Angry Birds Crashing Onto PSN This Week

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Angry Birds Crashing Onto PSN This Week

PS3 and PSP owners will get to help the Angry Birds get their eggs back, although not on quite as many levels as on other platforms.

Angry Birds, one of the biggest iPhone games of 2010, is coming to the PS3 and PSP as a PlayStation Mini. This version will feature sixty-three levels, the same as the original release on the iPhone.

The game puts the player in control of a flock of birds whose eggs have been stolen by a group of evil green pigs. In order to get them back, the birds fire themselves from a slingshot in an effort to break down the pigs makeshift structures and crush all the pigs. Each type of bird has a different ability, like breaking into three, smaller birds, or a sudden burst of speed, which maximizes its destructive potential. Presumably, the pigs are storing the eggs somewhere else, or else the birds plan seems slightly counter-productive.

The iPhone version received a number of free updates, taking the total number of levels from the original 63, to a whopping 210. It does seems a little strange that whether developer Rovio Mobile would leave that content out, however, as it has no problem giving it away for free. It's possible that there's some reason that we don't know about - perhaps a file size limitation - that necessitated it.

It's not clear whether Rovio plans to update the PSN version in the same way it did the iPhone. We've contacted the studio about the extra content, and will update if and when we get a reply. We've also asked about what this means for the planned XBLA version, as Microsoft has very strict rules regarding updates.

We don't know how much the game will cost, either. The iPhone version is just 99 cents, but the PSN version will likely cost a little more, for quite a lot less content. Still, not every gamer has an iPhone or an Android phone, and 63 levels is still a pretty decent number, even if other platforms get a few more.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/01/02/the-drop-week-of-jan-3rd-2011-new-releases] via Game Hunters [http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/01/angry-birds-flying-to-playstation-3-psp/1?csp=34]

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I still never bought this for my iphone. Maybe I should check out what the craze is.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I still need to get some type of Smartphone. But I need a steady paycheck, and my parents won't dare foot the bill.

I got a paycheck, but the hours aren't steady enough for me to be ready for a regular phone bill.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
The game was free for me (got a Droid for Christmas as we were switching providers.)

Much fun has been had.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I got the free version on Android over the holidays, and it went on to consume my life for 3 days. I foresee more sleepless nights...

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Is this basically a castle-crusher clone? Like what you can play for free on any flash website? Is that seriously the biggest game on smart phones these days?! Geeze, smart phone but can't say the same for the users :p

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Wicky_42 said:
Is this basically a castle-crusher clone? Like what you can play for free on any flash website? Is that seriously the biggest game on smart phones these days?! Geeze, smart phone but can't say the same for the users :p
It's all of 59p and is updated for free with extra levels. As the new post said. It originally had 63 levels, now 210 odd. It's very refined and very addictive!

OT: If it's the same levels as the Smart Phone version then I won't buy it as I have already completed the levels on my iPhone. No point in doing them all again on my PS3 if I can just pick up my iPhone and do it.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
TimeLord said:
Wicky_42 said:
It's all of 59p and is updated for free with extra levels. As the new post said. It originally had 63 levels, now 210 odd. It's very refined and very addictive!

OT: If it's the same levels as the Smart Phone version then I won't buy it as I have already completed the levels on my iPhone. No point in doing them all again on my PS3 if I can just pick up my iPhone and do it.
Ok, 210 levels is a lot... and 59p is not. Fair doos, I can see how that would be a fun iPone app, but the biggest? Bah ;)