Anime Review: Heroic Age, Part 1

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Anime Review: Heroic Age, Part 1

A young feral child is actually a giant robot monster. Mowgli, eat your heart out.

Read Full Article

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Aha, and anime review. Nice to see Escapist Magazine know what a good percentage of their readers enjoy. Will this be a regular thing now?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sparrow Tag said:
Aha, and anime review. Nice to see Escapist Magazine know what a good percentage of their readers enjoy. Will this be a regular thing now?
It will. In fact, we're launching our anime review section this week with a "Week O' Anime." It'll be a regular thing from now on.

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Sparrow Tag said:
It will. In fact, we're launching our anime review section this week with a "Week O' Anime." It'll be a regular thing from now on.
Nice, I'd enjoy that.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Sparrow Tag said:
Awesome. I really hope they cover FLCL.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
cainx10a said:
Is the Escapist only going to be limited to reviewing localized Anime?
For the time being, yes, as we have no way of legally acquiring titles not yet localized in the States.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Is there any chance of there being other nerd topic reviews in the future? Manga, comics, sci-fi shows, fantasy novels and those kinds of things?

And about the review, is it of the first instalment of a DVD release? It isn't clear how much of the series is being reviewed, unless each disc is labelled as "Part X". I have a whole load of issues with anime reviews in general which I won't bore anyone reading this thread with, but that was something that stood out to me.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
pigeon_of_doom said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Is there any chance of there being other nerd topic reviews in the future? Manga, comics, sci-fi shows, fantasy novels and those kinds of things?

And about the review, is it of the first instalment of a DVD release? It isn't clear how much of the series is being reviewed, unless each disc is labelled as "Part X". I have a whole load of issues with anime reviews in general which I won't bore anyone reading this thread with, but that was something that stood out to me.
To the first question - we'll see. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but it's not something that's on our radar right now.

To the second - yes. All the reviews will be titles that are either available on DVD or will be shortly. In this case, it was the first half (13 episodes) of Heroic Age.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
pigeon_of_doom said:
And about the review, is it of the first instalment of a DVD release? It isn't clear how much of the series is being reviewed, unless each disc is labelled as "Part X".
It's a review of the "Heroic Age: Part 1" boxed release, which contains the first thirteen episodes of the series.

Edit: Ah, the Funk beat me to it!

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
bue519 said:
Great review. Do Darker than Black next. :D
Glad you enjoyed the review! Well, I can't say I'd mind a crack at DtB - I've been watching it since release - but I've already got the next round lined up. Perhaps one of the reviewers will tackle it when it sees a proper boxed set release.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Sparrow Tag said:
So, uh, will it be only newer Anime, or will we be seeing some classics, like, for example, "Hokuto No Ken?" My god, I sound like a broken record.

Also, I thought that (and, rather, I'm pretty sure that), due to the weird way both Japanese and American liscensing works and interacts with each other, as long as the Anime is not licensed in the states (or somehwere in Europe, or wherever the reviewer of each particular anime lives), than it's not illegal to download a fan-subbed version, because, as stated, it technically doesn't appear in any legal databases for that country, meaning it basically is of no concern to the government.

Yeah, streching a bit, but I'm almost positive of that... well, until each Anime is inevitably brought over. Like, for example, Lucky Star. It was perfectly fine and legal to watch fan-subbed versions for awhile, like on Crunchyroll, but when it was licensed in the US, the person who runs the site took it down, stating that it had only than become illegal to host that show.

Yeah, sorry that the wording is so horrifically awkward. I'm running on no sleep (as I often am), so I'm a bit loopy right now. I also apologize if I was inadvertantly rude.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Mstrswrd said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Sparrow Tag said:
So, uh, will it be only newer Anime, or will we be seeing some classics, like, for example, "Hokuto No Ken?" My god, I sound like a broken record.

Also, I thought that (and, rather, I'm pretty sure that), due to the weird way both Japanese and American liscensing works and interacts with each other, as long as the Anime is not licensed in the states (or somehwere in Europe, or wherever the reviewer of each particular anime lives), than it's not illegal to download a fan-subbed version, because, as stated, it technically doesn't appear in any legal databases for that country, meaning it basically is of no concern to the government.

Yeah, streching a bit, but I'm almost positive of that... well, until each Anime is inevitably brought over. Like, for example, Lucky Star. It was perfectly fine and legal to watch fan-subbed versions for awhile, like on Crunchyroll, but when it was licensed in the US, the person who runs the site took it down, stating that it had only than become illegal to host that show.

Yeah, sorry that the wording is so horrifically awkward. I'm running on no sleep (as I often am), so I'm a bit loopy right now. I also apologize if I was inadvertantly rude.
It will be new-ish stuff; We've got a fairly large backlog, though, and if we catch up with what we have we might well start going back.

We don't like to support piracy at The Escapist, even in a less clear-cut scenario like the one you mention. These will only be titles legally obtainable in the States. Combine that with fansubs - which can be notoriously unreliable - and having to assume all of our reviewers have the internet connection, hard drive space, and willingness to download torrents/etc? Yeah, it's... just not going to happen. :p

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Very nice review. I may have to check it out after I finish getting through my backlog of anime on my shelf.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
It will be new-ish stuff; We've got a fairly large backlog, though, and if we catch up with what we have we might well start going back.

We don't like to support piracy at The Escapist, even in a less clear-cut scenario like the one you mention. These will only be titles legally obtainable in the States. Combine that with fansubs - which can be notoriously unreliable - and having to assume all of our reviewers have the internet connection, hard drive space, and willingness to download torrents/etc? Yeah, it's... just not going to happen. :p
Fair enough. I do understand where you are coming from, being a site so many view per day, subtly advertising downloading something vaguely illegally, even if it's not, can get you guys in hot water, so, yeah, no complaints from me, I'll end up enjoying the reviews anyway.

Reinis

May 29, 2009
Is this the first anime review in The Escapist? Too bad you had to begin it with series as disappointing as Heroic Age.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Sparrow Tag said:
Finally. I'm glad to see them actually here. I still wish I could have actually tried but if the other reviewers(I assume there are more reviewers) are as good as this guy they would have beaten me anyway.

As per the review, very good, I was about to comment on the lack of mentioning the subs and dubs but they were hidden away right at the end so no problems there, although I would have liked to see more than a passing reference to the music.

Another question for you Mr. Funk, are there going to be video supplements for the anime reviews in the same way there are for game reviews?

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
black lincon said:
although I would have liked to see more than a passing reference to the music.
It's funny you should say that. I would have said more about the music but a passing reference was all it was really worth in this series; a bit sad considering the quality of Naoki Sato's previous offerings.