Angry Birds Dev Rovio More Focused On Brand Building Than Games

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Angry Birds Dev Rovio More Focused On Brand Building Than Games

Most of Rovio's employees don't actually work on games.

It's easy to dismiss Angry Birds as a glorified flash game, but its impact goes far beyond whatever it might be as a time waster. Even my grandma knows about it, and is probably better at it too. Rovio has gained exposure far, far outside of traditional gaming circles. It's even branched beyond gaming itself. So, when you pass a row of Angry Birds dishtowels at the store next time, don't be surprised. In an interview with Venture Beat, Rovio CEO Jami Laes said that most of his 800 employees don't actually make games.

"I think less than half [of our employees] are working on games now," Laes said. This fits with Rovio's goal to become an entertainment company, rather than only being a game developer. "But games will always be at the core of Rovio," Laes continues. "That's our heritage... When it comes to future franchises, they'll most likely see the light of day from the games department, rather than another area of our business."

In case you think that cartoon animals violently throwing themselves against each other in genocidal warfare isn't compelling or deep enough, Laes argues that its a tale for the ages. "There's an epic duopoly, an epic battle that's always ensuing between the birds and the pigs." Admittedly, most of that is developed in the Angry Birds Toons videos, which have over a billion views. It's there that Laes says that timeless questions are answered, such as: "Why is Chuck so obsessed with speed? Why is Red the most angry one of them? Why is Matilda the caring, motherly one? Why does Bomb explode sometimes when he's usually so calm?" Why indeed.

Source: [a href=http://venturebeat.com/2014/01/14/rovios-jami-laes-on-keeping-angry-birds-in-the-entertainment-vortex-interview/2/]Venture Beat[/a]

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I've actually seen Angry Birds shower curtains. Yeah, that seems to be a bit much personally.

Still, the games themselves are fun and well put together. So I can't complain too much.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
You can tell, anything that can have one these birds on, has it on! Like the article said "it's easy to dismiss it as a flash game" and I do.

It will soon go the way of all fads, they will die out and their lightening in a bottle will dissipate. I think the fervour has already died down a bit. They keep adding gimmicks to it like the star wars gained abilities such as shooting and a sabre swing but it's still the same game.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Angry Birds? Oh you mean that Crush the Castle clone? The one that blatantly ripped off another game, giving no credit to it's creators while cashing in on their stolen idea?

That one, right.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
I don't blame him. If a basic flash game I made became a multi-million dollar franchise, I'd never want to work again, either.

Honestly, I'm surprised there hasn't been an animated series made yet.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
"Games will always be at the core of Rovio," Which is presumably why most of your employees don't work on them. Just be honest and say that you're milking your cash cow while it still has udders.

balladbird said:
I don't blame him. If a basic flash game I made became a multi-million dollar franchise, I'd never want to work again, either.

Honestly, I'm surprised there hasn't been an animated series made yet.
They made a series of cartoons that they put on Youtube. And weren't they going to make a movie at some point?

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Well, that's all fine and good Rovio, but you might have to question the longevity of your brand. Over exposure can seriously harm even the most popular brands. If the CEO was smart, he would think of a new IP or two to go along with Angry Birds instead of more spin offs.