Android: Netrunner Honor and Profit Expansion Gets More Card Spoilers

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Android: Netrunner Honor and Profit Expansion Gets More Card Spoilers

The previews include a sample Jinteki deck build called "Bait and Blast."

News about Android: Netrunner's newest deluxe expansion has been scarce since December of last year [], but Fantasy Flight posted a new preview today including spoilers of the three new alternate identities for the Jinteki corporation. The new Jinteki identities for the set are one focusing on early game victory, one rewarding defensive play, and a third focusing on Jinteki's special Psi strategies.

Interestingly, the types of strategies the expansion is appearing to cater to go alongside the announced goals for the upcoming The Lunar Cycle series of data packs, encouraging players to try new and different strategies. It's an interesting move, and likely an attempt to counter complaints by some players that particular strategies dominate the game. The last expansion, Creation and Control, ushered in a period of Haas-Bioroid corporate dominance. It'll be fascinating to see if Honor and Profit does the same for Jinteki. It certainly won't help the winning streak that Criminal decks are seeing right now.

Enough babbling, here's new cards:

[gallery=2107]

Honor and Profit is a 165 card expansion focusing on new cards for the Jinteki corporation and the Criminal runner faction. It is set to be released in Q1 2014.

Source: Fantasy Flight Games [http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4655]

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
Netrunner on the Escapist!!!!

As a video gamer recently converted to board/card games, I heartily recommend this to anyone looking for a great card game to get into. And you don't have to sell your grandparents or mortgage your house to get into it like Magic!

For the uninitiated, Netrunner takes place in the near future where clones, AI's, and virtual reality are common place and the Network connects everything. One player controls the Corporation, and their job is to advance their insidious agendas (Like Fetal AI's, and advertisements on the moon), while the other player controls the Runner, the brilliant fringe hacker trying to break into the Corp's servers and steal their plans.

The central mechanic of the game is hidden information. As the corporation will start to play cards face down, the runner has no idea which card is a trap or an agenda they need to steal the game. Further complicating things is that the runner can attack any place on the board, including the Corp's hand, deck, and discard pile. Unlike Magic and most card games, the game design is asymmetrical, and both sides are playing with decks and playstyles vastly differing from the other.

OT: I'm glad to see Jinteki getting a shot in the arm, and I may buy this pack to experiment with those new identities.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Hannibal942 said:
OT: I'm glad to see Jinteki getting a shot in the arm, and I may buy this pack to experiment with those new identities.
I'd really like to see Jinteki become a viable main corp instead of the people that everyone borrows from all the time.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Hannibal942 said:
Unlike Magic and most card games, the game design is asymmetrical, and both sides are playing with decks and playstyles vastly differing from the other.
As the resident Magic nut in the office, it falls on me to defend it. Despite operating with the same card pools, Magic decks are often just as asymmetrical as Netrunner. Two decks can rely on vastly different mechanics and strategies: from aggro, control, combo, tempo and everything in between.

Perhaps the common ground is that Richard Garfield is quite the genius to have designed both games.

Hannibal942 said:
And you don't have to sell your grandparents or mortgage your house to get into it like Magic!
Hey now, I only had to sell one grandparent thank you very much.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
Slycne said:
Hannibal942 said:
Unlike Magic and most card games, the game design is asymmetrical, and both sides are playing with decks and playstyles vastly differing from the other.
As the resident Magic nut in the office, it falls on me to defend it. Despite operating with the same card pools, Magic decks are often just as asymmetrical as Netrunner. Two decks can rely on vastly different mechanics and strategies: from aggro, control, combo, tempo and everything in between.

Perhaps the common ground is that Richard Garfield is quite the genius to have designed both games.
I'm being unfair to Magic, I admit, but Magic isn't quite as asymmetrical as Netrunner. Different decks may operate completely differently depending on the colors and cards, but they can still be interchangeable. Lands are lands and sorceries are sorceries. I only meant to describe to prospective players that corp and runner cards are wholly different, that they are playing two different games from one another. Corps can't install hardware nor Runners ice.

I'm just quite enamored by it's design. I love showing people how to play it.