Analysts say Battlefield 5 may put EA's financial guidance at risk.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I can't say I'm sad that people aren't preordering a AAA game in droves. I've already argued that Pre-order culture is fucking bullshit and just gives developers less incentive to make games good if they know people will buy them regardless.

We'll see if the game is actually good in a couple months.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Maybe the market just doesnt really want a WW2 BF right now.

Like, given the nature of pre-orders and internet culture. I'd say you could make a strong argument that the core audience who pre-order FPS games, doesnt have a huge cross over with the core audience that cares about internet controversy. I feel like this is a fair assumption, as most of the people who are concerned about these things are pretty strongly againt pre-orders.

With that (fairly reasonable) set of assumptions, the lack of pre-orders likely has no real relation to any perception of SJW culture around the game.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hey question. Everyone saying BFV was claiming to be historically accurate? According to whom?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
erttheking said:
Hey question. Everyone saying BFV was claiming to be historically accurate? According to whom?
I don?t think they did make the claim, but it?s been a long standing expectation of the series.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
The fact that this became a big story really is weird. Why do we care about the sales of EA? Why do we care about the new battlefield. There are 16 battlefield games that we can play already and nobody likes EA anyway. And now this has become the newest hill to die on in our ongoing culture wars. I partake in those culture wars too but this shit is so petty it reminds you that we all take videogames way too seriously.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
So this is how far the pre-order culture has come. We're now supposed to care about EA and the fact that one of their games might be a commercial failure just because not enough people are willing to pay for it before they get to play it. Fuck pre-orders and fuck EA. I hope they go bankrupt.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Pseudonym said:
The fact that this became a big story really is weird. Why do we care about the sales of EA? Why do we care about the new battlefield. There are 16 battlefield games that we can play already and nobody likes EA anyway. And now this has become the newest hill to die on in our ongoing culture wars. I partake in those culture wars too but this shit is so petty it reminds you that we all take videogames way too seriously.
Adam Jensen said:
So this is how far the pre-order culture has come. We're now supposed to care about EA and the fact that one of their games might be a commercial failure just because not enough people are willing to pay for it before they get to play it. Fuck pre-orders and fuck EA. I hope they go bankrupt.
Normally I wouldn't mind, but the reasons behind the lack of pre-orders are indicative of a growing ugliness within society. And while BF5 is a small hill to die on, it's disconcerting to imagine how much worse things might get. Battlefield's taken far more severe liberties with historical accuracy in the past (Secret Weapons of WWII being the example that comes to mind), but given how things have changed over 14 years...well, see for yourself.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Somebody smiled at me in the street the other day. I smiled back, not knowing who they were, but then found out they were actually just smiling at a person they already knew behind me. Very embarrassing. I think I shall be very cautious about smiling back at strangers from now on.

Also, pre-orders are crap. COD loyal fanbase may just be composed of more loyal idiots than battlefield. EA have been hemorrhaging trust over so many years and games now too, especially with pre-orders and cut content.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Gordon_4 said:
erttheking said:
I don?t think they did make the claim, but it?s been a long standing expectation of the series.
Is it? I imagine it?s realistic by the shallow level of gaming, but the last battlefield had automatic weaponry everywhere and no one gave a crap. I mean I did, but I was in the minority.

Apr 5, 2008
I called it in the other thread about the insertion of women into the game to pander to the SJWs. I called it and I was right; no one is buying it, least of all those defending it. They're appealing to an audience that doesn't exist or at the least doesn't buy games like that and by promoting leftist ideology over gameplay they're ruining their own franchise and bottom line. The lead exec, Patrick Soderlund was let go for the unmitigated disaster this game is.

I said not one person who was defending that game for portrayal of the wamin in the game would pre-order it, and I was right. It's an exercise in virtue signalling and serves EA right for pandering. I'm kinda glad all these SJW things are getting made tho, because each time they inevitably fail I hope that companies are learning. It's a foolish hope, but you never know.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
erttheking said:
Gordon_4 said:
erttheking said:
Is it? I imagine it?s realistic by the shallow level of gaming, but the last battlefield had automatic weaponry everywhere and no one gave a crap. I mean I did, but I was in the minority.
You forgot the auto-tracking gps-guided hyper-accurate artillery of that damn armored train. "Historical Accuracy"....Sure.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Windknight said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
It's almost like the developers told their audience that they are uneducated/on the wrong side of history and should not buy it if they didn't like what they saw. Looks like they got exactly what they wanted, congrats EA/DICE!
(shrugs) if you think women didn't fight in world war two, then yes you are both. Maybe not the politest way to put it, but its the truth.
Completely disregarding that.. Hasn't there been only one trailer out for this game, one that clearly shows multiplayer gameplay representation, with the accompanying nonsensical tone of characters with hooks for hands, blue paint on their faces, and wielding cricket bats?

