sounds like easy money to me.

Actually, one of those political think tanks seems like an even cushier job. Just tow the party line with some statistics and get paid handsomely for it. No real thinking involved really. Just some pseudoscience and punditry.

I am tired of helping to create a real world product. I want a job that makes bank off of a yet to be realized conclusion. A modern day snake oil salesman, if you will.