Angry mom sends letter to family of autistic child telling them to have him euthanized.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
RatherDull said:
I agree with whoever wrote the letter.

We're not in a situation in our society where we absolutely need everyone to survive. If someone is harboring a child like that at the cost of everyone else and being a drain on society, then it is better to have the kid euthanized.

For everyone's sake.
There are many who are a far worse drain on society than him. If he must die, so ought they. If we must go by that rather insectoid logic.

But then again, they can speak for their defence. It's much less difficult to judge their right to live over their heads if they can do that.

Furthermore, I thought this reguarded the first world, a part of the planet living in the greatest abundance in human history. I really doubt that the average first world country lacks the means to look after the less fortunate members of it.
This could've flown if we'd recently endured an atomic war or a horriphic, global disaster. As it stands, it does not. At all.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
RatherDull said:
Muspelheim said:
RatherDull said:

We're not in a situation in our society where we absolutely need everyone to survive. If someone is harboring a child like that at the cost of everyone else and being a drain on society, then it is better to have the kid euthanized.

For everyone's sake.
There are many who are a far worse drain on society than him. If he must die, so ought they. If we must go by that rather insectoid logic.

But then again, they can speak for their defence. It's much less difficult to judge their right to live over their heads if they can do that.

Furthermore, I thought this reguarded the first world, a part of the planet living in the greatest abundance in human history. I really doubt that the average first world country lacks the means to look after the less fortunate members of it.
This could've flown if we'd recently endured an atomic war or a horriphic, global disaster. As it stands, it does not. At all.
We aren't there yet, but we're heading there. Especially with the impending ecological disaster and the impending ecosystem collapse.
Perhaps we ought to wait until then before we brush off the Aktion T4 programmes, however.

Provided a state with the power to decide which citizens will live or die survive the calamity.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
As someone who used to live next door to a family who allowed one of their children to stand in the garden for hours making an ungodly amount of noise shouting and screaming, brushing off complaints about this behaviour with "its not our fault, he's 'special' " I have a degree of sympathy. I would also like to make it quite clear that "special" was their word, not mine.

When subjected to that kind of noise disturbance on an ongoing basis it is only natural that sooner or later someone is going to snap, and when that happens the person in question is probably going to do or say something stupid out of anger and frustration.

This is not to suggest that what this woman did was ok, and given the nature of her comments and the focus on his disability rather than his behaviour, it would seem another bias on her part was at least an influence here. In short, I find her opinions quite vulgar and her view of people with disabilities less than palletable but in terms of her core complaint regarding the noise and nuisance, I think she has a legitimate grievance.

Audey_hevey

Aug 24, 2013
What a b****. I don't care how much of a nuisance you think they are, you don't treat them like they were a mistake and like we'd be better off without them. Why don't you teach yourself and your kids some manners and treat this boy with some dignity and respect. While you're at it, take some classes on how to treat people who are slightly different than you (maybe some anger classes as well) and take the things you learn and teach them to your kids. People with disabilities are still people no matter how you see them and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect and not like they are a danger to society.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
RatherDull said:

For everyone's sake.
So how would you define this? You are spending your time on an internet forum instead of learning something new, that person who wrote that letter certainly wasn't very tolerable to others to begin with seeing as how they identified the kid, and calling their children "normal children" instead of just "children", if we kept only what we needed to survive, you'd be gone, so would everyone on the escapist, so would the person who wrote that letter, so would brilliant scientists since they don't produce what we absolutely need to survive, advocating murder, like you are doing, is not a good thing.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
RatherDull said:
Muspelheim said:
Perhaps we ought to wait until then before we brush off the Aktion T4 programmes, however.

Provided a state with the power to decide which citizens will live or die survive the calamity.
We don't even need a system like that. Whoever works gets food for one person. Children included.

Those unable to work starve.
The entire world would be wiped out within a few years.
You really aren't thinking this through, many mothers are unable to work during and after pregnancy, they'd starve, along with their kids (since they would also be unable to work), even if the kids got free food the education system would cease to exist since they'd be working for the day, and not every job requires daily work, what about the days people have off? How about vacations? You make those impossible and eventually the people working will snap, what about farmers during the winter? You'd starve those who make the fucking food to begin with, there'll be thefts from food storages by people unsatisfied with the current system and if it was possible this system would be destroyed within a month (if not weeks). This is a terrible system, one of the worst I have ever seen, and don't try to salvage it, just abandon it and try to make a better one next time.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
HoneyVision said:
Euthanasia is just inherently wrong. The very idea of it is just twisted.
Voluntary euthanasia is perfectly fine in my eyes. Involuntary euthanasia, however...

OT: Wasn't there some lady a few years ago who was infamous for saying things just like this?

In any case, what this person has said is fucked up, but is it really worth getting hyped up about? Maybe if you knew the family that was affected personally, or if the woman who sent the letter made threats about hurting the kid herself, but otherwise it just sounds like another case of a hateful nutcase being a hateful nutcase.

