Volkov

Dec 4, 2010
lostzombies.com said:
Volkov said:
lostzombies.com said:
Volkov said:
lostzombies.com said:
You are wherever you were born, End Of.

Claiming decent from other countries is for people who feel the need to justify themselves and/do those who are ashamed of their born country and try to leach some kind of stereotype from a foreign one.
Wait, what if you immigrated when you were a week old? Or 2 years old? Are you still "wherever you were born"?
Yes
How about if both your parents are from X, and you were born in Y (i.e., military brat), and then moved back to X? Does that rule still hold?
Still holds, your country is wherever you are born.
So the children of the US military personnel in, say, South Korea, are South Korean (if born there)? That's stupid.

Kumomaru

May 21, 2008
I say 'Texan' if I'm asked where i'm from. If i'm asked what race i am, i say anglo. I've never been directly asked 'what is your heritage' but i think i'd just ask them to clarify until they directly told me race or geographical location.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
Volkov said:
lostzombies.com said:
Volkov said:
lostzombies.com said:
Volkov said:
lostzombies.com said:

Claiming decent from other countries is for people who feel the need to justify themselves and/do those who are ashamed of their born country and try to leach some kind of stereotype from a foreign one.
Wait, what if you immigrated when you were a week old? Or 2 years old? Are you still "wherever you were born"?
Yes
How about if both your parents are from X, and you were born in Y (i.e., military brat), and then moved back to X? Does that rule still hold?
So the children of the US military personnel in, say, South Korea, are South Korean (if born there)? That's stupid.
No, that's the law. If the US citizen parent fails to report birth to a US embassy at the time the child is born, they cannot claim US citizenship.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Woodsey said:
I don't know, but it annoys me no end.

I'm British. I was born in Britain, I have a British passport, I'm a British citizen. That's it. There's no need for me to mention that I'm like an 1/8 Jewish, or whatever other races/nationalities that hold no bearing on me whatsoever.

No shit, you were born in a 300-year-old country, OF COURSE you're going to have foreign ancestry, that's not what you are though. You're American. Nationality doesn't flow through your damn blood, its a line on a map, and even then it'll become redundant for some people when the lines inevitably get redrawn.

So yeah, if I ask you your nationality, don't tell me where every member of your family came from.

[sub]If that seems just a tad rant-y, its because its a pet hate.[/sub]

Freechoice said:
emeraldrafael said:
Well... I'm partially Native AMerican, so I guess when I say I'm American, I'm "more" American then other people would be.
Same.

Oh, and funny thing happened last week. I was called an American fascist.

By a German.
World War 2 mentality still going strong I see. *sigh*
This. I get tired of my friends trying to remember if they are 1/10th German or French. It doesn't matter. You were born and grew up in America. Guess what you are?

Volkov

Dec 4, 2010
lostzombies.com said:
Volkov said:
lostzombies.com said:
Volkov said:
lostzombies.com said:
Volkov said:
lostzombies.com said:

Yes
No, that's the law. If the US citizen parent fails to report birth to a US embassy at the time the child is born, they cannot claim US citizenship.
First, I'd like source for that. Second, that's actually entirely irrelevant. Whether or not your birth is reported, the child is still born in South Korea - and this does NOT make them South Korean if both parents are from the States, and the kid will move to the States likely before he learns to read.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Given my father's a first-generation Irish immigrant and I still tend to just say "British", it doesn't apply personally, but I'd say that generally people feel that a bit of foreign ancestry adds a bit of exotica to them, even if it's not particularly direct.

Even if it's fairly far back that your ancestors are foreign, it can still have some bearing on the way a person is raised, though.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
Volkov said:
lostzombies.com said:
Volkov said:
lostzombies.com said:
Volkov said:
lostzombies.com said:
Volkov said:
lostzombies.com said:

Yes
First, I'd like source for that. Second, that's actually entirely irrelevant. Whether or not your birth is reported, the child is still born in South Korea - and this does NOT make them South Korean if both parents are from the States, and the kid will move to the States likely before he learns to read.
Well get off your ass and look it up. I know it's a fact if you don't believe me then either go look it up for yourself or take my word on it. Regardless of if you think it's irrelevant or not, that's the law and therefore is completely relevant.