"And you call yourself a gamer?!"

rileyrulesu

Jun 15, 2009
A little one that annoys me.

You make overused jokes about the cake in portal or navi being annoying, despite the fact that the phrase "the cake is a lie" was written in one location and Navi was actually helpful, and the "Hey, listen" only came like once every 5 minutes. Not mention she was nothing compared to that damned owl!

Mar 28, 2011
sluggyfreelancer said:
nothingspringstomind said:
sluggyfreelancer said:
Torrasque said:
brainless_fps_player said:
Torrasque said:
"You don't like kilts, football or bagpipes? And you don't hate the English? And you call yourself Scottish!"

Did you know that David Hume, among many other really important people, were Scottish?
How does William Wallace, an ignorant gangster who almost exclusively fought other Scottish people, meant to compare!?

And Bonnie Prince Charlie? A Catholic religious fundamentalist from France?? Really???
While your point is good sir, I am afraid you have missed the point of this thread :D
Yeah, well, it had to be said.

A relevant point might be that I don't prestige on CoD. Why not? Because I don't want to lose all my stuff for the sake of a teeny tiny permutation.
I agree. I never really got the point of Prestige-ing.
"Lose all my pretty guns, for some titles and emblems I won't use? No thanks".
I've only prestiged twice because I was bored.
imo, people that prestige care way too much about showing off their epeen.
Or, if you're like me, like to unlock stuff again. Don't know why, just like to unlock stuff.
Two words; Skinner Box
Point being?
The act of unlocking gives you pleasure. It's a fundemental principle of the game that you'll keep playing to unlock things that can have very little bearing on the gameplay.

It's that whole "One more level" psychology that we're all guilty of.

I've spent far too long on Mass Effect 2 in a night thanks to the Skinner Box framework.

If you haven't already seen it...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2487-The-Skinner-Box

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
I don't really call myself a gamer, so I never really get offended when someone insults me in such a way. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I am Gamer Lite.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
sluggyfreelancer said:
sluggyfreelancer said:
Torrasque said:
Torrasque said:
"You don't like kilts, football or bagpipes? And you don't hate the English? And you call yourself Scottish!"

Did you know that David Hume, among many other really important people, were Scottish?
How does William Wallace, an ignorant gangster who almost exclusively fought other Scottish people, meant to compare!?

And Bonnie Prince Charlie? A Catholic religious fundamentalist from France?? Really???
While your point is good sir, I am afraid you have missed the point of this thread :D

A relevant point might be that I don't prestige on CoD. Why not? Because I don't want to lose all my stuff for the sake of a teeny tiny permutation.
Or, if you're like me, like to unlock stuff again. Don't know why, just like to unlock stuff.
Two words; Skinner Box
Point being?
The act of unlocking gives you pleasure. It's a fundemental principle of the game that you'll keep playing to unlock things that can have very little bearing on the gameplay.

I've spent far too long on Mass Effect 2 in a night thanks to the Skinner Box framework.

Nevermind the fact that they undermined the whole point of that video when they advocated "gamification".
OP: People who just got into gaming and consider people who don't play the one series they have gotten into "not real gamers" greatly amuse me.

IvoryTowerGamer

Feb 24, 2011
Itsthatguy said:
Torrasque said:
The only one I can think of right now is:

You don't know what Pac Man is?
And you call yourself a gamer?
Iv got better

You cant play dwarf fortress?
You're willing to endure the horrible design of DF's UI?

IvoryTowerGamer

Feb 24, 2011
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
sluggyfreelancer said:
sluggyfreelancer said:
Torrasque said:
Torrasque said:

Two words; Skinner Box
Point being?

Nevermind the fact that they undermined the whole point of that video when they advocated "gamification".
No they didn't. Gamification isn't about making life into a skinner box; it's about giving something a game structure. There's a difference.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
JoJoDeathunter said:
This, I consider myself a huge Fallout fan, both 3 and NV are among my top 5 games I've ever played, and yet I've never played 1 or 2. Why? Because they were both released years before I even started gaming and appear very different to the current ones, when there are still new games out now I'd like to play I'm not going to go back to outdated ones. You can play just one game of a series and still be a fan.
As long as you're not ignorant of the orginals games existence and the lore then it is OK.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
SoopaSte123 said:
"You play on a Wii and you call yourself a gamer?? Hahahaha."

and

"You illegally download games, then use cheats to play through them just so you can watch the cut-scenes and you call yourself a gamer? Seriously??"

