Anime where it sounds better Translated

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
I'm UK English.

I only watch subs, but I'm here because I can think of one case in anime and a few in videogames where the dubs are just better; either due to casting or because the original voice actors were somehow more awful than the on-average unbearable US anime circuit garbage.

So in anime, I could just about watch DBZ dubbed. It's not good by any means, but it's better than the original thanks to casting. As someone mentioned above, Freiza (among others) just doesn't sound right in JP.

ItouKaiji

May 14, 2013
Bad anime is always better dubbed. I don't think I could have made it through Mad Bull 34 or Angel Cop without their hilariously awful dub jobs. I don't anyone would care about Garzey's Wing if it wasn't for the poorly translated, poorly acted dub. Or you have something like Ultimate Teacher, no one told the dub actors it was a screwball comedy so everyone plays their roles perfectly straight which makes it a piece of comedic genius.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I guess that I'm one of those "strange" people that loves their anime exclusively in Japanese with english subs, because anything other than that makes me cringe when I stumble upon dubbed ones.

But hey, that's just me, but from the reviews I have read I do know a few that are quite good: Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon and that's about it.

AustinN

Dec 31, 2013
The english version of Panty and Stocking. The dialogue is much funnier. From what I've seen of the subbed version, the original's dialogue is downright boring in comparison.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
for me, Cowboy Bebop, reason is obvious... Tenchi Muyo dubbed is wayyyyy better because of Ryohko sounds like a mature woman who is comfortable with her sexuality is isn't afraid to let you know, who as well sounds like an evil maniacal space pirate when she needs to be. there is also Washu, because i simply love the voice actresses portrayal as Washu. every other character sounds almost exactly like their Japanese counter part. Inuyasha i really like dubbed because Inuyasha sounds like an asshole in English. Black Lagoon, because of Levi and the black guy is voiced by a black guy, though Rock sounds better in Japanese as he sounds more like your typical Japanese grunt businessman. Michiko and Hatchin is better in english. Space Dandy was designed to be spoken in english first (and we get the show BEFORE Japan does). loved Samurai Champloos dub. XXXHolic is great dubbed because Yuki the time witch sounds like a mature woman in english while in Japanese she sounds too young. Spice and Wolf has a great dub. Psycho-Pass is great dubbed (watch this if you like Ghost in the Shell and Judge Dredd). on that note, Ghost in the Shell dubbed is fantastic, and i hope we get more soon (and not a fucking OVA like Rise). Air isn't bad dubbed, and so isn't Clannad. Dragon Ball Z is way better dubbed. Full Metal Panic is a great dub (god i wish the Novels would be localized... and a new series made)

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star had a pretty good dub, and of course, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood had a much better dub than sub.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Ghost Stories.
The anime was receiving poor ratings in Japan, and was then sent to the United States in hope of bolstering its viewings. The creators of the show allowed the English voice actors to have free reign of what they said as they were dubbing the show, and hilarity ensued. Though the show is not actually scary as the creators were originally going for, the voice actors make up for the stereotypical nature of the show through their ad-libs throughout the episodes.

<youtube=SxJ4VWoeOzs>
<youtube=JsYeeNywXL4>
<youtube=ZX4mJn36fs4>

LostGryphon said:
Going to have to echo some other suggestions in here...

Spice and Wolf (Horo!)
If we're talking dubs, wouldn't it be Holo?

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
dyre said:
I'll be totally honest here...I hated Helsing OVA. I thought it had an unimaginably stupid story, an utterly dislikable main character (Alucard), a terribly boring antagonist, and some seriously shitty dialogue. I only put it on the list you quoted because I know it's a generally well-received anime so in the interest of public knowledge I listed it up there.

