Andy Serkis Joins Avengers 2

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Andy Serkis Joins Avengers 2

Motion-capture superstar confirms appearance in blockbuster Marvel sequel - won't reveal identity of role

In a brief interview with Variety concerning his return to the role of Caesar in Dawn of The Planet of The Apes, actor Andy Serkis has revealed that he is not only consulting on the motion-capture effects for Avengers: Age of Ultron - he's in the movie.

When asked about his work as a consultant for motion-capture work on AoU (and also Star Wars: Episode VII,) Serkis confirmed: "I'm playing a role (in both films). On 'The Avengers,' I've been working closely with Mark Ruffalo." He would not, however, specify whether his role in the film was physical or a motion-capture character. At this time, Marvel has yet to clarify how the film's main villain - an evil robot named Ultron - will be realized on film, or if any other new characters requiring elaborate FX will be appearing.

Though he has had several acclaimed "normal" acting roles, Serkis is primarily known for his skill at motion-capture performance, whereby his physical movements control the actions of CGI-animated characters. He's likely still best known as Gollum in the Lord of The Rings movies.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2014/film/news/andy-serkis-variety-interview-1201246873/]

Jan 12, 2012
I don't know what he's playing, but Ultron seems unlikely to me; Mr. Serkis does wonderful fluid mo-cap work, and while he could do a robot it seems unlikely they'd get someone that big to play a role that could be done by James Spader himself.

But what do I know. Maybe he'll come riding in on horseback as an ape with a machine gun.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
I just wanna say how much I love that image there. What would Cap's order to Gollum be?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Andy Serkis is a very talented actor, honestly. It's almost sad that he tends to get relegated to motion capture roles. Even if he does those roles extremely well. I do wonder if his face is more expressive and if that doesn't help with motion capture, like Jim Carrey in the role of the Grinch.

Ultron seems likely without other information, but I wouldn't think so considering what we've seen of Ultron. I'd say he's likely working with Mark Ruffalo aiding him with his own Motion Capture work and possibly acting as an assistant directing focusing on Motion Capture performances, as he has done so in the past.

So I don't think it would need him to be particularly expressive.​

Nooners said:
I just wanna say how much I love that image there. What would Cap's order to Gollum be?
"Gollum. They took your precious."

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
"He's likely still best known as Gollum in the Lord of The Rings movies." I actually like him more in planet of the apes, there's alot more story and emotions there and he didn't even have to speak but when he did "ceasar....is home" it was some powerful stuff.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
It has been said that Avengers 2 will have a greater focus on Bruce Banner/The hulk thank the last so could Serkis be playing one of the hulks badguys like Abomination?

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Part of me really wants for him to be providing MOCAP for one or several Hulk-esque failed HYDRA experiments.

There's already been some revealed info that Strucker and friends have been tinkering with humans to mutate (eh? eh?) them into Metahumans.

A side project could easily be an attempt to recreate the Hulk in a controlled setting (As an added benefit, this is a super easy way to introduce She-Hulk)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Since he's playing a role in both Episode VII and Avengers 2, I'm imaging them both as the same character. Not because I think it would happen, but it amuses me.

Even better if they're both Gollum.

Saltyk said:
Ultron seems likely without other information, but I wouldn't think so considering what we've seen of Ultron.
I mean, in a vacuum, yes, but I wouldn't think so based on James Spader being cast as Ultron. It's still possible, but I would imagine they will redesign Ultron to show of James Spader (a practical limitation of the medium, because nobody's willing to cast these big stars and then not show their faces. This is why Spider-Man loses his mask every five seconds, Ghost Rider was around for so little, and Tony Stark's helmet now conveniently pops open routinely).

I also wonder if he would mention these roles if he was merely doing motion work. Not saying he wouldn't, but it does make me curious.

Mostly the Spader thing, though.

ExtraDebit said:
"He's likely still best known as Gollum in the Lord of The Rings movies." I actually like him more in planet of the apes, there's alot more story and emotions there and he didn't even have to speak but when he did "ceasar....is home" it was some powerful stuff.
You may like him better in PotA, but there really is no denying the public's awareness of him mostly stems from LotR.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Fingers crossed he appears as a cyborg King Kong that HYDRA created after stealing his corpse. He will throw barrels full of gollums as his special attack and summon an evolved chimp cavlary for backup.

I know I'd watch that.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
On a related note, has anyone else here watched Wild Bill? It's the only live action role I've seen Andy Serkis in. He plays a crime boss. Good stuff. The man plays villains well. On Netflix if you're interested.

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
It's unlikely but I'm really hoping he's playing Doctor Strange personally, I think he could easily play the role of the scorer supreme and what a great way to introduce the movie going audience and build hype for the film. It'd just be nice to have Andy doing more live roles and less mo-cap ones.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Wow, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Planet of the Apes and now Marvel; what massive franchise will Andy Serkis be in next?

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Oh man... I can think of a major Avengers villain. More of a foe rather than a mastermind, that he would be over the top perfect for. And it would go in with the whole AI run amuck / super intelligent robots theme of Avengers 2.

Can anyone else readily see Andy Serkis's mocap and physical mimicry skills being fully put to the test as the Super Adaptoid? The shape shifting android that can mimic the Avengers powers? http://marvel.com/universe/Super-Adaptoid

Some other Avengers characters that he would be perfect for. Taskmaster http://marvel.com/universe/Taskmaster

Or one real oddball long shot that he would be oddly perfect for, and is one of my favorite D list characters. Aaron Stack aka Machine Man. http://marvel.com/universe/Machine_Man
As much as I want to see his more modern incarnation on screen referring to people as fleshy meatbags and getting drunk, I can't see them including him in the same movie they introduce the vision. Plus he really needs Monica Rambeau http://marvel.com/universe/Rambeau,_Monica to properly play against.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
faefrost said:
Or one real oddball long shot that he would be oddly perfect for, and is one of my favorite D list characters. Aaron Stack aka Machine Man. http://marvel.com/universe/Machine_Man
If he is the same Machine Man from Nextwave, I will happily... do something happy. I don't know.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Objectable said:
faefrost said:
If he is the same Machine Man from Nextwave, I will happily... do something happy. I don't know.
That's the one! By far the best take on the character. (which they continued in a follow up run of Ms. Marvel). Although his classic take in his solo series isn't bad if you can find it.

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
Any chance it's MODOK?

http://marvel.com/universe/MODOK

If this happens, the awesomeness will probably cause the universe to implode.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
YodaUnleashed said:
Wow, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Planet of the Apes and now Marvel; what massive franchise will Andy Serkis be in next?
right? that cat is getting PAAAAAID. it's like when Hugo Weaving was in the Matrix Trilogy and then the LotR trilogy, you know that was a good decade for him.