Ancient PopCap Original Comes to iOS for Free

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Ancient PopCap Original Comes to iOS for Free

A long-forgotten PopCap game is now available for iPhone and iPad - so come on, everyone, hop on the Candy Train.

Back before PopCap was the giant of the casual games industry, it was a website where you could go to play fun Flash games. One of those games was a silly little title where you guided a cartoon locomotive around to collect candy by building the railroad tracks in front of it. It was called Candy Train, and it was actually really fun - though in the wake of Bejeweled, Peggle and Plants vs. Zombies it seemed lost to time.

Until now. Following iTunes preview [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109012-PopCap-Mounts-the-Unpleasant-Horse], this release was actually thanks to one employee's affection for the long-forgotten title:

[blockquote]Candy Train was an old and nearly forgotten PopCap title from many years ago. However, an aspiring game programmer, working in a different part of the company, loved Candy Train and thought it would be a great game for iPhones, iPod touches and iPads and so she started working in her free time to create a new version specifically, for these devices. She poured equal amounts of sweat, tears and love into this iOS adaptation of Candy Train and we think it's great enough to share with the world.

And, by the way, the powers-that-be were so impressed that Sophia now works as a game programmer in PopCap's game studio! We hope you enjoy this second release from 4th & Battery ...[/blockquote]

Speaking personally for a moment, I friggin' loved Candy Train back in the day - so much thanks to the lone PopCap programmer who did the work, and for PopCap itself for making it happen.

Now make an Android version. Please?

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Downloading....

Coincidence actually as I just finished downloading peggle on my iphone about 10 minute before I found this article.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Now make an Android version. Please?"
Hahaha, so true!

Still a great effort from one lone person! :)
Glad she got promoted :D

nifedj

Nov 12, 2009
I think I'll go get that...

It's nice when developers do little things like this. Well done Sophia!

batti

Mar 18, 2009
i remember playing this one years ago on their website
awesome of them(if only i actually had an iPod touch deriative :()

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This isn't Psychobabble. I wish they would bring that back.

P.S. Thanks

Adam28

Feb 28, 2011
Got it earlier, quite enjoyable. Great game to play while listening to podcasts.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
You got me all excited! I'm terrible at these kinds of puzzles... Everyone else, go enjoy, for I will suffer in the agony of confectionary popcap puzzle failure...

Theesacpee90

Dec 14, 2010
This game looks like it might give me a major headache. I am looking forward to Karma Kingdom, anyone heard of it?