The only people I liked were Seras and Pip/the Wild Geese (and actually I really liked those characters) and I liked their dubs more, so I ended up giving my preference to the dubs. Also, having different accents for different nationalities was a good touch that was absent in the Japanese version.
I'm a hardcore fan of Hellsing and I gotta say... I respect your opinion, it's definitely not a series for everyone, or maybe even most people.[footnote]There are some parts that even disturb ME. Like Seras's backstory and the murder-rape of Rip Van Winkle. Though those both establish important things in the story. The first establishes why a beautiful young woman became a cop and stayed a virgin her whole life. The latter tells the audience "No really, that guy you've been rooting for this whole time is a hideously evil monster." I don't care if Rip Van is a Nazi Vampire, those scenes always unsettle me.[/footnote] It's an exploitation piece turned up to 11. There are a lot of subtleties hidden underneath the surface but in the end it comes down to "Which is more powerful and evil, Nazis or Dracula?" which yeah is pretty dumb, but I find fun.

As a long time fan of Dracula I also find the characterization of him refreshing and fascinating. His question is similar to Doctor Manhattan's, once you become a god, how does that affect your relationship with people and how do you fight the endless boredom of existence? It's clear that Alucard has only allowed himself to be enslaved by the Helsing family out of respect for their bravery and boredom from being his own master for centuries. And he takes perverse pleasure in trying to corrupt his master Integra Helsing, goading her into ordering him to greater violence. He is after all, at the end of the day, evil.

Buuuut more on topic, I've heard that there are regional accents (from different areas/islands of Japan) used in Hellsing, at least in the manga. Don't know how true that is in the animes though. One of the reasons it probably works so well in English is that the names are European. It's usually a little odd to hear English VA's try to pronounce very Japanese names without making it seem like a struggle.

Also other series that sound better in English-
Outlaw Star (that might just be nostalgia)
Big O
Cowboy Bebop (of course)

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
None.

The only things that are dubbed here where I live are series for small kids. From the age of 12 or so you are left with only the original language + subs.
That also means that I know almost no one in real life who would prefer watching a dub over the original.

Even the supposed "good" dubs proposed in this thread make me cringe at the first words those characters utter. They all sound horribly forced, no matter whether it's in English, my own language (Dutch) or frekking Swahili. I can smell it from miles away.

Honestly, there's nothing in terms of "first world problems" that bugs me as much as dubs. From my point of view it's the result of a narrow-minded attitude of "own language first". Instead of trying to copy the original we should accept to enjoy a wide variety of cultural influences and differently colored content in this day and age.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
I prefer all of my anime in English. With very few exceptions.

I'd prefer to have mediocre to poor voice acting I can understand rather than good voice acting which I can't.

Also English voices mean that I can actually do something else whilst I watch anime.

Some Anime where I consider the Dub superior.

Cowboy Bebop: an uncommon opinion I know
Dragon ball Z: Go on... go and listen to Goku's Japanese voice for 5 minutes straight I dare you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjve9s90DRU (Fuck the DBZ Japanese dub)
Vampire Hunter D BloodLust: My all time favourite anime film Eng dub has a lot more character than the Jap one.

moosemaimer

Apr 14, 2011
Wings of Honneamise/Royal Space Force has a great dub. It sounds like people talking to each other, not actors reading a script.

thefascistpig

May 21, 2013
Ratty said:
dyre said:
I'll be totally honest here...I hated Helsing OVA. I thought it had an unimaginably stupid story, an utterly dislikable main character (Alucard), a terribly boring antagonist, and some seriously shitty dialogue. I only put it on the list you quoted because I know it's a generally well-received anime so in the interest of public knowledge I listed it up there.

The only people I liked were Seras and Pip/the Wild Geese (and actually I really liked those characters) and I liked their dubs more, so I ended up giving my preference to the dubs. Also, having different accents for different nationalities was a good touch that was absent in the Japanese version.
I'm a hardcore fan of Hellsing and I gotta say... I respect your opinion, it's definitely not a series for everyone, or maybe even most people.[footnote]There are some parts that even unsettle ME. Like Seras's backstory and the murder-rape of Rip Van Winkle. Though those both establish important things in the story. The first establishes why a beautiful young woman became a cop and stayed a virgin her whole life. The latter tells the audience "No really, that guy you've been rooting for this whole time is a hideously evil monster." I don't care if Rip Van is a Nazi Vampire, those scenes always unsettle me.[/footnote] It's an exploitation piece turned up to 11. There are a lot of subtleties hidden underneath the surface but in the end it comes down to "Which is more powerful and evil, Nazis or Dracula?" which yeah is pretty dumb, but I find fun.

