Anita Sarkeesian states that sexism against men is impossible

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
thaluikhain said:
As mentioned last time this came up here, she is very clearly talking about institutionalised sexism. Yes, she's having trouble expressing a complicated issue inside the confines of twitter.
As irked as I was on a first reading? Whatever. I'll concede the point and give the benefit of the doubt due to how forcefully truncated the medium is.

I am, however, leery of her lack of...I don't know...using a simple "(1/2)" or something similar at the end of her tweet, then continuing/expounding upon the thought in a second one.

Or, eliminating extraneous words, like "that's because," and replacing them with relevant terms like "institutionalized" to properly convey the idea the first time around.

So, we'd wind up with something like...

There's no such thing as institutionalized sexism against men. It is prejudice + power. Men = The dominant gender with power in society.
Still not well phrased...but, eh, two minutes of my time.

I still disagree, mind, yet not having some sort of qualifier just makes it seem like either laziness or intentional baiting on her part and, according to her, she spends hours figuring out how to properly phrase her tweets so the latter feels more likely at this point.

Which is fine, I suppose. Trolls gotta troll. White noise of the internet and such.
Colour Scientist said:
harrisonmcgiggins said:
I was at the bookstore today, and it just so timed that a lady was coming in the door right behind me.

I did not hold it open for her (dont wana becsexist after all)
And yes, i did think it through and come to that conclusion in the second it took to think about it.

Let them stew in the world they created.
That's rude, you should hold the door open for everyone.

It's insanely petty to take the time to think "no, this is a woman, I had better be rude to prove some inane point to myself."
Have to agree here.

Come on, man. You're just being selfish. Holding doors, for anyone, is just polite and makes someone else's day marginally better for very little effort on your part.

It'd be nice if people could do something even that small for one another without getting all political about it.

[small]Edit: Oh, 1000 posts. Woo! Wasting my life![/small]

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I thought after she blamed that school shooting on men everyone declared her batshit insane and decided to stop talking about her.

Guess not.

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
SOCIALCONSTRUCT said:
It isn't just Anita saying this, this is the consensus within feminism.
I wouldn't say that feminism has a "consensus" about anything. It's much too large and diverse a movement.

Addressing the original topic, though, that ... is just an incorrect statement. I'm kind of floored by how out of touch it is. Is sexism a bigger problem for women than men? Yeah, sure. But men do have to deal with it too.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
The internet can't distinguish, or at least refuses to accept, that there is a difference between normal feminists who want equal rights in certain places in the middle east & Africa, from man-hating feminazis who want men to pay for the sins of their forefathers by agreeing to have less rights than women to make up for it. Kinda like how when people think of Animal Rights Activists, they overlook the Humane Society & the ASPCA & look straight to PETA; the crazy uncle that makes the whole family look bad.

This is as dumb as an extremely racist man who hears & sees racist undertones in everything he sees & hears & believes that only racism against whatever he happens to be counts as racism at all. It's also as dumb as that guy on FOX who thinks there's a war on Christmas because some clerk at the Walmart said "Happy Holidays" to him instead of "Mery Christmas," or a fanboy who takes any review of something he likes, no matter how unbiased it may be, as a slander, because he doesn't believe in a grey area between love & hate. Basically, racists are the first to make an accusation of racism, & sexists are the ones calling everything left & right sexist.

Seriously, she started off with some legit points, but now she's kinda degraded into a troll. If you just ignore her, & Miley Cyrus, & Justin Bieber, & Taylor Swift. It's almost like they thrive on negative publicity, feed on it.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Rosiv said:
The quote reminds me of the phrase i hear about how: "Black people cant be racist because they are not the dominant race in society."

Even if its true by definition, similarly to Sarkeesian's quote, I think when people claim someone is being racist or being sexist, they really mean someone is being an arsehole.
I would disagree with that.

If I am randomly prejudiced against blonde people, I might be an asshole, but I'm not going to get attacked for being "haircolorist", because generally, there is no system called haircolorism with any power behind it, it's just me being an asshole.

The very reason why sexism, racism, religious bigotry, classism, homophobia, and similar issues are considered "social justice" issues, and spoken of as great evils, is that they are not invented by individual assholes, but examples of deep-seated historical injustices and oppressions.

If anyone would try to reverse them, and be a "heterophobe" or a "misandrist", or a "black supremacist", that might be an asshole, but it's JUST an asshole, and not really an example of a similar trend.

