Animal Crossing Drops The N-Bomb

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Animal Crossing Drops The N-Bomb

There aren't many things you can't say in this day and age but the N-bomb is certainly one of them, so it's more than a little odd that press copies of Nintendo's Animal Crossing: Wild World [http://www.animal-crossing.com/wildworld/] game would contain just that particular racial slur.

Copies of the game with all of the content unlocked were recently distributed to gaming sites in order to show how easy it is to move content from Animal Crossing: Wild World for the Nintendo [http://www.nintendo.com/ds] had someone play the game and then copied the saves for distribution to game writers. (Not me, sadly.)

It turns out that you can train the game's virtual residents to say all kinds of new and interesting words, and apparently someone at Nintendo thought it would be amusing to train a sheep named Baabara to greet the player with a hearty, "How are you, n---a?" The slur was first discovered by Stephen Totilo of Kotaku's [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/12/03/nintendo-plays-a-game-for-me-includes-slur/] Brian Crecente. And that's not all: According to Crecente, Baabara peppers her conversation liberally with the word, saying things like, "I almost forgot about you, n---a," "So got any juicy gossip for me, n---a?" and "Just thinking about it gets me all excited, n---a."

This material won't show up in the retail version of the game, as the characters have to be trained by players to say things, but even so this is just wrong on so many levels that it makes my head swim. In this day and age, who in their right mind would even consider something like this funny? Admittedly, the Japanese culture allows for a lot of stuff that just don't fly on this side of the water, but this is utterly, incomprehensibly inappropriate. I think it's safe to say that Nintendo, and quite possibly the world, will be minus one would-be comedian in very short order.

via: Kombo.com [http://ds.kombo.com/article.php?artid=6762]

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Ok, look. This is the most rediculas thing i've ever seen.

When you have a critter in a town, it says stuff, and you can get the option to change that. You. Not japan. Not the game. You.

If i want it to call me donkeypunch, i can make it call me donkeypunch.

Animal crossing is not dropping the N bomb, the player is. And it makes the game much more bearable.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Wait, so this is just something that someone trained the programming to say? So why does it matter? This is like getting pissed off about a mod adding nude character models (yes, Oblivion).

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Its time for everyone to get off their high horses. This is hardly anything to get worked up over. Its a freakin' video game. If someone gets kicks out of that particular word (I for one found the "So got any juicy gossip for me, n-a" to be particuarly funny), then let them.

John Tacos

Nov 25, 2008
This is a load, if you want them to say something different, you can tell them that. It's just someone's juvenile idea of being funny.

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
If you have such a bad sense of humour, at least be careful not to include it in the release thingie. This guy deserves to lose his job for stupidity, even if he really isn't a racist.

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
I think its pretty funny. I am an African America and I think it is freaking hilarious. Besides you can hear a heck of a lot worse coming out of any Hip-Hop song...

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
So the user got someone to say a racial epithet in their version of the game. Just theirs.

How is this news and/or controversy. Oh right. It isn't.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
theApoc said:
I think its pretty funny. I am an African America and I think it is freaking hilarious. Besides you can hear a heck of a lot worse coming out of any Hip-Hop song...
Where the heck did they put African America? I can't find it in any Atlas

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
Well most Sheep have black skin, with white fur. So clearly Baabara is completely justified in using the soft R version, That is "Nigga", rather than N***er. One is ebonics, the other is a slur.

perfectimo

Sep 17, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
How is this new?

Animal Crossing classic for the Gamecube used to have some of the animals ask you for new words to say, being tired of their pre-programmed *Chirp* or *Bark*, etc. We had them say everything from Bukakke to Vagoo.
Same thing here, the first time one of the residents asked me if they used a saying to much I said yes and that opened up a whole new world to me.

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
I could have done that in the Pokemon games by naming my character if I wanted to, it's pretty much the same thing. No real problem, though I wouldn't be suprised if this gets way more attention than it deserves.