As a long time fan of Dracula I also find the characterization of him refreshing and fascinating. His question is similar to Doctor Manhattan's, once you become a god, how does that affect your relationship with people and how do you fight the endless boredom of existence? It's clear that Alucard has only allowed himself to be enslaved by the Helsing family out of respect for their bravery and boredom from being his own master for centuries. And he takes perverse pleasure in trying to corrupt his master Integra Helsing, goading her into ordering him to greater violence. He is after all, at the end of the day, evil.

Buuuut more on topic, I've heard that there are regional accents (from different areas/islands of Japan) used in Hellsing, at least in the manga. Don't know how true that is in the animes though. One of the reasons it probably works so well in English is that the names are European. It's usually a little odd to hear English VA's try to pronounce very Japanese names without
making it seem like a struggle.
Also other series that sound better in English-
Outlaw Star (that might just be nostalgia)
Big O
Cowboy Bebop (of course)
Tbh the tfs version is my personal favorite veraion of hellsing just becuase it makes everyone more likeable

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Cowboy Bebop and anything Ghost in the Shell, especially Stand Alone Complex, spring to mind pretty much immediately for me. Gurren Lagann had an alright dub. If the show had been more serious I probably wouldn't have said so due to over-acting, but it fits the goofy nature of the show. I hear the dub for Black Lagoon is really good as well. Other than that, I don't know since I've not watched much anime in general. I hear the dub for Black Lagoon is really good.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
thefascistpig said:
Tbh the tfs version is my personal favorite veraion of hellsing just becuase it makes everyone more likeable
Well that's because it's a parody. Really Hellsing isn't a story about good vs. evil it's a story about evil vs. evil. Every character and every organization is evil in some way.

Millennium are military evil, they love death, carnage and destruction.
Section XIII represent blind religious zealotry and corruption turned toward violence and war.
The Hellsing Organization has a bit of that religious zealotry but really they're more about the evils of oligarchy.[footnote]This is hinted at by Yan Valentine "People starving in the world and she spends money on this?" and by some lines in the series epilogue.[/footnote]
The Wild Geese - "We kill for money, or just for the fun of it."

Dracula/Alucard combines all of these flavors of evil into one entity.

Seras is the only "pure" character in the series, and in the end she gives in to her evil vampiric powers to fight a greater evil. Everyone in Hellsing is evil, it's just a question of which is the least evil, and which one is strongest and smartest.

AustinN

Dec 31, 2013
Ratty said:
Well that's because it's a parody. Really Hellsing isn't a story about good vs. evil it's a story about evil vs. evil. Every character and every organization is evil in some way.
Well that's good to know. I've listened to The Major's "War" speech. If I ever decided to watch Hellsing, I think I'd be rooting for his side.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
English

I tend to try to watch both subs and dubs of anime, and most of the time I end up enjoying both. There are trade-offs to watching a dub which make it better suited for some things than others - it being in a language I can understand means my eyes can focus on the art, not the text, and get more out of it that way, and a good dub lets you take more away from the performances involved, given that you actually understand what's being said - not to mention a good dub script cleans up translation issues and might even be able to add in some English idiom along the way.

