Anime Review: Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone

KValentine

Mar 4, 2009
Anime Review: Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone

The definitive '90s mindf*ck mecha series, shinier than ever.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its something I was dubious about looking into. I remember the NGE of the past, with all the mind blowing conversations and symbology oozing out of every dialogue or cell...

I've yet to see this, and, although this article has more of less re-affirmed what I believed it would be. I'll likely still buy it at some point, if at least to say I have seen it.

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
Being a big fan of the series for along time i have to say i was surprised this was as good as it was so i would recommend to any old fan.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Out of curiosity, has there been any mention, perhaps as a commercial on the DVD's, that they'll make Angelic Days into an anime? Is it already an anime? I haven't been following it.

For those who don't know what NGE: Angelic Days is, it's the expanded version of that short mindf-uck sequence where Shinji ***Spoilers you should already know so I'm not putting them in a box*** imagines a less screwed up world, where his family wasn't destoryed, where Asuka was his best friend, Kaworu was his creepy friend who was obsessed with him, and Rei was ultra-happy-peppy and a new student, etc. ***End Spoilers***

Though that series is a bit cliche, I'd still like to see it made, if only to see what NGE not ending in mndf-ckery is like.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Is Hideaki Anno even involved in this retelling of it? I mean is he the one directing the episodes or does he have any say in what happens with it?

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Onmi said:
gof22 said:
Is Hideaki Anno even involved in this retelling of it? I mean is he the one directing the episodes or does he have any say in what happens with it?
Yes, it's HIS STUDIO he made it because he wanted to redo Evangelion now that he's Sane. While You are (Not) alone is fairly the same You can (Not) advance just runs in the opposite direction and branches off. There will be a new ending, new characters, more sane.
I just read the review for You Can [Not] Advance.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hmm, I was kinda looking forward to this new version, but if they dumded it down for the masses then I'll just rewatch the platinum edition.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I'm hoping to see this movie one day, but not until after I watch the original series.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Fredrick2003 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Hmm, I was kinda looking forward to this new version, but if they dumded it down for the masses then I'll just rewatch the platinum edition.
I'm rewatching the Platinum edition right now, gets better every time I see it.
Wow, someone else on this forum who actually likes this show. I'm always a little cautious in revealing my love for it since the general feelings towards anime here are pretty bad, but concering NGE it's downright ugly.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Onmi said:
gof22 said:
Yes, it's HIS STUDIO he made it because he wanted to redo Evangelion now that he's Sane. While You are (Not) alone is fairly the same You can (Not) advance just runs in the opposite direction and branches off. There will be a new ending, new characters, more sane.
Evangelion is not the same when its creator has triumphed over depression. Whether that's a good or bad thing is entirely up to you (and whether you watched the original).

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
robbins123 said:
... Why can't they just have dvd's of the 26 episodes? If they exist, I want them because I don't want to go through some crappy retelling/condense. Does that ever sound good to anyone? Not to someone who doesn't just want the battles.
Perhaps you don't realize that these are an ongoing series of movies being shown in Japan, and that we're only now (officially) getting the first due to the DVD being released. There was no intention to redo the entire series. There isn't an actual 26-episode series to watch except the original TV series.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
I already watched it but it was without subs so I couldnt understand a thing what they where saying (maybe a good thing since I got a bit sad when I watched the original series) but the designes where pretty cool

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
The main reason why I couldn't get past the first couple of eps is because I can't stand Shinji's character. maybe this'll make it slighty more bearable.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
This was one of the only anime that I thought was truly good, and it looks like they managed to screw it up, so I will not be watching this.

Phokal

Oct 12, 2009
Catchy Slogan said:
The main reason why I couldn't get past the first couple of eps is because I can't stand Shinji's character. maybe this'll make it slighty more bearable.
Shinji isn't a likable guy. You can think of his character as kind of like Baltar from the new BS:G. Important to the story, a bit crazy, and not really likable. Except NGE does a bit more with him since he's the single, central character (unlike BS:G's approach with a central cast of equally important characters).