The whole "prejudice + power" thing is not just semantic, but an attempt to match the term with it's intuitive usage that is about social injustice, not random asshole behavior.

Knight Captain Kerr said:
I've heard that comment in relation to racism, that white people can't suffer from racism which was also wrong. Of course that comment also assumes that white people are one uniform group which hold power everywhere and don't discriminate against other white people based on ethnicity.
It's not that white people don't suffer from racism, but that white people suffer from, is racism against black people.

As it was already mentioned this thread, Anita followed up the first tweet directly with describing the ways in which men suffer from the patriarchal culture. The point is that there is only one culture, and that is patriarchal, even if harm to men can be it's consequence.

Balimaar

The Bass Fish
Sep 26, 2010
One of my mates was on a short domestic flight and the way the tickets/seating worked out he was placed next to an unaccompanied child.

My mate (male btw) was forced to move from his seat coz rules on that airline apparently say men cant be seated next to unacommpanied children.

Perfectly fine for women to be put next to said children tho.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Anita is is pretty out there when it comes to her beliefs vis-a-vis sexism in American culture. I don't know why anyone would be surprised by that tweet. I realized this when I saw some of her pre-kickstarter videos, where she said "Baby, It's Cold Outside" was about date rape, totally disregarding the context of the song and clearly showing that she was reading in her own personal biases into the song when her conclusions were not at all supported by the text itself. I find this to be a common theme with all her work.

Some people seem very threatened by her though, which might be why this "gotcha" was posted. I have a feeling if some people weren't so threatened by her she would never have had a fraction of the exposure she ended up with, as the quality of her work is just subpar, in my opinion of course.

To be clear, because some people seem to equate criticism of Anita to sexist beliefs, just because I think her work is subpar does not mean I don't think there are not some issues with gender representation in video games.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
insaninater said:
Oh look, Anita said something stupid and wrong again. Who cares?
Again? Naw, this is the same one. I swear this twitter post has spawned 3 different threads so far. I actually remember counting the characters in there last time this came up.

It's almost like some people just can't stop talking about her. Picking over everything and rehashing old grievances whenever they need their fix. Obsession like that is unhealthy.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
LostGryphon said:
I am, however, leery of her lack of...I don't know...using a simple "(1/2)" or something similar at the end of her tweet, then continuing/expounding upon the thought in a second one.

Or, eliminating extraneous words, like "that's because," and replacing them with relevant terms like "institutionalized" to properly convey the idea the first time around.
I'm pretty sure, that the point is exactly that seism *is* institutionalized, by the virtue of being a social system.

Basically, she is providing a definition that her earlier usages of the word "sexism" referred to the overall patriarchal system that might hurt either men or women, but primarily exists as power for men.

The latter posts might have added details to this, but even the first made it clear that she is providing some dort of definition, which is really not a matter of debate.

Like the post right above you said:

You are basically saying "what she is saying is wrong and offensive based on my definition of the word she used, even though she just stated that she is using a different definition of the word and in no way stated she would agree with her statement while using the same definition I chose to use in place of her's."

Yeah, no. It doesn't work like that. When someone clearly states that they are using a specific definition of a specific word, you can't simply attack her argument based on a different definition of the same word. If I said "people suffering from depression cannot be happy, because happiness is a prolonged period of contentment with your life overall, whereas depression is a prolonged period of discontentment with your life overall." You cannot then go on to argue that I stated it is impossible for depressed people to experience even brief periods of contentment simply because you choose to equate contentment with happiness.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Balimaar said:
One of my mates was on a short domestic flight and the way the tickets/seating worked out he was placed next to an unaccompanied child.

My mate (male btw) was forced to move from his seat coz rules on that airline apparently say men cant be seated next to unacommpanied children.

Perfectly fine for women to be put next to said children tho.
Yeah, that's a good example of men being hurt by patriarchal stereotypes, just like Anita mentioned in her tweets.

The issue is whether we should call this "sexism against men", or there is only one overall sexism, that is aimed against the less empowered gender, and this is just a consequence of that.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
SOCIALCONSTRUCT said:
First half true, second half not in my experience.