Nicha11

Apr 17, 2009
I feel the amount of people in this thread supporting this letter writer's hatred to be a little strange.
If the worst thing in someone's life is that a few time a month a kid is loud in the neighbor's backyard,
you've got a pretty sweet life going. If their response to his sound pollution is an anonymous (and poorly
written) letter spewing vitriol about how he should be put down because he's a 'retard' baby or what not, then
perhaps it is the writer of the letter who needs help for their mental illness, not the child.

BlackFlyme

Dec 27, 2012
RatherDull said:
Muspelheim said:

We don't even need a system like that. Whoever works gets food for one person. Children included.

Those unable to work starve.
Jesus Christ that was disturbing to read. Do you realize how many people work irregular hours?

Unless the government gave out food for simply possessing a job factories would grind to a halt, packages would never get delivered, and stores would have to be fully automated because everyone would be avoiding any job that did not offer a full 40 hour week.

And if kids were required to work, how would they get an education?

I've worked in a factory for years, and there have been periods where I did not have work. Sometimes a dry streak can last for weeks. Seems funny now, that my manager always describes the industry as being either "feast or famine."

Nicha11 said:
If the worst thing in someone's life is that a few times a month a kid is loud in the neighbor's backyard, you've got a pretty sweet life going.
Also this. People seem to be glossing over the fact that it was the grandmother who received the letter, not the parents. The kid isn't there 24/7. He doesn't even live in the same town.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
RatherDull said:

For everyone's sake.
Because your contribution to society is completely efficient and ecologically friendly, as you spend time browsing and posting in an Internet chat forum on a video games web site vie a computer, run by electricity, built in China, harboring God knows how many poisonous chemicals and artificial materials. And the fact that you (presumably) play video games and watch anime are also not at all in excess of what is required to survive. Because excess is the foundation of western society, and you do not at all indulge in that excess.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Nicha11 said:
I feel the amount of people in this thread supporting this letter writer's hatred to be a little strange.
If the worst thing in someone's life is that a few time a month a kid is loud in the neighbor's backyard,
you've got a pretty sweet life going. If their response to his sound pollution is an anonymous (and poorly
written) letter spewing vitriol about how he should be put down because he's a 'retard' baby or what not, then
perhaps it is the writer of the letter who needs help for their mental illness, not the child.
Just so you know, you don't have to manually press return every time you hit the end of a line while typing. If you just keep tying in the text box, the words will automatically continue to the next line. This should make posting for you a lot easier, and a lot easier for everyone else to read ;-)

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
That is terrible. Unfortunately, it is not that uncommon. Disabled people get subjected to a lot of abuse. Perhaps not as much abuse as they suffered 50 or more years ago, but disabled folks still face a lot of discrimination. All human beings deserve good treatment, regardless of disabilities or lack thereof. Anyone who truly hateful of the disabled is a bad person.

Apologies if you are Autistic and take offense at the term "disabled". I know that some Autistic people are not disabled, but quite a few are and this child (the one who was the subject of the abusive letter) is fairly profoundly disabled as a result of his Autism.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
That's pretty fucked up. Although I'd be lying if I said I couldn't see where she was coming from. Completely unacceptable and horrible, but if I had to live next door to a screaming autistic kid, I might lose my temper too. That being said, I wouldn't tell the parents that they should euthanize/harvest the organs of their child. It almost seems like sending a letter like that could be illegal, and interpreted as a threat. If I was sent a letter like that I think I'd call the police. All those exclamation points... yikes.

Lilani said:
RatherDull said:

For everyone's sake.
Because your contribution to society is completely efficient and ecologically friendly, as you spend time browsing and posting in an Internet chat forum on a video games web site vie a computer, run by electricity, built in China, harboring God knows how many poisonous chemicals and artificial materials. And the fact that you (presumably) play video games and watch anime are also not at all in excess of what is required to survive. Because excess is the foundation of western society, and you do not at all indulge in that excess.

Nicha11

Apr 17, 2009
Lilani said:
Nicha11 said:
Just so you know, you don't have to manually press return every time you hit the end of a line while typing. If you just keep tying in the text box, the words will automatically continue to the next line. This should make posting for you a lot easier, and a lot easier for everyone else to read ;-)
Never! I hate long lines of text!

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
scorptatious said:
RickyChinese said:
I kind of sympathise. I doubt they literally believe that the disabled should be euthanized; they're frustrated because they have to deal with that shit in their homes and have probably been dealing with it for some time.

People say a lot of shit when they're frustrated. Besides, what kind of parent lets their low functioning autistic child run the street, acting up? At least she took it out on them instead of the kid.
I get what you're saying. Although I do think she could have handled this situation a lot better. A letter simply asking them to keep the kid under control would have sufficed.

Polite tends to not work with people who let their children run free.