And the Nominees Are...

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
And the Nominees Are...

MovieBob gives you the edge in your office Oscar poll by breaking down the nominees.

Read Full Article

SpaceSpork

May 15, 2009
Thanks, Moviebob, for calling The King's Speech on what it is. Everyone around me seems to think that it was some magnificent film, to be held upon the pedestal of highest honor. I thought it was OK. Maybe good. I dunno. I liked Colin Firth, but a predictable plotline and lazy cinematography and directing brought the whole thing down.

(By the way: No Christopher Nolan in Best Director? No Leonardo DeCaprio in best actor for Inception? BULLSHEET)

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
Must say the Kings Speech was an excellent movie, i hope it wins many Oscars, with that said I have not seen Black Swan, The Fighter, Toy Story 3, True Grit, Winter's Bone. I have seen Inception and it was a decent movie but I do not think it is Oscar worthy. I do not plan on seeing True Grit even though Jeff Bridges is a good actor nobody could ever top The Duke aka John Wayne in the original.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
The most surprising for me, was Trent Reznor's nominations for The social network.

It was awful, and only distracted from an otherwise great film.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Outright Villainy said:
The most surprising for me, was Trent Reznor's nominations for The social network.

It was awful, and only distracted from an otherwise great film.
Trent is a great musical artist, he'll never win but just throwing him up there is good enough. I also would love to attempt to explain why the Power Rangers would be in the audience to my folks, that would easily make sitting through the entire awards worth it instead of just seeing the results online afterwards and youtubing the funny moments an acceptance speeches I want to.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I join the chorus of people who hoped for a Daft Punk nomination for score. It stands as the only soundtrack for a movie (outside of musicals) that I have bought; it can stand on it's own as a regular album, and I hope it at least gets a Grammy.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I'd like to see Toy Story win Best Picture. It will probably win Best Animated, and that'll be the excuse as to why it didn't win. To be honest though, I don't think it deserves to win Best Picture (it wasn't Pixar's best movie in my opinion- UP was), which isn't to say anything bad about it. I just want it to win to help champion the cause of modern western animation before the tide of sub-par western Animation and Anime crushes all the animation-starved Americans because of the ignorant views of it being "just for kids."

If I were to make a totally unbiased vote though, it'd probably be for Winter's Bone or maybe Inception. Those were the two that were most truly trying new things. Though, I'm still soured on Inception for being about dreams, but focusing mostly on a series of interchangeable gunfights when "anything is possible."

Also: While I'm sure Natalie Portman is deserving of her Oscar (I don't know, I didn't see it), I'd rather see Lawrence win, since she really made Winter's Bone come alive for me.

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
Naturally, no love for Scott Pilgrim, but that's the only movie I went to see in theaters last year (on my birthday) and want to own.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
And may this be the last time we have to hear Bob lament over Scott Pilgrim. For crying out loud, Marmaduke made more money than that clunker. It was way too much of niche movie to ever have any real success.

So, Bob... get past it, and move on. Thank you.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
I loved your description of James Franco as Zany-Art-School-Performance-Artist-Currently-Doing-Movies-For-The-Lulz. I heard an interview with him on NPR and it definitely sounds like he only does movies because it pays for what he wants to do.

I wish Scott Pilgrim could have been nominated for something as well. That movie was nicely put together and translated. I think it's the most successful translation of video games into movie form yet.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
I think Christian Bale has already been slowly burning out over the last few years. Aside from the incidents, when ever he has no work he seems to end up looking like a hobo, as if he doesn't know what to do when he's Christian Bale rather than Bruce Wayne John Connor or the likes.

But he has earned an Oscar by now.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Why the hell was Tron snubbed for costuming? What other movie had the characters actually wearin costumes? And Daft Punk's soundtrack snub... that's practically criminal, there's no way they don't deserve to be on that list. (Apart from Iron Man 2)

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
You know, I haven't seen The Kings Speech yet however I watched the trailer that's been on T.V and I've seen it advertised and I really don't want it to win anything. Reason? because its Oscar bait, its begging for it so much that its not even funny. I mean look at the time of release, its been strategically placed for winning an Oscar, as close as you can get to the Oscar date when screw all else is out just to make sure its up on that list.

So yeah, that's my reason. Other genuinely good films this year have been snubbed out for this film. Hey the film might be pretty good and well acted but that doesn't change the fact that it is Oscar bait in its purest form. Christ the director here has out Oscar baited Clint Eastwood which does take effort.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
well, not surprised at scott pilgrim getting nothing. the walking corpses who decide this sort of thing would definitely cower behind their mahogany desks when presented with a movie as energetic and bright as that. same goes for daft punk. at least they didnt ignore inception.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Just a couple of points I'd like to make regarding the article. While I'd like Natalie Portman to win Best Actress, I think its more likely to go to Annette Benning as the Best X award is often used to award a long term actor/actress for their full body of work rather then just the film (see Sandra Bullock last year). This is also the reason why Hailee Steinfeld is nominated for supporting actress as its very unlikely that a newcomer (and a child actress at that) would take home Best Actress.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I'm really annoyed at these nominations for one reason: Toy Story 3 is on the Best Picture shortlist. Normally I would be ecstatic at this news, seeing as how my second-favourite film of the year got nominated for best picture and has a slim but possible chance at winning it all, but my favourite film of the year gets my vote for Best Animated film. No, really, I only liked one film better than Toy Story 3 in 2010 and it was How to Train Your Dragon. This makes my Oscar wishlist look extremely stupid, and for that I am irked.

Also,
Dear MovieBob,

That Christian Bale letter had me in stitches. Thank you for the larf.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Thinking about it, yeah, Tron: Legacy did get a bad snub. No love for Daft Punk's music or the visuals? SHAME ON YOU, ACADEMY.

And even more shame for no nods for Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

lazinesslord

Jun 13, 2010
*sigh* I wish Scott Pilgrim got nominated for something as well.
Also, I really want Toy Story 3 to win.