Anime Review: Spice and Wolf

JoshV

Mar 20, 2009
Anime Review: Spice and Wolf

A salesman and a cute wolf-girl goddess get together to ... talk about economics?

Read Full Article

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
The funny thing is, last night on Escapist IRC, I said something like: "You know what they should review? Spice and Wolf".
Still, a good review.
[small]and her name is Horo, not Holo[/small]
Sorry, it just annoys me.
I really enjoyed this anime myself, and I find it much better than the second series.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
The funny thing is, last night on Escapist IRC, I said something like: "You know what they should review? Spice and Wolf".
Still, a good review.
I really enjoyed this anime myself, and I find it much better than the second series.
Same here. I got this as a present at christmas (I had already seen the Japanese version though) and really, really enjoyed it.

The great thing about this series is, although you may call is slow pacing, is the fact is explains. I know some might find it slow and dull at times, but, its all this explanation and itnrigued surrounding the guilds, the church, and the fantasy which combine to create a great series.

I would disagree with the end bit, do buy it. It may not appeal to the thrill seekers in anime, but, to those who like deep stories with a nice addition of fantasy, its a gold nugget.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
I've watched this and to tell you the truth i can't understand the almost fanatic cult following this series has. When you say this anime is bad, the immediate defense from the throngs of anime enthusiast will jump down your throat.

I enjoyed it but it really doesn't deserve its status as a 'great' anime. All i got out of it was that this was a lesson in medieval barter economics.

But yes the characters are really flushed out compared to many anime. So what is said i totally agree with.

p.s. If you watch anime then im sure you came across the Phrase "penis butterfly" well this is where it came from. The ending song 'Ringo Biyori' is sung in terrible engrish and in one part it sounds like the artist from Rocky Chack says 'penis butterfly'

Oct 2, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
Still, a good review.
I've noticed the discrepencies between the "l" and "r" sounds in Japanese to English translations before, it seems to be a common problem. I haven't seen "Spice and Wolf," so I'm not sure where the error would lie there, but I do know that a similer discrepency occured with "Hellsing". However, the error there seems quite clear to me. The main character's name is quite obviously "Alucard," not "Arucard" (Dracula spelled backwards).

Splyth

Jan 30, 2009
Country
United States
I liked. The world building was great. I got the impression there was this whole world out there with different traditions and customs. it was a refreshing change from the generic midevial fantasy story we all know. Besides I love the witty banter between Kraft and Horo

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
darthcendiarygrenade said:
Greyfox105 said:
Still, a good review.
I've noticed the discrepencies between the "l" and "r" sounds in Japanese to English translations before, it seems to be a common problem. I haven't seen "Spice and Wolf," so I'm not sure where the error would lie there, but I do know that a similer discrepency occured with "Hellsing". However, the error there seems quite clear to me. The main character's name is quite obviously "Alucard," not "Arucard" (Dracula spelled backwards).
Yeah, the "r" and "l" thing. It's really up to the people translating to figure it out. Most of the time, the "r" should stay an "r," like with Horo, or Ren (not Len) from Shaman King, or Zoro from One Piece. Other times, like Alucard, its an "l" because it's just the Japanese taking a word/name that has sounds they don't have, and their approximation of it.

Anyway, yeah, Spice and Wolf. Wouldn't buy it if you paid me (so, yes, I agree with you, JoshV), but for an anime I watched in anime club... in one night... it was pretty good.

MassuguGo

Sep 3, 2009
Mstrswrd said:
for an anime I watched in anime club... in one night... it was pretty good.
The anime club at my university is a bunch of pansies...can't sit down for more than 3 episodes of anything...dear god if its the same show for all 3 eps. >.>

Good ol' marathoning is the best way to watch any show. You get the whole show in your head to juggle and think about. Leaves a better impression that way.

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
I'm watching it with the local anime club and quite frankly find it extremely boring, it seemed to get intresting about 8 (I think) episodes in, but then went straight back to economics.

InvisibleSeal

The Invisible One
May 3, 2009
Jaredin said:
The great thing about this series is, although you may call is slow pacing, is the fact is explains. I know some might find it slow and dull at times, but, its all this explanation and itnrigued surrounding the guilds, the church, and the fantasy which combine to create a great series.

I would disagree with the end bit, do buy it. It may not appeal to the thrill seekers in anime, but, to those who like deep stories with a nice addition of fantasy, its a gold nugget.
I wouldn't really call it slow either. I think it takes more time to explain everything and to develop the characters to be realistic, whereas alot of anime simply use stereotypical character types to avoid having to explain. I'm not saying all anime do this, just that some I have seen sacrifice character development for a fast paced plot.

