Anime to game and game to anime

jamesc

Jul 30, 2008
No, this isn't a thread saying how these things usually suck. I actually found myself enjoying most anime games I've played, and mot game animes I've watched. So this is just a simple discussion thread. So what games do you think would make great animes? What anime do you think would make a great game?

For me, God hand would be the perfect anime. It has the right sense of humor, and the final credit song would make a great intro. The premise could be that after Angra, tons of other demons and such wanted a chance to get at the god hands, and they could base it around his and Olivia's adventures. I know it's not perfect, but hey, I wouldn't be writing the show(hopefully that would fall to the same peole that did it for the game)

For anime games, I think that Samurai 7 would work as, hey, a God Hand esque beat em up, with extremely detailed levels and cool character designs. The boss fights could be other samurai.

So what do you guys think?

Merteg

May 9, 2009
I enjoy the Naruto games for the X-Box, and I enjoy reading the Naruto manga. The anime pails in comparison to the manga.

ihitterdal

Jun 30, 2008
I wish that they would make a Gunslinger Girl side-story game that worked a bit like Rainbow Six, with tactics being of massive importance. However, for reasons that should be pretty obvious, it'd be hard to release without massive amounts of controversy.

BeastofShadow

Jun 29, 2009
I'd have to go for the Guyver BioBoosted Armour. The other one would be Hellsing. That would be fun.

ShadeOfRed

Jan 20, 2008
They're the only other media that can get translated into games well, and vice versa. I think that might have something to do with them both being primarily Japanese, and that they don't see the need to make everything Darker and Edgier(tm).

That being said, a lot of the anime I watch wouldn't work as a game, other than something Point-and-click or Text-based. It would essentially be a visual novel.

FLCL would be a really wierd fighting game though.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
For some reason I'm allergic to Japanese games, I really liked Final Fantasy 9 as a kid, then I played The Last Remnant recently and got imediate deja vu, haven't played anything else.

Anime on the other hand... Fuckloads. I heard there was a Deathnote game on DS that sounded rather interesting, anybody know much about that?

And then there's Visual Novels. I've read about two, not sure if they count as games or what...?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Black Lagoon. Granted it would just be one big gunfight, but it has the potential for a huge amount of original content, kind of like Samurai Champloo.

As for games...Metroid Prime, or MadWorld.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
This is as close as I get to anime/game crossovers.

Watch that nutbladder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSvOowL7rkU

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
For Game to an Anime I'd say P3:FES, it has a animish art style and plenty of action though and the Social links would be great with actual voices.

As for a Anime to a game, I'll still go with a Code Geass turn based strategy game ala Fire Emblem or advanced wars, It has the perfect set up.

BlindTom said:
Anime on the other hand... Fuckloads. I heard there was a Deathnote game on DS that sounded rather interesting, anybody know much about that?
All I know about at least one of them is you play L or Light trying to figure out who Kira or L are. Sounds kinda cool

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
UncleUlty said:
For Game to an Anime I'd say P3:FES, it has a animish art style and plenty of action though and the Social links would be great with actual voices.

As for a Anime to a game, I'll still go with a Code Geass turn based strategy game ala Fire Emblem or advanced wars, It has the perfect set up.

BlindTom said:
All I know about at least one of them is you play L or Light trying to figure out who Kira or L are. Sounds kinda cool
Yeah, htose are the only descriptions I've found, needless to say my imagination has run away with me and envisioned a game that couldn't possibly exist...

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Imagine Big-O as a game! Think of the diversity. You'd get batman-esque puzzle solving with gadgets in third-person, car chases, and to top it all off, massive mecha fights in a city. There was a cowboy bebop game for the ps2, but they cancelled it for some reason, releasing it only in Japan. Annoying really. I want to know how good some of the Lupin III games are (also only released in Japan).

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Games to anime
-Shadow Hearts & Shadow Hearts Covenant (it's creepy and funny and so very damn good! Real potential here, I tell ya.)
-Legend of Legaia (okay, so maybe you'll laugh, but I really liked it on the PSOne and to be honest, I think it's possible)
-Jak (Yes, even weirder, but hear me out, there's loads of story here and a lot of gaps to be filled. Jak in anime form might seem like a scary idea at first, but... I'd like to see them giving a shot)

anime to games
-Tekkonkinkreet (something with an open world, the entire city at your feet and then just fight/fly/jump/fall like the mad little kid you are)
-Dead Leaves (mindf*cked piece of cult, slashing and shooting all the way baby, high-speed action)
-Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (shooter with simulator aspects to aid the solid story)
-Steamboy (action/adventure, it's all there, really...)

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
I don't care how stylistically opposed they are, I want my Half Life 2 anime, damn it!

As for games based on anime, isn't Gurren Lagann begging for a game? Seriously, just watch it and tell me that kind of awesomeness isn't meant to be played.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
A random person said:
I don't care how stylistically opposed they are, I want my Half Life 2 anime, damn it!
I'd love to see that if only to hear japanese people say: Gordone Fureeman.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Gungrave is a really bad game... Which then turned into one of the best animes ever! If you haven't watched it, then you should do that as soon as possible.

The only good thing about Naruto is the fighting, which in turn spawn a pretty funny pseudo-fighting game.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
Xvito said:
Gungrave is a really bad game... Which then turned into one of the best animes ever! If you haven't watched it, then you should do that as soon as possible.

The only good thing about Naruto is the fighting, which in turn spawn a pretty funny pseudo-fighting game.
I happened to like Gungrave(the game(haven't seen the anime)). It brought me back to Sega's finer past works, like Vectorman and Streets of Rage.

OP: I'd think that M.A.R. could make a good game(for those weapons fanatics), as well as I think Zack and Wiki would make a good anime(pirates, love, treasure, and a decent story(anyone see a connection?).

KjellKanon

Aug 6, 2009
Trigun would make a neat game.

If I'm to go the other way, I'd say Assassins Creed would make a cool anime.

Rodger

Jan 27, 2009
A random person said:

As for games based on anime, isn't Gurren Lagann begging for a game? Seriously, just watch it and tell me that kind of awesomeness isn't meant to be played.
Gurren Lagann apparently had a game already. And it apparently sucked. But it came with an OVA scene.

"Did you see it? Rabbit ears flaming and burning! Forced unification, USAGGON LAGANN!"

You can probably find the OVA on Youtube.

Anyway, for anime to game, I'd like to see a Nanoha RPG. Maybe even an MMO. Not necessarily with the characters themselves, but one where you could make your own character using the magic/technology classes from Nanoha. There actually is a Nanoha game being made by Namco (and thus, like most Namco games, probably staying in Japan) but its a fighting game. Bears a strong similarity to a fanmade fighting game crossover called Magical Battle Arena. I can't remember all the series involved, but Nanoha and Cardcaptor Sakura are in it.

For game to anime...I want to say Etrian Odyssey 2, in the style of the pre-release comics. Comedy/action anime where the characters routinely get killed in the labyrinth but its ok because death is a slap on the wrist. Etrian Odyssey in general would work, so long as the classes from EO2 are there. 4th walls will be broken, other anime/games referenced (such as having scenes where, when reviving a recently deceased character, the doctor in the hospital yells "COMMENCE THE OPERATION!" with overly dramatic effects) Of special note, one of the characters has to be naive and inexplicably tasked with holding onto the group's warp wire. Said character, while going through the labyrinth, will suddenly say "Aww! Look at the cute wittle squirrel!" Warp wire is promptly stolen by said squirrel. And lets not forget the butterflies late in the game...