And this is why Animation is superior to Live Action. (New Images of Live Action Teen Titans show)

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
undeadsuitor said:
Samtemdo8 said:
undeadsuitor said:
Oh no

A tv show with a tv show budget can't make movie quality costumes and cgi

The nerve of them
Daredevil and the Flash would like to have a word with you.

let's be honest here, you're comparing shows that have had multiple seasons and increased budgets with leaked paparazzi footage

stop being dishonest with your comparisons.
This doesn't really make much sense, both those images are of characters that look like their comic book counterparts, both of which where made on the cheaper side. Yes DareDevil is the de facto flagship series of Netflix now given the fact it's the most popular orignial series on the service, but that's because the old flagship died. Titans is supposed to be the flagship for its streaming service right from the getgo.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
RobertEHouse said:
With that said , the leaked photos were intentionally and where meant to draw the "Internets attention". That P.R world like a charm, now when the show hits the costumes will be completely different.
I don't know, if they're too far into production it may be too late to reverse course. It's certainly probably past the point of casting an actress for Starfire who looks the part. Plus look at its counterpart for CBS All Access that is Star Trek Discovery. While the initial reaction to the teaser trailer had the show postponed by a year, the ship redesigned and the cast shuffled (and four episodes thrown out and production restarted), the design we got in the end still sucks, the uniforms are still horrible, the characters are still horribly written, the list goes on.

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
Zontar said:
RobertEHouse said:
With that said , the leaked photos were intentionally and where meant to draw the "Internets attention". That P.R world like a charm, now when the show hits the costumes will be completely different.
I don't know, if they're too far into production it may be too late to reverse course. It's certainly probably past the point of casting an actress for Starfire who looks the part. Plus look at its counterpart for CBS All Access that is Star Trek Discovery. While the initial reaction to the teaser trailer had the show postponed by a year, the ship redesigned and the cast shuffled (and four episodes thrown out and production restarted), the design we got in the end still sucks, the uniforms are still horrible, the characters are still horribly written, the list goes on.
Most studios set up a collateral budget yearly for pilots and teasers, so either way they lose nothing. I am certain though if this finally does get made into full production, Starfire and the rest will not look like that. They might look better or worse depending on whom they have managed the research team.

The Star Trek teaser on the other hand was given hug a budget to draw not just attention not for the show, but for the newly created CBS All Access Service. When the teaser was the talk on the web and on forums/ TV, they pulled back from it. Eventually using radio and cheap web ads to keep people talking.Eventually, CBS pulled back much of the budget from Star Trek Discovery and leading it to look as the way it does.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
RobertEHouse said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Animation is certainly a more versatile medium than live action, but I wouldn't say it's inherently superior. However it is superior to whatever the hell THIS is supposed to be.

To be honest, from the actors and the bad designed costumes . I believe this actually could have been a pilot for the executives to see. When a pilot is set up usually done they don't always place the budget into effects or costumes like they would of should.

With that said , the leaked photos were intentionally and where meant to draw the "Internets attention". That P.R works like a charm, now when the show hits, the costumes will be completely different.IF not then this project was made to be a Tax write off for the production companies.

Still Starfire still looks like a Hooker.
Be that as it may this still looks hideous. Beast boy actually looks ok despite not having green skin, but Starfire looks horrendous. The only time I've seen her look worse was in that horrible Red Hood and the Outlaws... thing. And considering Starfire was my favorite character in the animated series this really gets under my skin.

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
Canadamus Prime said:
RobertEHouse said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Animation is certainly a more versatile medium than live action, but I wouldn't say it's inherently superior. However it is superior to whatever the hell THIS is supposed to be.

To be honest, from the actors and the bad designed costumes . I believe this actually could have been a pilot for the executives to see. When a pilot is set up usually done they don't always place the budget into effects or costumes like they would of should.

With that said , the leaked photos were intentionally and where meant to draw the "Internets attention". That P.R works like a charm, now when the show hits, the costumes will be completely different.IF not then this project was made to be a Tax write off for the production companies.

Be that as it may this still looks hideous. Beast boy actually looks ok despite not having green skin, but Starfire looks horrendous. The only time I've seen her look worse was in that horrible Red Hood and the Outlaws... thing. And considering Starfire was my favorite character in the animated series this really gets under my skin.
I understand completely, Yet, studios/companies and marketing teams don't usually show the same love for a character/show everyone does. Free P.R is Free P.R and to sell this show, this is exactly what appears to be happening.

A: People think the costumes look like crap
B: People think the actors are crap,
C: people like the actors ,
D: People like Character being played by (fill in Race or disability).

Whatever people's reactions are to this leaked photos of the shoot. Its brings attention to the production of this show and brings more free P.R.. Example of this is...

Was anyone besides diehard fans aware of this in Production?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Abomination said:
=

Starfire was always going to be a controversial character due to her in-your-face sexuality,
Isn't that a new(ish) take on her character? I thought Starfire was meant to be "the naieve one" or somesuch.

(Disclaimer that I'm really not a comics/superhero guy, so my knowledge is really lacking there.)

maninahat said:
These are clearly photos taken from the Teen Titan actors out of scene, not in character, wearing jackets over their costumes to keep warm. Of course they are going to look rubbish. People said the same thing (Moviebob included) when they saw leaked photos of catwoman from The Dark Night Rises set, only for her to go on and become the best thing in the movie.
Um, really? She was okay, but I'd say Bane stole the show characterwise.

Samtemdo8 said:
You know it makes me wonder how the hell are the gonna make this show work in Live Action because the 3 of them have powers that are way too pricy to make work in live action, especially on TV/Steaming service.

Beast Boy turns into every animal from a micro-organism bacteria to a Whale.

Raven has all these shadow powers that she eminates.

Starfire flys and shoots starbolts and her hair is on fire.
And Robin...um...fights with a metal rod?

...why is he even here? It's like Batman being a member of the Justice League and making just as little sense. 0_0

Zontar said:
Yes DareDevil is the de facto flagship series of Netflix now given the fact it's the most popular orignial series on the service, but that's because the old flagship died.
Um, since when?

Most popular MCU show on Netflix? Sure, I could buy that. But as far as "de facto flagship series" goes, that's the first I've heard of it, and a quick search has people citing everything from House of Cards to Stranger Things as a "flagship series."
Zontar said:
While the initial reaction to the teaser trailer had the show postponed by a year, the ship redesigned and the cast shuffled (and four episodes thrown out and production restarted),
Source?

the design we got in the end still sucks,
Nup.

the uniforms are still horrible,
Nup.

the characters are still horribly written,
Nup.

the list goes on.
Does it?

RobertEHouse said:
The Star Trek teaser on the other hand was given hug a budget to draw not just attention not for the show, but for the newly created CBS All Access Service. When the teaser was the talk on the web and on forums/ TV, they pulled back from it. Eventually using radio and cheap web ads to keep people talking.Eventually, CBS pulled back much of the budget from Star Trek Discovery and leading it to look as the way it does.
Okay, again, source.

That two people are claiming the same thing does lend this credence, but this is the first I've heard of it. I remember the teaser trailer back in 2016, watching it with a bit of interest ("huh, they're making another Star Trek show. That's nice I guess."), and bemusement ("wow, people really hate the ship design."). Then you had the 2017 trailer, and while some negativity remained, the like:dislike ratio is far more positive. As for budget, again, first I've heard of it. I looked up the budget ($6-8 million per episode), which is pretty much the norm for TV (e.g. Daredevil has about 4 million per episode).

As for "looking the way it does," I don't know what that means. If we're talking about aesthetics, that's a different kettle of fish, but in terms of fidelity, it's probably the best Trek's ever been. Or even the design of the ship, compare something like this:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/File:USS_Discovery,_teaser_trailer.jpg (teaser trailer)

to this:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/File:USS_Discovery_in_Klingon_space.jpg (final design)

Might be down to opinion, but I think most would agree the final version looks a lot better than the original version.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
RobertEHouse said:
Canadamus Prime said:
RobertEHouse said:
Canadamus Prime said:

I understand completely, Yet, studios/companies and marketing teams don't usually show the same love for a character/show everyone does. Free P.R is Free P.R and to sell this show, this is exactly what appears to be happening.

A: People think the costumes look like crap
B: People think the actors are crap,
C: people like the actors ,
D: People like Character being played by (fill in Race or disability).