That said, firstly, you're not always going to find a good dub, and in those situations the Japanese is usually better, and even if it isn't, the impact of bad voice acting is lessened if you can't understand the language, so all things being equal, better poor Japanese acting than poor English acting. Moreover, when things get particularly ridiculous or hammy in the script (say, Code Geass, everybody shouting passionately), if you have it subbed, you pick up on the passion, and you read what's being said, but there's a disconnect there that lets you ignore how ridiculously they're speaking, whereas if you listen to it in English, you just instinctively facepalm at hearing words like that come out of a person's mouth, despite how much you're otherwise enjoying things.

Usually, I watch a thing in Japanese first, then try out the dub, and assuming the dub holds up to a certain standard, regardless of where the subbed version stands, then if I rewatch it, I usually go for the dub, because I like to be able to relax and not have my eyes paying constant attention to reading, I can either do something else in the background or just get immersed in the animation. Some subs are good and fun enough, and sometimes have enough of a difference with their dubbed counterparts, either in the character voices or the script, that I'll mix it up between reruns,but they're few and far between (Baccano!, Steins;Gate, etc.)

thefascistpig

May 21, 2013
Ratty said:
thefascistpig said:

Millennium are military evil, they love death, carnage and destruction.
Section XIII represent blind religious zealotry and corruption turned toward violence and war.
The Hellsing Organization has a bit of that religious zealotry but really they're more about the evils of oligarchy.[footnote]This is hinted at by Yan Valentine "People starving in the world and she spends money on this?" and by some lines in the series epilogue.[/footnote]
The Wild Geese - "We kill for money, or just for the fun of it."

Dracula/Alucard combines all of these flavors of evil into one entity.

Seras is the only "pure" character in the series, and in the end she gives in to her evil vampiric powers, allowing herself to become an angle of darkness, to fight a greater evil. Everyone in Hellsing is evil, it's just a question of which is the least evil, and which one is strongest and smartest.
I know its evil vs evil, I mean I watched every ova and read the manga but I just love in the tfs one everyone loves being evil and don't just sound like they want to die, bleh I just think hellsing is better being not serious but hey preferences

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
thefascistpig said:
I know its evil vs evil, I mean I watched every ova and read the manga but I just love in the tfs one everyone loves being evil and don't just sound like they want to die, bleh I just think hellsing is better being not serious but hey preferences
I never watched the TFS parody to be honest. It's always seemed to me that would be like a parody of a comedy, because Hellsing is already so over the top. I mean, it's got a Butler who kills people with razorwire from his fingertips, Dracula turns into a little girl at times, seemingly just to tease Walter. Seras's boobs are bigger than her head[footnote]To be fair there's exactly 1 panty shot in the whole series. There's surprisingly little "fanservice" considering the exploitation-movie like tone.[/footnote] and lots of other little eccentricities that add up to say we're not supposed to take things 100% seriously all the time. Just the sheer amount of violence and gore is so amazingly over the top[footnote]This is the series that spawned the near-meme "Nazi vampires eating babies!"[/footnote] that I find it hard to not laugh at it sometimes.

AustinN said:
Ratty said:
Well that's good to know. I've listened to The Major's "War" speech. If I ever decided to watch Hellsing, I think I'd be rooting for his side.
Ehh the Major is enjoyable, but so are most of the characters. Mellinium and Section XIII have their fans but I support Hellsing personally, Alucard, Seras are fun and for my money Integra is easily one of if not the coolest and sexiest woman in anime.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Witchblade

No, wait, no stop, listen to me here. I know its fanservicy but my god I cried by the end and the English is leagues better then the original Japanese.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
moosemaimer said:
Wings of Honneamise/Royal Space Force has a great dub. It sounds like people talking to each other, not actors reading a script.
Fun fact: the side character Matti was voiced by Bryan Cranston during his dubbing days. I really like Royal Space Force, one of the few Gainax productions that doesn't annoy me on some level.

I'll always take a dub in my own language for animation. (live action films is different, subtitles all the way). If I have to listen to a helium voice, I'd rather hear one I can understand.

And then there's the word vomit that can happen with Japanese. It's a rather frustrating language to listen to when that is the only thing driving the story. You end up with stuff like this, except deadly serious: