Angry Birds Dev Spins Piracy as Growing Fanbase

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Baldr said:
Denamic said:
Baldr said:
Can't afford a Lexus? You don't take for an "extended test drive". You don't BUY IT. Piracy is THEFT. You are DELIBERATELY enjoying someone else's hardwork and not paying for it.
Let's say someone has the power to make perfect copies of physical objects with no effect on the original.
He walks up to your car that's parked by the road, and makes a copy of it.
Your car is untouched, but the guy now has an identical copy of that car.
Were your car stolen?
Will you have to walk now?
Well, first off my car cost thousands of dollars. I'd be pissed. Why did I have to buy my car and that guy got his for free. Not to mention the car company which cost them money to build each car can't compete with free.
I was not addressing your feelings or the nature of the vehicle market.
But I realize the car analogy is bad since it involves actual physical objects of a finite quantity.
I just went with it because you used a car analogy.
Digital content is unlimited and easily distributed at zero cost.
In the digital world, competing with free is easy.
Just treat your customers well and don't be a greedy dick, and if your product is good, people will buy it.
Not all of them, but more than enough.
The humble bundles have potentially the best value for any game that's not free, and people still pirate that.
Yet every single humble bundle to date has been an overwhelming success, making a fuckton of money for charity AND the developers.
Steam also competes with free, and they're winning.

Anyway, you completely missed/disregarded the point.
Piracy is not theft because the original object is untouched.
Nothing is actually removed from its owner.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Denamic said:
Baldr said:
Denamic said:
Baldr said:
Can't afford a Lexus? You don't take for an "extended test drive". You don't BUY IT. Piracy is THEFT. You are DELIBERATELY enjoying someone else's hardwork and not paying for it.
Let's say someone has the power to make perfect copies of physical objects with no effect on the original.
He walks up to your car that's parked by the road, and makes a copy of it.
Your car is untouched, but the guy now has an identical copy of that car.
Were your car stolen?
Will you have to walk now?
Well, first off my car cost thousands of dollars. I'd be pissed. Why did I have to buy my car and that guy got his for free. Not to mention the car company which cost them money to build each car can't compete with free.
I was not addressing your feelings or the nature of the vehicle market.
But I realize the car analogy is bad since it involves actual physical objects of a finite quantity.
I just went with it because you used a car analogy.
Digital content is unlimited and easily distributed at zero cost.
In the digital world, competing with free is easy.
Just treat your customers well and don't be a greedy dick, and if your product is good, people will buy it.
Not all of them, but more than enough.
The humble bundles have potentially the best value for any game that's not free, and people still pirate that.
Yet every single humble bundle to date has been an overwhelming success, making a fuckton of money for charity AND the developers.
Steam also competes with free, and they're winning.

Anyway, you completely missed/disregarded the point.
Piracy is not theft because the original object is untouched.
Nothing is actually removed from its owner.
So video games are made from thin air and cost nothing to make. gotcha.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Baldr said:
So video games are made from thin air and cost nothing to make. gotcha.
You really have no idea how to make arguments, do you?
You should probably read up on common fallacies and avoid using them in the future, because they really only serve to ridicule yourself.
Unless you're arguing with a 10 year old.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
At least I don't have to use personal attacks to validate my arguments.