Neither were directed at me.
The second one makes more sense. I "played" games like that for a while, it was mindless and dull... I don't understand how anyone can do it.

sluggyfreelancer

Apr 16, 2009
sluggyfreelancer said:
sluggyfreelancer said:
Torrasque said:
Torrasque said:

Two words; Skinner Box
Point being?

Don't worry I know what it is. For me it is the pleasure yes (of course I have fun playing it too...most of the time) but not so I can flaunt my epeen as previously said by someone else. I like progression, so if prestiging on Call of Duty lets me progress again I will do it.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
Gudrests said:
sketch_zeppelin said:
you've never played mario?! and you call your self a gamer?
If youve never played mario your childhood must of sucked never mind not a gamer. GET THAT PERSON SOME NES A-STAT!!!

Amphoteric said:
shadyh8er said:
I didn't know what the Tri-Force was.

So...much....hate...
Well I know it has triangles in it?

Have no idea where it is from though.

I have also never played a Zelda, Mario, Final fantasy game before and only played Half Life 2 last month.
WHAT?!?!?! ARE YOU ......*sigh* go play all of those please. Go play the zelda titles... (not the 2nd one with link in the title...that sucked)
uh,,,
Zelda II sucked, thats more or less what I just said. and your misquoting me here on purpose for some reason.
... we can never be friends. and I hateify you. an you make me upset.

[sub]and you insulted my CHILDHOOD man,
[sub]and Zelda 2 is my favourite sidescroller,
[sub]and holy shit I sound insecure[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Vangaurd227

Jun 3, 2011
You don't liek mudkipz and you call yourself a pokemon trainer?...also
You call yourself a gamer and you didn't know that the sega genesis was going to be called the sega stella?(oh godz i hope that was right)

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
sluggyfreelancer said:
sluggyfreelancer said:
Torrasque said:
Torrasque said:

Two words; Skinner Box
Point being?

And then argued that while it would be great in many ways, Gamification of Skinner Box methods would be bad. VERY bad.
You can't pick and choose how you apply it. Operant conditioning is operant conditioning. Either you discourage use of it or you don't.

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
SirBryghtside said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
sluggyfreelancer said:
sluggyfreelancer said:
Torrasque said:
Torrasque said:

Two words; Skinner Box
Point being?

And then argued that while it would be great in many ways, Gamification of Skinner Box methods would be bad. VERY bad.
You can't pick and choose how you apply it. Operant conditioning is operant conditioning. Either you discourage use of it or you don't.
They never said 'this is how you should put it into practice', they said 'this is what it is, this is how it could be good, this is how it could be very, VERY bad'.

I think you're misunderstanding the videos.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/3167-Gamifying-Education
I'm not. They actively encourage conditioning kids in school. It is just a form of control. I'm calling hypocrisy.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Trezu said:
You Never Played LoZ: OoT

You are not a Zelda Fan
Well, fiddlesticks. The fact that I got an N64 after it was out of production and a Game Cube when the PS3 was out makes me a non-Zelda fan.

Now I can't think of why I even played, Twilight Princess, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages, Four Swords, Phantom Hourglass and the original on NES.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Asuka Soryu said:
Trezu said:
You Never Played LoZ: OoT

You are not a Zelda Fan
Well, fiddlesticks. The fact that I got an N64 after it was out of production and a Game Cube when the PS3 was out makes me a non-Zelda fan.

Now I can't think of why I even played, Twilight Princess, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages, Four Swords, Phantom Hourglass and the original on NES.
The fact remains that OoT is hands-down the best Zelda game ever made. I know alot of people that haven't played any other Zelda game and mostly play shooters, that still put OoT in their top 10 games.