Anime Review: Pumpkin Scissors

KValentine

Mar 4, 2009
Anime Review: Pumpkin Scissors

Did somebody kill the writers in charge of the original plot?

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its always hard to get a good, true picture of what happened during the great war...and from the sounds of this it dosnt really do it any justice...

Shame.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Is there some sort of reason a military relief squad would refer to itself as the Pumpkin Scissors? Because if I was a part of a team called the Pumpkin Scissors, I would not be able to tell anyone my team's name without busting out into laughter.

Seriously, that's quite possibly the silliest name I've ever heard for something that isn't actually supposed to be an amusing non-sequitor. I wouldn't blink an eye if this was about the wacky adventures of a rock band, but that is a pretty damn ridiculous name for a serious organization.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Awwwe, and the first episode that I saw a while back looked so promising. Glad I watched DBKai instead.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
I've never heard of this, and at first you made it sound so promising. Well, that sucks that it goes nowhere and does nothing (a failing of many "almost good" anime).

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
If you like anime(not the guns and girls, boobs and blood crap) watch it, if not skip it.
I enjoyed it not bad not great but worth a watch.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Is there some sort of reason a military relief squad would refer to itself as the Pumpkin Scissors? Because if I was a part of a team called the Pumpkin Scissors, I would not be able to tell anyone my team's name without busting out into laughter.

Seriously, that's quite possibly the silliest name I've ever heard for something that isn't actually supposed to be an amusing non-sequitor. I wouldn't blink an eye if this was about the wacky adventures of a rock band, but that is a pretty damn ridiculous name for a serious organization.
There's a specific reasoning behind why they are called that, something to do with cutting through corruption and the pumpkin symbolism fat government sitting around - or something like that. There are some pretty silly unit names out there though, possibly even stranger than this.

I agree fully with KValentine though, this series really suffered from it's horribly disjointed pacing and plots. There's some interesting stuff in there, but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
I really did like this anime. Good, but the failings of it never got it past average good. Though I did enjoy the moments big-man flipped on his light-can!

NinjaDC

Jan 24, 2010
This anime is like Hellsing anime (not OVA)in that it has its flaws, but there are too many great moments to pass it over

Especially since Funimation has put up the whole series on their website for free viewing

http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=71

So ignore the reviewer and check it out at Funimation's video website (amongst other anime they put up for free)
Go Funimation :)

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I have to admit I kept watching the episodes hoping for more diving into the insight of that super-soldier program. Like the review said it just never picked a plot point and stuck with it. I was loving when they were diving into the military's dark past and then next up was a filler episode with minor character development that was forgetten by the next episode.

I was starting to feel let down until that dude from the flamethrower unit showed up and started to bring up a lot of stuff about the old military shenanigans but it was also eventually just lost under unresolved plot threads. At least the humor and characters were very enjoyable. "I NEED BREASTS!!"

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
I'm just wondering who the heck came up with Pumpkin Scissors, of all names. That said, I think I'll stick to Umineko no Naku Koro Ni. Thanks for doing the review!

Nanban Jim

Aug 14, 2010
I'm really not sure where you got the idea that this tries and drops different plots out. It's a Gonzo production. They're notorious for dangling several pilot seasons out there and only continuing with the ones that have the broadest merchandising appeal. It's not that these plot points were tried and then dropped; this is a first season done right, developing the setting as a primary focus, introducing characters and long-term plot secondarily. The whole thing got dropped (probably in favor of something that goes like this: "dweeby high school boy surrounded by hot girls who want him but he can never have them," seems to be a sure-fire money maker over there). The first season of Supernatural would have been likewise disjointed.

As for the name, well, yeah, it's explained in the show, and apparently the Japanese were never taught how to name things without sounding like a kindergartener. :p

TomDaBear

Aug 6, 2011
blah to you sir who wrote this. I say it was good, needs some work but good. Its people like you who go around telling people to "Skip it" that causes less viewers and ruins any chance of a continuation to a series that deserves a finish. Who are you to go around telling people not to watch something just because it was a little lacking in some areas. Did you even know that the show was developed at the same time as when they were writing it. I think not so of course its going to have its issues. Get off your high horse you pompous arrogant fool and quit putting down something that has plenty of chances to make its self better. That's right i went there.