Ancient Half-Life: Episode 3 Concept Art Surfaces

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Ancient Half-Life: Episode 3 Concept Art Surfaces

Four-year-old pictures of Alyx Vance in earmuffs has Half Life fans all atwitter.

The pictures you see below is a choice selection of some 32 pieces of concept art - allegedly for the long-awaited Half Life: Episode 3 - posted by Valve Time, a website devoted to mockery of Valve's notoriously dodgy timekeeping.

[gallery=810]

Assuming this concept art is real and even remotely relevant - it was created back in 2008 after all - Episode 3 will likely feature a great deal of snow and ice, as you may have guessed from the heavy foreshadowing in Episode 2. We have crashed helicopters, what appears to be an arctic variant of the combine trooper, a weird, Lovecraftian swirly thing and a few concepts of lovable sidekick, Alyx Vance, in various cold-weather gear. In one of them, she's wearing her dad's clothes, which is only mildly creepy. There's also a rather psychedelic piece that seems to resemble Xen, the much-loathed alternate dimension that played host to the final act of the original Half Life.

Episode 2 was released back in 2007 - and this is the first notable bit of news we've had on the third and final installment of the episodic series since then. It's unlikely Episode 3, if and when it's finally released, will resemble this concept art particularly closely. Then again, it's seeming increasingly unlikely that I'll live to see said release on account of my non-augmented human lifespan, so I'll take what I can get.

Source: Valve Time [www.valvetime.net/threads/exclusive-half-life-2-episode-3-concept-art.206815/]

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Sorry it took too long to reply, I shooped my TV and had to buy a new one.

These little trickles of odds and ends, assuming it is real, is going to make me go so bald that I will grow hair toward the inside of my brain.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Sis said:
People hated Xen?
This is relevant. I'm sorry about your free time.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DisappointingLastLevel?from=Main.XenSyndrome

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
I actually quite liked Xen...

I doubt any of this will make the final cut. Seems that devolpment of Epi... erm... Half Life 3 has been going on so long now they probably done a complete overhaul like with Portal 2 at least once.

Captcha: "Total Shamble". While Lord Inglip's views on this subject are by no means positive, sometimes one can't help but agree with them...

(By the by, the source link doesn't work)

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
i always like looking over concept art, and i liked these there pretty.
hope some more surfaces.

also this:
[quote/] she's wearing her dad's clothes, which is only mildly creepy. [/quote]
I am still laughing at this

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
PureIrony said:
Sis said:
People hated Xen?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DisappointingLastLevel?from=Main.XenSyndrome
I could tell I was being trolled when they called the last level of Half-Life 2 a crowning moment of awesome. They forced the gravity gun on you by actually making it work and fun for a change?

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Daverson said:
(By the by, the source link doesn't work)
It's also apparently down at the moment. Attracting the attention of the entire Half-Life fanbase will do that.

rhizhim said:
if more surfaces, i bet some dedicated fans will make episode 3. shameonyouvalve
Considering it's so far taken fans even longer to produce a remake of Half-Life than Valve have taken to make all three episodes combined, I doubt this would work. Valve Time is a virus; it spreads to the users through the games.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Site with pictures that works. For now.
http://lambdageneration.com/posts/hl2-episode-three-concept-art-leaked-possible-spoilers/

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
:O so does this mean we get to go back to Xen?

I actually quite liked Xen... the platforming was frustrating... but it looked cool...<.<

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Sis said:
PureIrony said:
Sis said:
People hated Xen?
I could tell I was being trolled when they called the last level of Half-Life 2 a crowning moment of awesome. They forced the gravity gun on you by actually making it work and fun for a change?
Unbalanced as it was, you can't deny that the Gravity Gun was awesome. I mean, you spent the entire level effortlessly throwing around hordes of combine.

Even when supercharged, though, the damn thing is unwieldy. The only reason the final boss in Half-Life 2 is difficult is because the boss forces you to take careful aim, which is impossible because whatever I'm holding takes up 80% of the screen.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I like to pretend that somehow I get a time machine and go into the future until Half Life 3 (or whatever is the next Half Life game is) is out at game stores and steal one and bring it back to our time and do a let's play of it....god I'm so alone lol

I quite like the art, it's very nice though it just makes me sad too.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Sacman said:
:O so does this mean we get to go back to Xen?

I actually quite liked Xen... the platforming was frustrating... but it looked cool...<.<
I too would love for Half-Life 3 to include a revisit to Xen.

I know a lot of people complain about that portion of the first game, but honestly? I rather liked it. It was a drastic change of pace from the rest of the game; and in some ways, unfortunately, for the worse. However, I never found the platform hopping to be that difficult, so I was able to enjoy those sections more than most, I suppose.

Admittedly, if I had had trouble with them, I'd probably have just as much disgust for Xen as most others do. But, seeing as I didn't, I liked it. Loved it even.

Still, the Citadel sections in Half-Life 2, which were very much an extension of the ideas Valve had for Xen, played MUCH better. So here's hoping, assuming we do return to Xen in Half-Life 3, that it plays more like the Citadel finale and not the first games finale.