"Android" May Cost Google Millions

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
UnSub said:
If this were Microsoft doing it, people would be up in arms at the evil corporate trying to crush the small business guy. Google is using the same tactics - "he's not really using the name, so we can have it" - but is getting a free pass because people think Google can do no wrong.
I have to agree, but is Google really getting a free pass? I mean, they *are* being sued, no matter what we think of the situation.

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
I give it 5 minutes before Google's ninja lawyers BREAK HIM.

The word is in common usage, it shouldn't have been trademarked to begin with.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
SilentHunter7 said:
So if the word Android is trademarked, how many anime companies are being sued?
My limited knowledge on the subject of trademark law says that, trademarking disputes are almost always industry specific. If I wanted to open a bar called Android there likely wouldn't be an legal issues because there is no potential confusion between a bar and a software OS.

Cortheya

Elite Member
Jan 10, 2009
Anonymouse said:
Thats it. I am going to trademark the letter "A". Any company with the letter "A" in its title will then be liable! I will be a multi billionaire!!!...
Sorry but cmon. I hope the guy gets absofrackinglutely nothing.
I'll tke B (I couldn't use tht letter in tke)

the jellyman

Jul 24, 2008
You kind of get the idea that this guy will be beaten to a pulp by androids sent by google and 43 other companies. 'the search terminator!' (tm) That would be irony so solid tht it could be stirred with a stick.

Reading what I just typed, I think I need more coffee.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
I'm trademarking the word "Soft"...

...About half the software companies that have ever existed... ruined by my hands... Oh yeah.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
I find it amusing because I am betting that the 43 other companies combined have FAR BETTER LAWYERS! this guy is obviously just an opportunist. This will not fly.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Does this mean we will be sued for using the word "Android" in our posts?

Feb 13, 2008
Simriel said:
I find it amusing because I am betting that the 43 other companies combined have FAR BETTER LAWYERS! this guy is obviously just an opportunist. This will not fly.
Problem is that those lawyers are up against the Patent Office, not Specht. And that means they're Government lawyers.

Honestly? Google is going to have to bring something astounding out of the bag to defeat this. Going by the evidence so far, they deliberately breeched copyright law because they thought it didn't apply to them.
Sevre90210 said:
Just to clear this all up.
Android Data own the name "Android" only in relation to software. Anyone who codes software with the intent to make money under the name "Android" is open to being sued, and officially must be to retain the trademark, any other use is completely fair.

That's why TSR, sorry WOTC, still has Nazis & Marvel and DC have Death.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
I'm sorry but demanding 2 million from each of those companies is stupid. That would make Android one of the most powerful software companies in the world. That would piss of the millions of people who use google and motorola etc. every day. And does he realise how much calamity destroying every product with the word android in its title would cause?

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Simriel said:
Problem is that those lawyers are up against the Patent Office, not Specht. And that means they're Government lawyers.

Honestly? Google is going to have to bring something astounding out of the bag to defeat this. Going by the evidence so far, they deliberately breeched copyright law because they thought it didn't apply to them.
Sevre90210 said:
Just to clear this all up.
Android Data own the name "Android" only in relation to software. Anyone who codes software with the intent to make money under the name "Android" is open to being sued, and officially must be to retain the trademark, any other use is completely fair.

That's why TSR, sorry WOTC, still has Nazis & Marvel and DC have Death.
Its not googles case that I think will be won. Its the 43 others.

Feb 13, 2008
Zombie_Fish said:
I'm sorry but demanding 2 million from each of those companies is stupid. That would make Android one of the most powerful software companies in the world. That would piss of the millions of people who use google and motorola etc. every day. And does he realise how much calamity destroying every product with the word android in its title would cause?
2 million for each product, which as it's open source would be pushing Google's entire fortune alone. He's deliberately kept it impossibly high to go for the out-of-court settlement.

Feb 13, 2008
Simriel said:
Its not googles case that I think will be won. Its the 43 others.
The OHA [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Handset_Alliance]? They're in it as accessories, if you'll pardon the pun.