Andrew Garfield Blames Sony For Amazing Spider-Man 2 Failures

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I thought Garfield did a great job as spider-man but I prefer Ultimate SPider-man so what do I know right?

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I saw the "Rhino is a robot-suit" in the trailer and that was it for me with this movie.

I'm not really surprised this was a "failure" since putting EVERYTHING in it to force the creation of an "Universe" out of thin air isn't a really good move, that's also kinda why I dislike Iron Man 2, when the studio seems to completely forget that they're making a movie and not a 2 hr long ad.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Well, what would he say? "I'm Spider-Man, it's my fault."

I sort of expected something about editorial mandate or the like, but some of the stuff from the original cut that made it to bonus scenes didn't make it look like a better movie. Maybe it would have popped if it was all included, but I doubt it.

But you know what? I had fun with it. It was worth my money. And even at its worst, I'd watch it over the Raimi films.
You have to hand it to Garfield for doing his damn hardest to make the most out of what he's given, but when a lot of it is taken away from him, that's gotta sting.
OT: I bet Bob was doing a silly end zone dance while writing this article.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Blame the people who pay your wages.

Well, there's a guy who's never going to work for Sony again.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
youji itami said:
Oh come on! it's been 4 months get over it Bob.

You complain about people screaming bias at you then ***** at a film you didn't like 4 months later!
The interview was published yesterday. You wouldn't have some kind of... "anti-bob" bias now, would you? :p

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
VoidWanderer said:
endtherapture said:
piscian said:
Garfield was the only good thing about this series in mind. It's surprising how much people disliked him. I agree with what he said there are great parts of AZM 1 and 2 but they both felt like edward scissorhands was the editor. Like huge chunks of the movies don't make any sense or have the impact they should have with the audience because things are missing or told in the wrong order.
Bob doesn't like this Spider-Man because he is a cool skater hipster Tumblr guy, and is good looking and charming despite being fairly socially awkward. Bob is rooted in his GenX days so doesn't understand they need to update the character for the time, and resents the fact that whilst Garfield's Peter is a bit of an outlier in School, he's not the super nerdy science geeky being bullied type character that Bob is used to.

TASM1 was pretty good though, fun film, great cast and chemistry. TASM2 was a horrible mess of plot contrivances, poor pacing and bad chemistry.
Wait a second!

Cool skater hipster Tumblr guy who is good looking (personal preferences) and charming DESPITE socially awkward? There is a likable person under that?

I have seen both ASM films and the original movies, and honestly I felt ASM Parker was just as awkward as the plot logic...

While I had no real objection to them rebooting the series, I felt that as a character Peter was unlikable. He acted like an ass to the people who literally raised him since his parents vanished. We never really see him use his skateboard apart from that weird training thing that felt like an ad for a Tony Hawk game. The only part that made me like Peter was when he stood up for the kid that Flash was bullying.

If he is not mend to be super sciency, how did he come up with the launcher for his store bought webbing, and why is it mentioned that he is the second smartest person in school... It felt so inconsistent with them trying to pay homage to the characters origins in the comics and movies while trying to make their own version of him.

In regards to Moviebobs opinions, I agree with him, the movies are a mess. Virtually every plot thread ties back to the Oscorp, including Spidey's gadgets. The character Peter is not a likable underdog, but the shy pup at the pound that no-one wants to adopt.

I have said this before and I will say it again, Sony should sell Spider-Man back to Marvel so they can save this slow-motion train-wreck.

If you guys have different views on the character, I am happy for you. But I found the movies and almost everything relating to them a mess.
You can be a cool, likable hipster guy whilst also being into science. That basically describes me in fact. You can be awkward and considered an outcast and liked at school, but also be charming when people get to know you (like Peter's aunt and uncle, and Gwen). I think the new Peter is just a modern interpretation of the outcast type character than the original Spider-Man was.

I agree the second movie was a complete mess but the first one was a good, well paced and coherant movie.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Isn't it obvious Sony f.. up? You know it's hard to blame the guy since he was hired just to do the job :D

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
As a borderline Sony fanboy, I feel as though they should just shut down the movie portion side and just go full steam ahead with the games things. Garfield had quite a bit of potential, wouldn't be surprised if this franchise ruins him, like the opposite of Robert Downey Jr.

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
When movie studio suits are involved too much in a movie they always ruin it, they always think they know better but they don't know shit.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
endtherapture said:
Bob doesn't like this Spider-Man because he is a cool skater hipster Tumblr guy, and is good looking and charming despite being fairly socially awkward. Bob is rooted in his GenX days so doesn't understand they need to update the character for the time, and resents the fact that whilst Garfield's Peter is a bit of an outlier in School, he's not the super nerdy science geeky being bullied type character that Bob is used to.
What's makes this even more ridiculous is the "super nerdy science geeky being bullied type character" as you put it is in the comics and most adaptions something that Peter is like early on and that he quickly grows out of after he gets powers, and that's if he's even like that to begin with. This view fans typically have of Peter being like you said is hilariously inaccurate in most depictions of the character. The Raimi Spider-Man movies are probably one of the only adaptions that stick with the characteristics you mentioned the entire run, probably because that Peter has as much character development past the first movie as a rock.

