Anders Breivik's Norway Massacre Simulator

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well I have mixed opinions.

To be honest this kind of thing reminds me of how I, and a number of other kids used to collect seriel killer trading cards when I was young. Ted Bundy, Ed Gein, Jack The Ripper, etc... :)

People, especially kids, are fascinated by this kind of stuff. People need to get used to it and stop acting like it's some new and shocking thing. It's just that technology has expanded and so has people's way of expressing it. Going "OMG" about this is just as ridiculous as someone complaining because Time/Life has released books on the subject of killers, crime figures, and all kind of atrocities. Not to mention what you'll find in the "True Crime" section of a book store.

There is also the troll factor, and the simple fact that people who aren't all that interested are going to act to shock people just for the five minutes of fame.

I also confess to having some definate questions about this case, and several other similar ones through the years. In Norway's case they seem to be remaining very, very quiet about the exact nature of the incident. The guy was some kind of political extremist, but at the same time blowing up a goverment building and attacking a youth camp are very differant types of crimes and don't "sync" with the motives. I remember an initial report claiming that youth camp was some kind of military training facility a "military youth camp" or something of the sort, but that disappeared shortly after things started to pick up steam, and it seems that the details of his motivations for attacking that camp and what went on there are being glossed over signifigantly.

Even crazy people generally have some consistincy to their delusions, and in this paticular case I think too much focus is being put on the killer, and not enough on what set him off. "He was just crazy" doesn't really suffice, and I think the Norweigan goverment should be being made to answer some questions here. I'm guessing that there was probably some connection between that goverment building and the youth camp, or at least a chain of logic that this guy was able to form, and I think there is a bit of smoke and mirrors to prevent people from looking too heavily in that direction.

Don't get me wrong, there really isn't any way to justify this, I just believe there are two sides to every story. Sort of like what happened with Heemeyer... sure the guy took a modified Bulldozer to town hall and a few other people's property... but at the same time everyone involved was responsible for screwing him in a real estate deal and stealing his land (which benefitted the town). People tried to cover that up somewhat (and it failed) because really the "crazy guy" actually had a pretty reasonable motive and the people whose property he demolished kind of deserved it. Of course then again I don't believe Heemeyer actually killed anyone, he just leveled buildings and shot himself.

At any rate, I'm rambling, but the point is that complaining about video games that simulate real crimes is much Ado about nothing. It's the Seriel Killer trading cards of this generation, it's disturbing, but that is pretty much the point. When tech moves on and kids get bored with this, something new and even more disturbing will come along to replace it. Heck, at some point we'll probably see some kind of neural interface technology where after crimes like this are committed kids are going to jack in to experience the thrill of being the killer or the victims or whatever.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
pdgeorge said:
It's games like this that give ammo to people who don't like games.

Though, to be fair, if it was easier to write a book about it, this person would have done that. Same with make a movie etc. they just did this (whatever you want to call it) the easiest way they could.

It's simply on par with idiots who are making jokes about it. This person just had more free time on his hands and made a more sick joke then the rest.

edit: agree with twisted heart.

I've become desensitized to trolls and I'm surprised more people haven't learned to say "yup, good for you. Now I don't care so go play in a corner" to the troll.
ArmA is a good game/sim, the video is a mod someone created for the game (a very tasteless and stupid one). This is someone being a troll, not someone trying to sell a game.

OT: Thats extremely stupid whoever made that obviously has no brains to see what it's doing.

trollpwner said:
HASTY EDIT: This was set at the person who made it. In a red haze, I assumed it was the OP. Not so. This is not aimed at you. Now I have to change "you" to "whoever made this".

Consider yourself a shameful, worthless, scumbag.

As a member of the gaming community and as a human being. Gaming is already restricted, pressurised and targeted by many ignorant people and you are not helping.

Perhaps one day, games will be accepted enough as art to allow the odd pointless massacre simulator to fly past in all its twisted depravity, but until then, we should think what we publish as media. I have a hard time defending games as it is without this. The last thing anyone who wants to advance the medium and see it become more mature and respectable is this.

