Andrew Garfield Wanted A Spider-Man / Avengers Team-Up Movie

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Andrew Garfield Wanted A Spider-Man / Avengers Team-Up Movie

Andrew Garfield had hoped his Amazing Spider-Man would crossover with Avengers, but is still excited to see what Marvel has planned.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139064-Rumor-Hacked-Emails-Reveal-Sony-Fires-Andrew-Garfield-May-Still-Work-With-Marvel-On-Spider-Man-Reboot>It's hard not to feel a little for Andrew Garfield, our latest movie Spider-Man. Sure, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9126-The-Amazing-Spider-Man-2-The-Movie-That-Broke-MovieBob>The Amazing Spider-Man and its sequel were critical flops, but it was a long-term project Garfield had high hopes for. What's interesting is, just like other Spider-Man fans, Garfield was completely down for that long-rumored crossover with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. In fact, before The Amazing Spider-Man 3 was cancelled he actively campaigned for it behind the scenes.

"I've been petitioning to hook up with Marvel since the beginning, so I'm really glad they're finally doing it," Garfield recently told Uproxx. And while the circumstances behind how Spider-Man reached Marvel is a sore spot for Garfield, he's still excited to see the finished movie. "All the ins and outs of what happened is a more tender conversation that maybe I don't want to talk about in public in a press situation. But all I can say is that I'm stoked to go and watch a Marvel film of Spider-Man."

Of course, another question is what The Amazing Spider-Man might have offered if Marvel's deal fell through. Sony had originally planned an extended Spider-Man universe that would've included Venom and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136339-The-Sinister-Six-Dated-Other-Amazing-Spider-Man-Films-Delayed>Sinister Six, not to mention a third film in the series. "I was actually starting to workshop ideas with Alex Kurtzman, who was going to be writing [The Amazing Spider-Man 3]," Garfield continued. "We thought to kind of start from the base level, the foundational level of where have we left Peter and where do we want to see him go and what's logical. And how do we build upon where we left off with this deep, desperate moment with Gwen? So, yeah, we got to some pretty heavy places and I was really excited to kind of explore it and be involved on the ground level like that."

In the end however, Garfield seems pretty gracious about the whole affair and looking forward to enjoying Spider-Man as a movie-goer once again. ""I'm really, really grateful for the whole ride of it," he said. "And I'm really excited for the next one."

Source: Games Radar

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I think in an Avengers movie Garfield would've been maybe 90% Spidey and max 10% Parker, I hink he'd been good there.
Liked his Spidey, very acrobatic and not too muscular. Good luck for him and also for the new one (can't remember his name).

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Garfield was absolutely a great spiderman very true to the comics and very passionate about the movies and improving his role in them.

I really loathe the flak he got for that part.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
Sorry for Garfield, he was a pretty good Spider-Man.
Agreed.
He had a good delivery when it came to the wise cracking elements in particular.
It's a shame he knew the direction spiderman movies needed to be travelling in when sony were (at the time) resistant to such thinking.
If they'd have listened, who knows what we could be seeing as the next spiderman movie.
That isn't to say I'm not excited to see what they do with a new, young cast, but I think Andrew didn't have time to fully fill out his web pattern jammies.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Politrukk said:
Garfield was absolutely a great spiderman very true to the comics and very passionate about the movies and improving his role in them.

I think the reason he got flak was due to the fact he was true to the post-One More Day comics which no one, not even Spider Man comic readers, thinks of as the real Peter Parker. At best it's considered an unfaithful reboot by most fans, at worst a bastard who straight up stole Peter's identity.

He was an honest Spider Man, just not the one people wanted to see.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Zontar said:
Politrukk said:

I think the reason he got flak was due to the fact he was true to the post-One More Day comics which no one, not even Spider Man comic readers, thinks of as the real Peter Parker. At best it's considered an unfaithful reboot by most fans, at worst a bastard who straight up stole Peter's identity.

I don't know man the banter and all that was all there he actually draws "correctly" from some older versions of spiderman to my opinion but then I mean very old.

I wonder what the demographic is for people who disliked Garfield as having read the comics and from what timespan they read(or grew up with) Spiderman.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Politrukk said:

The only actor I have hated more in a role was Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker.

They are both terrible and should never act in a movie again. They have a face that makes me instantly want to punch them. And I'm a pacifist.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Someone on here once summed up my feelings on Spider-Man.

Andrew was a better Spider-Man, while Toby was a better Peter Parker.

And I was shocked to find that I agreed with that. The moment I saw Peter/Andrew in the previews for the movie, my brain immediately went, "That's not Peter Parker!" and I lost all interest in seeing it.

It is nice to see Mr. Garfield be so pleasant about the whole ordeal though, and even going so far as to still want the cross over to happen. Because that has got to sting inside, but he's still happy about what is going on with the character.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Fanghawk said:
Sure, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9126-The-Amazing-Spider-Man-2-The-Movie-That-Broke-MovieBob>The Amazing Spider-Man and its sequel were critical flops...
Huh? Each movie made over $700,000,000 worldwide. That might have fallen short of expectations, but I wouldn't exactly call that a 'flop':
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=spiderman4.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=amazingspiderman2.htm

Even if you're going just by critics reviews, neither film was that horrdenously awful.

Just because Moviebob hates something hardly means it's not successful, otherwise we would have never gotten sequels to Transformers or the Fast and the Furious movies.