Anita is wrong. Simply put. And many feminists would agree with me. Patriarchal values damage men and women by restricting what roles each should fill, shunting those who dont want to into an acceptable target for shame and mockery. Id say the damage to men is sometimes a result of the damage to women (IE its embarassing to wear make up as a man because its woman-like but trousers are A ok because they are manly) but the "men are poor child carers" one is entirely based on the idea that the child carer role isnt for men and thus they are inherently worse at it.

I feel the need as a rational feminist to post in all these frankly irritating threads. Simply to remind people that I exist.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
I always love Anita's tweets about Men's privilege and power, because according to her logic that rambling homeless man on the street with no money, shelter, healthcare or safety-net of any kind is somehow in a better spot then a regular women who may have all the basic necessities and luxuries of life from the moment she was born (you know, like Anita herself). But no, he's very powerful, you just don't understand! At night he goes to his secret sewer penthouse and talks through video skype with other male politicians about how they rule the world.

Queen Michael said:
She's wrong. According to the Merriam-Webster, sexism is "unfair treatment of people because of their sex." At no point does it say it has to include power. I'm a feminist, but I'm a feminist who knows how to look things up in a dictionary.
"We don't have the power, so we can hate anyone we want" is basically how people (using the banner of morality) justify prejudice without having to admit they're horrible people. Having a generally negative attitude against someone you don't know just because of what's between their legs is being a sexist, and the hilarious thing is it's being displayed right there in Anita's tweet. The lack of self awareness is outright astounding.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
BiscuitTrouser said:
SOCIALCONSTRUCT said:

Anita is wrong. Simply put. And many feminists would agree with me. Patriarchal values damage men and women by restricting what roles each should fill, shunting those who dont want to into an acceptable target for shame and mockery.
Any feminist would agree with you about Anita being wrong? That's so true that even Anita agreed with you, right in the next tweet.

"The system of Patriarchy privileges men as a social group, however a byproduct of that system is that men and men's humanity is also harmed." https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/533446372574625793'

The first one hasn't said anything about whether men are "harmed by sexism", it was about a distinction between that claim, and society being "sexist againt men".

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Entitled said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
SOCIALCONSTRUCT said:

Anita is wrong. Simply put. And many feminists would agree with me. Patriarchal values damage men and women by restricting what roles each should fill, shunting those who dont want to into an acceptable target for shame and mockery.
Any feminist would agree with you about Anita being wrong? That's so true that even Anita agreed with you, right in the next tweet.

"The system of Patriarchy privileges men as a social group, however a byproduct of that system is that men and men's humanity is also harmed." https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/533446372574625793'

The first one hasn't said anything about whether men are "harmed by sexism", it was about a distinction between that claim, and society being "sexist againt men".
Many is a different word than any. Some people would definitely disagree with me and anita.

Although that second tweet did clarify somewhat.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
RaikuFA said:
I thought after she blamed that school shooting on men everyone declared her batshit insane and decided to stop talking about her.

Guess not.
Indeed, she blamed it on "toxic masculinity", not men.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Entitled said:
I've heard that comment in relation to racism, that white people can't suffer from racism which was also wrong. Of course that comment also assumes that white people are one uniform group which hold power everywhere and don't discriminate against other white people based on ethnicity.
It's not that white people don't suffer from racism, but that white people suffer from, is racism against black people.

As it was already mentioned this thread, Anita followed up the first tweet directly with describing the ways in which men suffer from the patriarchal culture. The point is that there is only one culture, and that is patriarchal, even if harm to men can be it's consequence.
There are white Eastern European people in Ireland who would question your belief that they don't suffer from racism. Likewise, Irish people in 19th Century America would question the idea that they didn't suffer from racism. And it's not just white people, Japanese and Chinese people haven't always gotten along that well. The Hutus and Tutsis, both black, murdered each other on massive scales they hated each other that much. So saying black people can't be racist or white people can't suffer from it is just wrong. You might say that's ethnicity and not race but really they aren't that different. Race isn't a biological thing either. The idea of race is socially created, it's a way to create an 'us' and an 'other', it's something I wish we could move past at this stage. Unfortunately we don't which is why racism exists, which is a shame.

Now I understand what she's saying but I disagree with her. I'd define sexism as discrimination based on sex, it impacts men and women. Sexism as an institution also impacts men and women, men get certain benefits and disadvantages in society as do women. You could say overall men tend to be in a better position and yeah you'd be right, they are. But just because women have it worse than men doesn't mean the problems men suffer from aren't real. To say men can't suffer from sexism comes across as dismissive of the problems men face. Both are bad, both should be dealt with. Just because what women face is worse doesn't mean what men face isn't bad.