On top of this, this only adds to the argument of violent games as "training". Sure, CoD4 is unrealistic and a poor recreation of killing people, but when you can actually do it in a game, this argument gains more weight. What will happen to our medium if people can yell, truthfully, that "this person practised a massacre in a videogame". Yes, I know it doesn't mean you will kill someone if you play a videogame. Yes, I know serious sam has never made me run around at 100MPH with a giant cannon. Yes, I know that even playing this may not negatively impact the majority of its audience and even create sympathy for its victims. But all it takes is one person. One person who plays this game to commit a murder and it to be found out and the whole medium is in trouble.

How dare you place the entire gaming medium at risk for your one game?!?! What would it achieve? Even if it was a game, what point would it achieve? I mean, it doesn't even give a good depiction for god's sake! A game that showed you desperately running and hiding from an armed killer would be laudable and artistic. This just shows an armed lunatic gunning down people for no reason. Characteristics that will now be placed on every character in every game and anyone who plays them. This is the kind of setback to gaming that normally only EA marketing could achieve.

Well....done....you.....

In short, you should control what you create for your games. If you don't, someone else will. Some ignorant bigot. And you will not like the boundaries they place.
As stated above, this isn't a massacre sim being published, its an idiot doing a mod/showing off on youtube.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
trollpwner said:
RicoADF said:
As stated above, this isn't a massacre sim being published, its an idiot doing a mod/showing off on youtube.
(Snip)

I'm still furious at their idiocy.
I agree, the guy is an idiot. But it's less likely to be picked up by the general media, esp since its in an obscure/niche game.

Feb 9, 2011
Eh, seen it before with other shootings and those were done better. While I don't condone these simulations because I just don't want to hear the media spew their sideways views about it, I don't really find it offensive. It's a simulation - we have simulations about death all the time - they're called video games. This simulation is just like the other real-life events I've simulated and killed countless innocent people in - the retail market is full of them.

Again, I don't condone it when it's done in poor taste like this, but I don't see where I'm suppose to find it offensive and shocking.

kikimaru024

Jan 12, 2010
You should really be questioning the point of FPS games.

As this mod shows, we find it repulsive to callously murder depictions (AI models) of innocent people.
YET AT THE SAME TIME
the biggest-selling AAA titles are FPS games wherein you shoot "soldiers" and "aliens".
How are they any different?
Isn't it all just mindless killing?

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
twistedheat15 said:
Anytime something like this happens, there will always be a troll trying to make a sim to capitalize on the shock value to get their name out. And the best way to kill a troll is to not even acknowledge them.
Also to stake them down for the crows first then ignore them.

DasUberCow

May 26, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
I always thought someone should make a parody sequel to it, Requiem Of The Dream, where the characters get out of their respective Hells, and Ty declares they should make another go at selling crack and this time NOT smoke it. And then they get everything they ever wanted. "Well get our selves another peice of this shit, cut it up, and off it." "And this time, we won't smoke it Ty!"
Wasn't it Heroin?

But yeah, they definitely should. Amazing music, hate to have that piece of shit ruin it.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
kikimaru024 said:
You should really be questioning the point of FPS games.

As this mod shows, we find it repulsive to callously murder depictions (AI models) of innocent people.
YET AT THE SAME TIME
the biggest-selling AAA titles are FPS games wherein you shoot "soldiers" and "aliens".
How are they any different?
Isn't it all just mindless killing?
Oh thank god someone brought this up.

I don't see why this is a "disgusting travesty" while running around on Modern Warfare shooting holes into everything that moves is "just good ol' gaming fun."

Sure, you could say "Well those guys are enemy combatants and these are innocents!" but that's a major cop out. I don't see anything majorly upsetting about this, or even the No Russian level. Hell there are games out there where you can be Oswald and shoot Kennedy.

Even if he did it for "TEH LAWL" or not, if games are art, as everyone insists they are, then you have to accept that people will do "controversial" things with them. You can think it's stupid and tasteless sure, but trying to contain it so others, like the news, can't view it is just simply irrational and idiotic.

I say "Meh" over all to the mod. It's nothing spectacular.