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
To me there is a problem with super hero movies that require an actor to be 2 people. Pretty much like Batman. You can be a great Bruce Wayne yet don't fit well for the other role. I felt like this was the case for this actor. I cannot say I really had a problem with him as spiderman, but as Peter Parker he did not look right. Something about his persona did not scream Peter Parker to me, and actually upset me how bad I felt he did as Peter Parker. These are obviously my personal opinion and I do not claim to be the end all be all.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
While I did like Garfield in Social Network, I didn't really enjoy his work in Amazing.

Or maybe that was just me hating those movies.

Either way the kid is a decent actor and I think he'll be able to keep eating from other work.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Politrukk said:

Yeah, he mostly got crap for being Not Tobey. I guess that was the issue with me, because I was never in love with Tobey.

I mean, I'll wait and see if the new guy is good, but I would have liked to see Garfield in it.

Wiggum Esquilax

Apr 22, 2015
XenoScifi said:
To me there is a problem with super hero movies that require an actor to be 2 people. Pretty much like Batman. You can be a great Bruce Wayne yet don't fit well for the other role. I felt like this was the case for this actor. I cannot say I really had a problem with him as spiderman, but as Peter Parker he did not look right. Something about his persona did not scream Peter Parker to me, and actually upset me how bad I felt he did as Peter Parker. These are obviously my personal opinion and I do not claim to be the end all be all.
I feel the problem with his Pete was how everyone else treated him. A charismatic, athletic guy with great hair, both bullied and not bullied? All the knowledge of a studious nerd, but the social skills of someone who never missed a party? Never made any sense. I blame the writers more than I do the Garfield, he did what he could with the mediocre material available.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Ihateregistering1 said:
Fanghawk said:
Sure, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9126-The-Amazing-Spider-Man-2-The-Movie-That-Broke-MovieBob>The Amazing Spider-Man and its sequel were critical flops...
Huh? Each movie made over $700,000,000 worldwide. That might have fallen short of expectations, but I wouldn't exactly call that a 'flop':
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=spiderman4.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=amazingspiderman2.htm

Even if you're going just by critics reviews, neither film was that horrdenously awful.

Just because Moviebob hates something hardly means it's not successful, otherwise we would have never gotten sequels to Transformers or the Fast and the Furious movies.
That's a financial success, not a critical success. It's also less than what Spider-Man 3 made, the whole reason Sony decided to reboot in the first place. Sony obviously agrees, or they wouldn't have dropped Garfield and taken the deal with Marvel.

As for critics reviews, Amazing Spider-Man 1 was a 66 and 2 was a 53 on Metacritic. That's doesn't happen just because Moviebob hates the series.

Sep 24, 2008
The one thing they never get right is that Spider Man is cut.

He's always been cut. His suit might look funny, but Spiderman is swole.

They always focused on the "wimp" side of spiderman, making their choices (to me) always a miscast

But to me, there has been few moments in Spiderman media that summed up who Spiderman really is than this one.

If they allowed Garfield more screentime like this, BEING THE SPIDERMAN WE ALL LOVED instead of directing him to be just a sullen sad-sack (which people seem to believe that's what the character is nowadays), Garfield would have been the definitive Spiderman. Just like Kevin Conroy is Batman and Mark Hamill is the Joker.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Something Amyss said:
Politrukk said:

Yeah, he mostly got crap for being Not Tobey. I guess that was the issue with me, because I was never in love with Tobey.

I mean, I'll wait and see if the new guy is good, but I would have liked to see Garfield in it.
Tobey just sucked the life out of the role but I guess that's where my view conflicts with that of the Garfield haters.

If we simply take Garfields take on Spiderman (not Parker) he wins it by a landslide.
The gripes most people have with Garfield is how he portrays Peter, but he portrays a 70's/80's Peter Parker written under more modern connotations, as for his interactions with the other people... isn't that more to do with the writers than with Garfield?

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Zontar said:

I think the main reason he got flak is simply that the films weren't very good. While the blame for that belongs mainly with the director, writers, publishers, and so on, as the lead actor Garfield is the face of the films, so he's the one who gets most of the hate

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
Wiggum Esquilax said:
XenoScifi said:
I feel the problem with his Pete was how everyone else treated him. A charismatic, athletic guy with great hair, both bullied and not bullied? All the knowledge of a studious nerd, but the social skills of someone who never missed a party? Never made any sense. I blame the writers more than I do the Garfield, he did what he could with the mediocre material available.
Hmm, you bring up a great point. I honestly never even thought of it that way. So perhaps we probably should be more pissed off with the writers then. :)

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Sniper Team 4 said:
Someone on here once summed up my feelings on Spider-Man.

Andrew was a better Spider-Man, while Toby was a better Peter Parker.

And I was shocked to find that I agreed with that. The moment I saw Peter/Andrew in the previews for the movie, my brain immediately went, "That's not Peter Parker!" and I lost all interest in seeing it.

It is nice to see Mr. Garfield be so pleasant about the whole ordeal though, and even going so far as to still want the cross over to happen. Because that has got to sting inside, but he's still happy about what is going on with the character.
This basically. And, you know, it's not really the guy's fault, but it's the writing.

It also didn't help that through out the movies there was so much of the romance I wanted to burn the movie. There are few romances I hated sitting through more then the absolutely dreadful Peter/Gwen bullshit they couldn't make work. The dialogue between those two most of the time rivaled Attack of the Clones or Twilight.

You know, there's also the thing that he wasn't Peter Parker by a long shot, besides remarkably similar living environment and series of events. Again, more so the writing, but Tobey's beleaguered Peter in the Raimi films was more of the classic Parker most people think of. Plus, I abhor the missed opportunity to use the Ultimate Spider-man, which while similar, the differences would have probably made a more fitting and better series.

But whatever i'm rambling about things I know nothing about.