Anime Review: Toradora!, Part 1

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Anime Review: Toradora!, Part 1

It's more subtle than your average high school show, but it's also much, much better.

Read Full Article

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
USA or Canada... Damn it!

Looks good. I would watch it, but... No legal way to do so.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Oh, sweet. I had heard good things about it, and, that it was pretty high up on a few friends "To watch list".

Ill have to try give it a shot sometime

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Nice.
Iv been hearing good things about this series.
Ill haft to keep my eye on it.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
This show is actually REALLY funny, I had a moment sheer laughing fits every episode. My favorite(s):

and the Infamous meeting between the two:

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I just finished it the other day. I found it to be rather generic and predictable... but for some reason strangely compelling and I want to rewatch it but I want to get on to watching other anime first. The characters and comedy were what kept me going as I saw the ending coming by about the second or third episode.

Worth watching, but don't be too surprised if you can say, "Called it!" by the end of the series.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
SilverUchiha said:
I just finished it the other day. I found it to be rather generic and predictable... but for some reason strangely compelling and I want to rewatch it but I want to get on to watching other anime first. The characters and comedy were what kept me going as I saw the ending coming by about the second or third episode.

Worth watching, but don't be too surprised if you can say, "Called it!" by the end of the series.

Yeah it's not gonna sucker people like you said, but there's a lot going on. As people often observe with Japanese narratives the journey is more important than the destination. Besides many of the subplots are more much more emotionally charged than the overall story. ("That Shitty Old Man")

Anyway this is a strong contender for my favourite anime. This post is a seal of approval from a shrivelled up joyless overly critical masochistic anime watcher. A few of its well exectuted cliches made me gasp like a girl...

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
I watched this awhile ago (take a guess how), and I almost want to take offense at saying we won't get the Dragon-Tiger thing, but then I thought about it for .3 seconds, and realized most people won't.

However! You underestimate anime fans.

If we're watching Toradora!, then chances are that we've all done at least a little research, whether overtly or when looking up an anime, and probably know at least some of the reference about Dragon's and Tiger's, even if it only extends to the point of knowing that the two interact, and are entwined in Myth, even if one doesn't know any of the actual stories (Shamefully, I haven't read enough japanese myth to get anything more than "They are connected." I need to move on from Norse Mythology, I've been on it awhile, and it's time to go to the next culture... which is Egypt. Damnit.).

Wow. I sound really bitchy here. I sincerely apologize.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
I rather enjoyed the first episode when I watched it, but haven't gotten around to watching the series. This review, in combination with it being the good aspects of Shakugan no Shana from what I know, might make me finish it.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I definately enjoyed the series and receomend it to anyone to likes romantic-comedy anime.

Not to spoil the series, but do not watch the last few episodes piecemeal or after a particularly emotional day or you will be bawling your eyes out.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
Absolutely loved the show. Always thought it a proudly sailing vessel among the sea of fail that is the school drama genre.

[sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub]Timotei is also reluctant to admit she has almost a dozen Toradora statues >.>[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Gonna' be honest, I didn't read your review, just gonna' share my thoughts on this show first, I'll edit later after I've read it.

Toradora! is probably the best romance show of any kind that I've ever seen. Yes, it is fairly formulaic, and anyone can tell from the 4th or 5th episode EXACTLY how things are going to end, but the characters and story are just so damn well done you probably won't even care. Ryuji and Taiga have more chemistry than any other leading couple I've seen in anime, outside of maybe Clannad. I recommend it to everyone who has a drop of romance in their soul, and I've yet to receive complaints for it.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
MisterShine said:
Toradora! is probably the best romance show of any kind that I've ever seen. Yes, it is fairly formulaic, and anyone can tell from the 4th or 5th episode EXACTLY how things are going to end, but the characters and story are just so damn well done you probably won't even care. Ryuji and Taiga have more chemistry than any other leading couple I've seen in anime, outside of maybe Clannad. I recommend it to everyone who has a drop of romance in their soul, and I've yet to receive complaints for it.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Toradora! is the most fantastic romantic come\dy I've ever seen. Hands down the greatest.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Timotei said:
Absolutely loved the show. Always thought it a proudly sailing vessel among the sea of fail that is the school drama genre.

[sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub]Timotei is also reluctant to admit she has almost a dozen Toradora statues >.>[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]
i only have 8.....

FEtard

Jun 13, 2009
Interesting factoid furthering on the Dragon/Tiger aspect. The title. The title itself is irrelevant until you find out the translated aspect. Tora being Japanese for Tiger and "dora" as a pseudo-Engrish translation of dragon - "Doragon".
The result is that the anime is essentially called "Tiger and Dragon".

Fusoiya

Mar 6, 2010
:< mai favorite Tsundere!

No but seriously, this is in my top 5 animes fighting for the number 1 position against Dance in the Vampire Bund.
I just love how well the characters get developed throughout the series.

Wrds

Dyslexic Wonder
Sep 4, 2008
I really loved this show. It started out gimmicky, cliche, and silly, but I liked it anyways.

It gets on my nerves when people instantly turn their nose up at a show for it's cliche's. Still, after reading the Light Novel, I was unable to watch the show again. Taiga is much less annoying tsundere, and ryuuji seems much less retarded, because he has these interesting inner monologues that can be rather funny.

dthvirus

Oct 2, 2008
Actually, this is the anime I hate the most out of all shows I've watched thus far. I'm fine with tsundere, but when the tsun-tsun side becomes "violent psycho", it's a real turn-off for me. I couldn't find a single redeeming quality in Taiga throughout the show.

Don't get me wrong, I've dealt with the Rie Kugimiya loli-tsundere archetype before (Shakugan no Shana, Hayate no Gotoku!) but Taiga is completely different. I liken her to a bratty child who does whatever she wants, gets away with it, and what's more, and ends up in a better position than before. It's quite maddening. They try to justify her behaviour a few times, but it's very weakly done

The show has a great cast and great comedy (comedy is actually damn good), but Taiga just screws with it.

Smits090

Aug 13, 2009
I have seen this anime, and i recommend it to anyone looking for some laughs, it definitively has them.

So i'd say look it up!