Whatever people's reactions are to this leaked photos of the shoot. Its brings attention to the production of this show and brings more free P.R.. Example of this is...

Was anyone besides diehard fans aware of this in Production?
I believe the word you're looking for is "publicity" nor PR, but yeah I get what you're saying. There's a reason the saying "No publicity is bad publicity" exists.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Hawki said:
Abomination said:
=

Starfire was always going to be a controversial character due to her in-your-face sexuality,
Isn't that a new(ish) take on her character? I thought Starfire was meant to be "the naieve one" or somesuch.
Depends on which version we're talking about.

In the comics she's usually depicted as a fish out of water character unfamiliar with Earth customs and with little to no hangups about nudity or sex. It's explained away by her species having different stardards for physical intimacy and not putting much value in clothes, partially because her species doesn't consider nudity unchaste, partially because their powers are fueled by ultraviolet radiation absorbed through the skin. In practice it means she sort of meanders between the "Innocent Fanservice Girl" and "All-Loving Hero" tropes, sometimes going into "Ethical Slut" territory, depending on the writer.

The 'naive and insecure' characterization you're thinking of it from the Teen Titans kids show, where they cut out the sexually liberated aspects, for obvious reasons.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Regarding the topic of "this is why animation is superior to Live action"

I had this opinion ever since I watched Fantasia and it blew me away. Along with certain CG animations.

Just to give an example, Shakespeare's Richard III was done beautifully in this animated adaption that it eclipses whatever live action play or film that came before it:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
undeadsuitor said:
So, if daredevil is the flagship and has a cheap close-enough costume, then teen titans is fine being a flagship with its cheap close-enough costumes
Don't know if you know, but the costume up there is his 'proto costume,' so to speak. He ends up with the traditional red one towards the end of the first season.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
undeadsuitor said:
Hawki said:
undeadsuitor said:
So, if daredevil is the flagship and has a cheap close-enough costume, then teen titans is fine being a flagship with its cheap close-enough costumes
Don't know if you know, but the costume up there is his 'proto costume,' so to speak. He ends up with the traditional red one towards the end of the first season.
Yeah I've seen daredevil.

Still applies, since were looking at these characters during the first season when they probably aren't heroes.

Plus we've seen robin in costume, so we know costumes exist.

Comparing proto daredevil to proto teen titans is an applicable comparison
The difference is that the Daredevil proto costume actually still looks good and functional. This supposed Starfire proto costume makes her look like a 1970s ghetto street walker.

Who approved that shit? It's a sign there is very little quality control at the helm.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
undeadsuitor said:
The coat she's wearing isn't part of the costume though. Much like how raven and beast boy are wearing coats in the off set shot while not during the on set one.

I mean, her outfit is a purple dress. wild
So the actress just wears a giant burgundy clown wig when they're cold too? Because it's more the wig than the jacket that's the issue. The dress underneath is a strange interpretation of Starfire's commonly depicted outfit as well.

One hopes that Raven's hair is not what they're going to use as the final product either. It looks greasy Michael Cera.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
Abomination said:
undeadsuitor said:
Hawki said:
undeadsuitor said:
Yeah I've seen daredevil.

Still applies, since were looking at these characters during the first season when they probably aren't heroes.

Plus we've seen robin in costume, so we know costumes exist.

Comparing proto daredevil to proto teen titans is an applicable comparison
The difference is that the Daredevil proto costume actually still looks good and functional. This supposed Starfire proto costume makes her look like a 1970s ghetto street walker.

Who approved that shit? It's a sign there is very little quality control at the helm.
The coat she's wearing isn't part of the costume though. Much like how raven and beast boy are wearing coats in the off set shot while not during the on set one.

I mean, her outfit is a purple dress. wild
I don't have a horse in this race as I've never followed Teen Titans, but I'm going to have to disagree. Considering the coat looks like a fur coat, compared to the all-weather coats the other actors are wearing, I think it is 100% part of the costume, and not just a coat for the actress to keep warm between shots. 70's ghetto street walker for the win.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Hawki said:
undeadsuitor said:

I kinda preferred the costume in season 2 than the one he got at the end of season 1 honestly.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Natemans said:
I kinda preferred the costume in season 2 than the one he got at the end of season 1 honestly.
Can't comment. Only seen season 1, ain't in any rush to see season 2.