Angry Birds Theme Park Opens in China

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Angry Birds Theme Park Opens in China

Kids can run around on an Angry Birds playground without fear of being catapulted into pigs.

The first officially licensed theme park based on Rovio's Angry Birds game opened to the public last week in Haining, China. The park first opened in September but officially opened with a celebration on Oct. 1. The park covers about 10,000 square meters, has a bird castle, a parkour activity park, a musical stadium, a store selling licensed merchandise, and a gaming area. There are different areas for different age groups, but the park is mainly for children.

The park has been planned since 2011. It has been well-received since its opening. Kotaku included two pictures of reactions to the park on Weibo, a social media site similar to Twitter. Both posts stated their children were happy to be at the park.

Angry Birds has been a wild success around the world, but especially in China. A previous Angry Birds theme park opened in Changsha, China, but it was unlicensed. Furthermore, an Angry Birds curriculum [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127834-Rovio-Reveals-Angry-Birds-Curriculum-for-Public-Schools] adopted at a Shanghai public school covers everything from mathematics to physical education.

Angry Birds is a good example of how mobile games can take the gaming industry by storm. For some people a game of Angry Birds is more addicting than sitting down in front of the TV with an AAA game.

The mobile game was released in 2009 and has spawned several additional episodes, special editions, and subsequent games in the series.

Source: Kotaku [http://game.people.com.cn/n/2013/1002/c48662-23096786.html]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I dont know whats more amazing.

That Angry Birds became this powerful a marketing force.

Or that the Chinese theme park is legitimate.

Toastngravy

Jan 19, 2009
Will be shut down in under 5 years. I am of course being generous with that time frame, it's just how these chinese theme parks go.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Toastngravy said:
Will be shut down in under 5 years. I am of course being generous with that time frame, it's just how these chinese theme parks go.
Probably cheaper to build a whole new park than bother hiring maintenance staff... Chinese economics are a confusing mess.
gigastar said:
I dont know whats more amazing.

That Angry Birds became this powerful a marketing force.

Or that the Chinese theme park is legitimate.
I find the fact that we have an instance of the Chinese actually obeying copyright and intellectual property laws to be the most interesting thing about this article.

This post is starting to sound very racist? sorry I guess? It?s not a reflection of Chinese PEOPLE but how the economy of China (the nation, not the people) works.