In fact, I'd say that this reboot combines elements from both the main and Ultimate Spider-Man comics and thus creates what is probably one of the most faithful adaptions of Spider-Man ever, only barely surpassed by the 90's animated series.

TKretts3 said:
I thought ASM2 was pretty good. There were a few things that could have been done better, but it was still good - certainly not as horrendous as some reviewers had led me to believe it would be. I saw Bob's review around the time the film came out in theaters, and based on that I decided to wait for it to be out on DVD. After watching it on DVD, though, I regretted that decision because almost nothing Bob said in his review, in my opinion, turned out to be true. The things that did were heavily overblown.
Very true, both ASM1 and ASM2 are brilliant movies. They're not perfect, but the few problems it does have are the ones most comic book movies and in fact the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies themselves had that nobody seemed to notice or care about when THEY did it. It's actually pretty ridiculous the rather tiny nitpicky things that people that hate the movie tend to bring up and how incredibly big of a deal they make of them.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Meh. I haven't liked Moviebob since his Star Trek review, which was like his, what, second on this site? So his hate-on for the new Spider-Man movies doesn't bug me. Amazing Spider-Man 2 wasn't the best movie, but it's far from as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I swear, it's like you guys forgot how bad some of the old superhero movies were.

I will admit that the whole "let's plan for a crap ton of spin-offs before we even have the second movie out" annoys the hell out of me.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Not surprised. Look how awesome the Raimi SM2 was and they still interfered with SM3 by forcing him to add Venom. They could have just sat back and watched the money flood in. :) ASM1 was ok, nothing brillent and have yet to watch ASM2. But the new one dont seem as much fun as the Raimi movies.

Weird thing for me is that ASM 1 and 2 made profit, and good profit. They were not failures. Why is it they either want 1billion dollars otherwise its a failure? Part of me wonders if Sony wanted to make more money than the Marvel movies so they could poke fun at them.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
I actually quite liked the film. Not because it was a fantastic film - let's face it, the script had issues - but because it did something pretty ballsy and ended up offering more than what most films do - a clear poignant message that stuck with me after the credits rolled.
And hey, it even inspired me to write a pretty wordy review [http://extragorey.wordpress.com/2014/09/06/review-the-amazing-spider-man-2-2014/], which is not something I do very often.

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
The new spiderman movies stink all around, i wouldn't put blame on just 1 aspect of it. As for Andrew G., i have seen him in a few things. His performances aren't anything spectacular but neither are they awful. I think spiderman could be cast better though. I still feel like the only good thing to do is give spidey over to Marvel Studios

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Sony-owned marvel titles have certainly been a lot worse than WB owned titles. I mean, how can you argue with the difference between the Avengers and the increasingly bad spiderman movies?

Schtoobs

Feb 8, 2012
From the perspective of someone who hasn't read the comics, my biggest gripe with the new Amazing Spider-man films was that they were too similar to the other movies. Overall it wasn't worse, wasn't better. I felt like it wasn't worth the reboot. I would have liked to see the darker tones of the story without the need for them to be interspersed with comedic moments, because we'd had that already. Most viewers don't care about the stuff you guys are debating (we don't know about it). People aren't going to be keen to see the same thing twice.

I recall an image of a large grey human-shaped Rhino with a horn (maybe from a spidey cartoon) and I noticed that the big robot he was controlling was nothing like how I remembered, but the only thing about the film with regard to that character that annoyed me was the promise of Paul Giamatti, when we actually got very little of him.

Maybe it was just too soon for a reboot with the other trilogy so fresh in our minds. Considering it on its own though, not a bad film by any stretch. Actors all did well and the effects/action set-pieces were good. A slower burn would help the story I think (rather than rushing to the first action set-piece). I think it would make a better TV series, especially now TV series have got so damn good over the last few years.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Well...I mean duh. It sure as hell wasn't the acting that was at fault for this being a transparent heartless movie.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
youji itami said:
Oh come on! it's been 4 months get over it Bob.

You complain about people screaming bias at you then ***** at a film you didn't like 4 months later!
The interview was posted a couple days ago. :/

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Garfield is AWFUL! He reminds me of one person: Hayden Christensen AND HE IS THE WORST ACTOR OF ALL TIME AND I LOATHE HIM!

Ok. Probably not the worst....but I FEEL he is the worst and I ABSOLUTELY loathe him. Garfield too by default since he reminds me of HC >.<

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
endtherapture said:
... But then he skateboards off cuz that's what kids these days do...in the 90s. I seriously never see people skateboarding any more outside of the occasional longboard.
I went to the Rochester Institute of Technology in New York. Everybody there were tech nerds and art geeks. Everybody skateboarded getting to and fro on campus.

When I saw Peter Parker's social awkwardness followed by him riding on a skateboard, I knew they had finally updated his stereotype from the sixties.