Why exactly are people mad at this entry not being "historically accurate" -- It's the friggin' multiplayer! If it was the campaign (which still, women did fight in WW2), I could maybe sorta understand some people being mad they're forced to not play the gruff manly man soldier. But.. it's the multiplayer; you can pick your own damn character. If you don't want to be a woman you don't have to be. Seriously, what's the big fucking deal?

Not that I'm going to feel sorry for any financial setbacks that befall EA, but if it's because 'Uuuuugh, women in multiplayer WW2', sheesh..

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Completely disregarding that.. Hasn't there been only one trailer out for this game, one that clearly shows multiplayer gameplay representation, with the accompanying nonsensical tone of characters with hooks for hands, blue paint on their faces, and wielding cricket bats?
Four by this point, if I recall them all correctly. The first was the multiplayer teaser, then there was the extended multiplayer trailer showing off the Narvik map, a trailer teasing the Norwegian SP war story and recently a new multiplayer trailer showing off the Rotterdam map and teasing the battle royale mode.

So the marketing this far has been pretty sub-par when compared to prior DICE outings (both Battlefield and Battlefront). On top of that a lot of game have been struggling with pre-orders this year, especially in the fall bracket, because they have to compete with Red Dead Redemption 2 (BO4 is also under performing so far, though not to the same extent). To this we can add that pre-orders have been on decline for a long time and that BFV might have lower then expected pre-order numbers, but they are not weak by any accounts. Then there's the fact that they are doing an open beta in two weeks, which is likely to lead to a major influx of pre-orders.

Maybe the storm in a tea cup outrage about the womenz and blackz has affected pre-orders to some degree, though it is unlikely to have had much of an impact considering that Battlefield occupies the same space as Call of Duty in gaming. That is, the space where filthy casuals and bro gamers tend to make up the vast majority of players, because the game is so very, very mainstream and high profile. It is most certainly the casual gamers that are failing in pre-orders, likely because RDR2 is the game they are spending their gaming budget for October/the fall bracket on.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
KingsGambit said:
I said not one person who was defending that game for portrayal of the wamin in the game would pre-order it, and I was right.
One person commented on your post saying that he was defending the game and pre-ordered it. He asked if you wanted the order number. Gonna have to ask you to knock it off with the revisionist history.

Also citation needed on it being because of the womez. I'm not sure why you want to frame it as gamers will refuse to buy a game with a woman on the cover in their already historically not that accurate games, but I want to give them some credit.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Should be interesting seeing how BioWare's death knell... I mean Anthem will perform when that goes up for pre-order.

Maybe people are finally starting to realize that EA are a horrible publisher and are taking their business elsewhere.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
erttheking said:
Gordon_4 said:
erttheking said:
Plenty of people ''gave a crap'' about too many automatic weapons, I saw people complaining about it pretty often.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Hawki said:
Normally I wouldn't mind, but the reasons behind the lack of pre-orders are indicative of a growing ugliness within society. And while BF5 is a small hill to die on, it's disconcerting to imagine how much worse things might get.
Maybe more people will stop pre-ordering games. The horror!

Feb 26, 2014
Adam Jensen said:
Hawki said:
Normally I wouldn't mind, but the reasons behind the lack of pre-orders are indicative of a growing ugliness within society. And while BF5 is a small hill to die on, it's disconcerting to imagine how much worse things might get.
Maybe more people will stop pre-ordering games. The horror!
I think Hawki is more concerned about the potential decline in diversity in games because of the possibility of EA's failure after taking a stand for the inclusion of female avatars in BF5. I'm not entirely concerned, though. Even if EA fails, the successes of Horizon Zero Dawn, Nier Automata, Hellblade, Uncharted Lost Legacy, and Tomb Raider speak for themselves. Hell, The Last of Us 2 is one of the most anticipated games coming out 2019 and Overwatch is one of the most popular and diverse games out right now. No matter how much anyone wants to shout about how pandering to sjws will lead to failure, they'll be unmistakably wrong.

So, let EA flop I say. After the Battlefront controversy and years of ruining their own games, I think a little hesitation when buying their games is a given. There's also the fact that BF5 is releasing right next to RDR2 so... yeah. Good luck with that EA.