Anders Breivik's Norway Massacre Simulator

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009

It's only an ArmA custom map, sure, but it's quite something that someone has taken the time to make this. Freedom of speech is an issue, as is the line of good taste.

Also the soundtrack is the same piece of music he listened to as he did the deed.

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
Anytime something like this happens, there will always be a troll trying to make a sim to capitalize on the shock value to get their name out. And the best way to kill a troll is to not even acknowledge them.

pdgeorge

Dec 25, 2008
It's games like this that give ammo to people who don't like games.

Though, to be fair, if it was easier to write a book about it, this person would have done that. Same with make a movie etc. they just did this (whatever you want to call it) the easiest way they could.

It's simply on par with idiots who are making jokes about it. This person just had more free time on his hands and made a more sick joke then the rest.

edit: agree with twisted heart.

I've become desensitized to trolls and I'm surprised more people haven't learned to say "yup, good for you. Now I don't care so go play in a corner" to the troll.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Eeek.

Perhaps this makes me a bad person or something, but I find the fact that someone made this, well... kinda funny.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well, that's pretty god damn repulsive and tasteless.

Not something that shouldn't be covered by Freedom of Expression though, since that only gain meaning in regard to what others find repulsive, but which does not rise to direct incitement of violence.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
I hope this won't be converted into infinite ammo for the anti-games lobbies around the world.

Blackpapa

May 26, 2010
Manji187 said:
I hope this won't be converted into infinite ammo for the anti-games lobbies around the world.
If it is then the fact Anders was a devout Christian should be abused mercilessly as well, ad nauseam and to the point of vulgar absurdity.

Also this mod shows great potential. I'll defintiely give it a go. Never modded ARMA but I might as well give it a go.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
Mr Thin said:
Not watching.

Don't give him the satisfaction of a view count.
Ignoring it is the worst you can do. You'd at least want an informed opinion, rather than prejudging it like most will do, surely?

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
This was FAST.
Really, really fast.
I have nothing more to add, besides stating that I like the music.
The laughing somehow made it even more sinister.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Freedom of Speech applies to all video games and custom video game maps no matter how tasteless. No exceptions.

Tips_of_Fingers

Jun 21, 2010
The piece of music in the video is the most overused track right now. TV talent shows, movie trailers, adverts and now a mass murderer!? It saddens me because the music is incredible; the first time I was ever exposed to it's haunting strings was in Requiem for a Dream, a film so deeply moving that I couldn't even explain how I felt afterwards.

Now, with overuse, the track has become a tool for witless producers in a desperate attempt to inject some passion into whatever they feel needs injecting.

OT: These things happen...Almost every famous tragedy has some sort of "homage". It's how the world works, I'm afraid. I'm surprised the News hasn't picked up on this to be honest....

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
ya know, I'll go the other way and say I would like to see a good Mass Killer game... the problem with them, as emphasized here, is that it's boring just to kill people with no opponent. I always had a story idea for a guy that was gonna shoot up his school, but right before he was about to start someone beat him to the punch, and with the school on lock down hes the only person with a gun that can stop the school shooters ala Die Hard.

Tips_of_Fingers said:
The piece of music in the video is the most overused track right now. TV talent shows, movie trailers, adverts and now a mass murderer!? It saddens me because the music is incredible; the first time I was ever exposed to it's haunting strings was in Requiem for a Dream, a film so deeply moving that I couldn't even explain how I felt afterwards.
I always thought someone should make a parody sequel to it, Requiem Of The Dream, where the characters get out of their respective Hells, and Ty declares they should make another go at selling crack and this time NOT smoke it. And then they get everything they ever wanted. "Well get our selves another peice of this shit, cut it up, and off it." "And this time, we won't smoke it Ty!"

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
A tasteless shot at 15 minutes of fame, eh?

xHipaboo420x said:
Mr Thin said:
Not watching.

Don't give him the satisfaction of a view count.
Ignoring it is the worst you can do. You'd at least want an informed opinion, rather than prejudging it like most will do, surely?
I didn't have to play that Holocaust simulator made by Neo-Nazis to know it was in bad taste.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
I didn't know he laughed like a bond villain. As for the people complaining about requiem, isn't it the music he was listening to when he went postal?

has anyone ever made a flight sim where you fly into WTC?

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
HerbertTheHamster said:
I didn't know he laughed like a bond villain. As for the people complaining about requiem, isn't it the music he was listening to when he went postal?

has anyone ever made a flight sim where you fly into WTC?
Of course, ya can google or look it up on youtube easily.

Sevenkilts

Jul 27, 2011
Wait, he listened to Lux Aternia? That's not cool. Clint Mansell deserves better.

As for the game itself - Eh, when you think about it the JFK simulator and the Columbine RPG were in poor taste in the same way. If anything, I suspect this is actually parody of some kind intended to troll newspapers and the other media by making them take it too seriously.

Anders Brevik is no gods damned hero, nor is he an agent of change. Many, many people share this view point and that's, I think the crux of the problem. It's not that he's a mass-murderer, it's that if he's made into a video game protagonist, he comes across as a hero, someone we are associated with and that's not something that sits well.

I could never play Nazi Germany in HOI.

tl,dr: Clint Mansell is epic; Anders Breivik thinks he is a hero and a video game makes him look like one, even if we don't think he is.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Somehow, I knew something like this would happen. Pathetic waste of human flesh tries to be 'shocking' by idolizing another pathetic waste of human flesh, it has always happened and probably always will.

twistedheat15 said:
Anytime something like this happens, there will always be a troll trying to make a sim to capitalize on the shock value to get their name out. And the best way to kill a troll is to not even acknowledge them.
Really? I've always found that the best way to kill a troll is with a +3 flaming broad sword.