Even though I would count myself to be more of a fan of shows with alot of action, I think the underlying intelligence of this one really drew me in.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
MassuguGo said:
Mstrswrd said:
The anime club at my university is a bunch of pansies...can't sit down for more than 3 episodes of anything...dear god if its the same show for all 3 eps. >.>

Good ol' marathoning is the best way to watch any show. You get the whole show in your head to juggle and think about. Leaves a better impression that way.
Wow... that is a weak club (no offense intended if you are part of it, as you sound much more awesome than they). Our club meets every Friday at 8:00 PM, in a moderately large classroom, and we watch on a good projector that doesn't mess with the colors too much. It usually lasts 4 hours, if we all have stuff to do, 3 hours, and if we all feel like it, 5 hours. Where does yours meet? I would aks for how long, but you've already answered that.

We watched about half of 3 seperate anime series once, because we didn't have the full series on DVD (the official club is really particular about only watching stuff we can legally watch, while the other anime club, which is unofficial, watches whatever they feel like, including but not limited to stuff they torrented, stuff they own, and hentai, when they feel like it). The 3 series thing I advise never to do, because while it was fun, by the end, we were all combining opening themes in out heads. It was painful, but awesome.

Show them this post. Perhaps it will inspire them to buckle down and actually watch.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Horo is probably one of the best written characters I can think of - despite being a wolf-god with perky animal ears, she seems to be more interesting and more human than any heroine in recent memory. She's an actual character, and not simply a rolling ball of cliches wrapped in needless and irrelevant fanservice. Even on the when the quality of the banter drops below excellent, it still manages to sidestep a fair number of anime tropes, and progresses like an actual conversation between two people might.

Greyfox105 said:
Still, a good review.
Actually, if you don't feel like taking the R/L as interchangeable, "Holo" is closer to the author's intention. He's mentioned as such in interviews.

But, again, it doesn't matter, since both may as well be correct. I go with Horo anyway, out of personal preference, but calling it more correct than Holo would be silly.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
I wasn't interested in this anime really but decided to read the review and for some reason the whole economic angle seems like it may be interesting so I may watch it. =)(I'm not even interested in economics just find it cool an anime trying to do something different...)

BTW, you can watch the series for free LEGALLY at http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=288

Tim11pop

Apr 12, 2009
I quite enjoyed this one, I watched both the subbed and dubbed versions and wasn't amazingly happy with Holo's voice actor but I got used to it.

Her name is Holo by the way, the Japanese language doesn't make use of the 'L' as the English language does and as such they are taught out of it as they are learning to speak, hence it may sound different when the Japanese are saying her name. Sorry to leave a bit of psychology stuff in here

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Mstrswrd said:
MassuguGo said:
Mstrswrd said:

Wow... that is a weak club (no offense intended if you are part of it, as you sound much more awesome than they). Our club meets every Friday at 8:00 PM, in a moderately large classroom, and we watch on a good projector that doesn't mess with the colors too much. It usually lasts 4 hours, if we all have stuff to do, 3 hours, and if we all feel like it, 5 hours. Where does yours meet? I would aks for how long, but you've already answered that.

We watched about half of 3 seperate anime series once, because we didn't have the full series on DVD (the official club is really particular about only watching stuff we can legally watch, while the other anime club, which is unofficial, watches whatever they feel like, including but not limited to stuff they torrented, stuff they own, and hentai, when they feel like it). The 3 series thing I advise never to do, because while it was fun, by the end, we were all combining opening themes in out heads. It was painful, but awesome.

Show them this post. Perhaps it will inspire them to buckle down and actually watch.
I was the Program chair of my old University's Anime club... I don't really know what I was supposed to be doing, but I got inside info like the University wouldn't give us the budget to get a Netflix account. >.>

Though I know in our case the problem was largely our regulars had very different tastes in anime. Our first president loved romantic comedies, while the Vice President loved over the top violence, meanwhile one guy had to leave the room at the sight of blood (the fluid, not the 50 episode series Blood+). The only thing we all agreed on at the time was Escaflowne.

I'm a world building geek, so I'll need to give this a look.

p3t3r

Apr 16, 2009
so is this the guy the chose for the new anime reviewer with the contest and every thing or what.

maybe if he reviews a good actiony type anime i will watch it. because i always kind of wanted to watch an anime

coblen

Nov 18, 2009
This is the best anime about nothing. honestly nothing happens in most of the episodes, yet it always remains entertaining