Anime Review: Heat Guy J

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Anime Review: Heat Guy J

Detectives, mobsters, robots, and bagpipes. What more do you want?

Read Full Article

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Bagpipes?

Freakin sold.

Actually, I watched this awhile ago, when it was on M-TV of all things (or was it M-TV2?). Or, rather, I watched about 3 episodes, than I found the fan-subbed version and watched the whole thing.

It's been awhile, and this review has tempted me to go and watch it again, until I remember that I have no freakin time to watch old anime a second time through because I have so many others to watch (and I'm in college).

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
I just finished watching this last night and agree with your assessment. I'm curious though; when did they ever call Daisuke "Dice?" I have to assume that was taken from the dub because he's more commonly -- and logically -- referred to as "Dai" in the sub.

"Dice" is particularly nonsensical when you consider that the only character with any relation to the namesake item is Vampire's bodyguard Mitchal, who carries a pair of dice.

Edit: Also, the series gets extra points for having a very stylish, horror-modeled introductory scene when Boma makes his debut appearance.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
RollForInitiative said:
I just finished watching this last night and agree with your assessment. I'm curious though; when did they ever call Daisuke "Dice?" I have to assume that was taken from the dub because he's more commonly -- and logically -- referred to as "Dai" in the sub.

"Dice" is particularly nonsensical when you consider that the only character with any relation to the namesake item is Vampire's bodyguard Mitchal, who carries a pair of dice.

Edit: Also, the series gets extra points for having a very stylish, horror-modeled introductory scene when Boma makes his debut appearance.
Yeah, it was in the dubs that he was called Dice. Not that he had anything to do with dice, it was just used as an abbreviated version of his full name, e.g. Joe/Joseph.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
mindlesspuppet said:
Yeah, it was in the dubs that he was called Dice. Not that he had anything to do with dice, it was just used as an abbreviated version of his full name, e.g. Joe/Joseph.
I thought so, but shortening "Daisuke" down to "Dice" sounds as goofy as shortening "Joseph" down to "Joes."