The idea also involves a grand narrative view of the world which you see in theories like Feminism and Marxism and while those theories do have valid points I question trying to make everything conform to one grand theory even when it might not be entirely applicable. It's also somewhat dismissive of human freewill, that individual actors aren't that important just the social structures they're part of despite the fact that said structures are made up of those very individuals.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
There are white Eastern European people in Ireland who would question your belief that they don't suffer from racism. Likewise, Irish people in 19th Century America would question the idea that they didn't suffer from racism. And it's not just white people, Japanese and Chinese people haven't always gotten along that well.
But in those contexts, the prejudice + power formula still applies.

OK, you got me, the "white people suffering from racism is a result of racism against blacks" statement is only true in a U.S.A. context, but the principle itself can be applied to many different societies.

For gender roles, there aren't any alternative non-patriarchal societies to talk about. If there would be a continent where women expressing political, economical, and cultural power over men has a thousand year tradition, then in that context, we could say that men are sexist against women.

What hardships men suffer, (more military casualties, more homelessness, etc.), are just as true in Iran as in Sweden, and in Ancient Rome as in Victorian England. They are not examples of some quirky reverse sexism, but fit tightly into different degrees and severities of a general attitude that could be described as a "patriarchy", and which Anita seems to equivocate with "sexism" in her own terminology here.

And the ones that DON'T fit into it, or go against it, for example saying that "men shouldn't be allowed to vote" are about as irrelevant on a social level as saying that "coffee drinkers shouldn't be allowed to vote". It might be a wrong thing, but so unrelated to real injustice that it's not really part of any meaningful "-ism".

Now I understand what she's saying but I disagree with her. I'd define sexism as discrimination based on sex, it impacts men and women. Sexism as an institution also impacts men and women, men get certain benefits and disadvantages in society as do women. You could say overall men tend to be in a better position and yeah you'd be right, they are. But just because women have it worse than men doesn't mean the problems men suffer from aren't real. To say men can't suffer from sexism comes across as dismissive of the problems men face. Both are bad, both should be dealt with. Just because what women face is worse doesn't mean what men face isn't bad.
Even when sexism is not "institutional", it's still "social" enough that we treat all discussions of it as a matter of "social justice".

For those who care about the evils of social injustice, looking for an equivalence between individual hardships regardless of context, can come off as denying that such injustice itself exists too.

Not hiring someone because you don't like his eye colors, and not hiring someone because he is gay, are equally shitty personal level, but to simply say that "both are problems" can feel like denying the special problem of the latter.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Entitled said:
I'm pretty sure, that the point is exactly that seism *is* institutionalized, by the virtue of being a social system.

Basically, she is providing a definition that her earlier usages of the word "sexism" referred to the overall patriarchal system that might hurt either men or women, but primarily exists as power for men.

The latter posts might have added details to this, but even the first made it clear that she is providing some dort of definition, which is really not a matter of debate.
Er. Except that isn't what she said in the initial tweet, nor is it the point that comes across in any sense, which was the problem that I was referencing and attempted to correct to some extent.

Sexism is the general term. Institutionalized sexism is a subset. The italicized bit distinguishes the two from one another. Simple. Easy. Efficient. Not done here for some reason.

You can't just apply your own meaning to a word then assume anyone reading it can or will fill in whatever qualifying term or subtext you had in mind, especially when dealing with terminology that already has an agreed upon definition, ie. dictionaries.

And she is not 'providing some sort of definition.' She's adding qualifications to an established word/concept in an effort to distort its meaning.

I did see that post you quoted too...and I disagree? It isn't my definition for the term. It's the definition.

"Sexism or gender discrimination is prejudice or discrimination based on a person's sex or gender."

The above is the definition anyone reading it, with a certain level of literacy, is working from.

Edit: Snipped the picture. Came off more mean-spirited than I meant it to. :/

[small]Aside: This is...troubling, but when did all these online dictionaries add on this "especially against women" bit to the definition of sexism? It had to have happened in the last 5 years or so, because I sincerely don't remember it from previous arguments on the interwebs...but I may just be going crazy.

Regardless, the "updated" definitions do not exclude men.[/small]