Announcing The Escapist Reader's Choice Game of the Year 2013 Bracket

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Teoes said:
"You can choose from these 16 games that you guys have been talking about the most.."

If half the choices are pretentious ones like Flower and Journey, then it sounds like we've only ourselves to blame for talking about them them most. Why so negative?
Mainly 'cos I think those games are utter crap and are stretching the definition of "game" so much that it has stretch marks but that is just me being salty.

Plus how do you define "talking about the most", we did a lot of talking about games for how bad they were.

saxman234

Nov 23, 2011
Winner: Dark Souls

But seriously that is still my most played game this year, probably for the 3rd year in a row.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I would go with Persona 4 Arena, that game is a masterpiece from a gameplay perspective and it got a really cool artstyle with excellent music. Didn't get much better this year, though i suspect that Armored Core Verdict Day may be a strong contender, unfortunately i haven't played it yet. But aside from those it has been a weak year for me, mostly dissapointments but i do have a bit of faith in Metal Gear Rising, Killer is Dead and Soul Calibur V, but i don't expect them to be topof the line.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Greg Tito said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
One has to wonder how many casualties there will be when the dust settles. These things never end well, especially when GTAV wins because it is the most popular on the internet, and you don't need to be an Escapist member to vote...
Sorry, I neglected to mention, you will in fact need to be an Escapist member to vote. The brackets will be tied to your account, and voting will be too. Of course, I hope something like this DOES bring in outsiders and not just the Escapist community as it is right now so your point stands. Still, I think the discussion will be a good one.

Greg
I am really happy to hear that! That will prevent a lot of people from joining up just to vote and then never coming back like that... Other event we had...

I look forward to this one, it's going to be cool :D

SillySam said:
"We've picked the 15 games you guys have been talking about the most and put them on the bracket."

So it's probably impossible to see Call of Juarez Gunslinger on there :<
Most fun I've had in a shooter in recent memory
That reminds me, I played it for a few hours then something shiny distracted me. As far as shooters go though, I found it real fun, especially how the story is told so far.

Fiairflair

Polymath
Oct 16, 2012
This idea is fantastic. Kudos, Escapist.

Bioshock Infinite is my tip for winner, but it would be a hard contest against GTA 5 and The Last of Us.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I think Bioshock Infinite is the only AAA I liked this year (and I didn't like it for the gameplay).
Hopefully some indie/smaller titles are listed!

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Gah, of the games that came out this year that I played, none of them really scream 'Game of the Year' to me.

Pokemon Y - Very slow to start, end game content almost non existent, new Pokemon don't really feel like a major part of the world (probably because in most areas old Pokemon dominate the land), the new Fairy type just comes off as a way to try to interest girls.

Saints Row IV - Large parts of the game are made useless/super easy thanks to the super powers, the Zin are boring enemies.

BioShock: Infinite - Very overhyped. Story kinda eh.

Diablo III (360 edition) - Aside from the goatmen section, it's piss easy throughout.

I think that may be all I played. :/

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I'm not sure which one I want to win. Nothing has really wowed me this year, unlike last year where it was hard to choose. I would say maybe I'm just forgetting the game that wowed me...but then what kind of games wows you and then you promptly forget about it?

sky14kemea said:
Mr.Tea said:
...So it's basically March Mayhem: GOTY Edition.

Without as much mayhem I hope?

Hahahahaha! Yeah right.
*sobs openly*

Hooray for March Christmas Mayhem....?

I'm kidding of course! I'm looking forward to it! Haha! Hahaha...

I am interested to see who'll win though, my bets are on GTA V.
So I take it this contest is punishment for the mods screwing up somehow? :p

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Ahhhh another year and another set of GOTY games that I wont have played. Hopefully pokemon makes it on so I'll at least have one game in the running I've played.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Greg Tito said:
One has to wonder how many casualties there will be when the dust settles. These things never end well, especially when GTAV wins because it is the most popular on the internet, and you don't need to be an Escapist member to vote...
Sorry, I neglected to mention, you will in fact need to be an Escapist member to vote. The brackets will be tied to your account, and voting will be too. Of course, I hope something like this DOES bring in outsiders and not just the Escapist community as it is right now so your point stands. Still, I think the discussion will be a good one.

Greg
Aww..that's too bad. Oh well, guess there are always other (free) brackets I could vote one.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Man, I love this whole voting thing, but I just know that none of my favorite games of this year will even make the bracket. I weep for you, SMT IV, you will always be in my heart. pokemon might reach top five, but I wouldn't hold my breath
But yeah, I'm guessing Last of us is going to win. followed by GTA, and maybe Bioshock

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
Can someone explain this toe me? Was there a whole heap of arguments over the GOTY? Sorry, I only really joined here late last December.

WhitbyDragon

Jul 15, 2013
I'm in the pub club (that makes me sound like a drunk I just realised), and really confused how this works? Can someone translate what I'm supposed to be doing into idiot please? I mostly pay for the lack of adds, never really worked out what else goes on!

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
OurGloriousLeader said:
I hope Last Light beats Infinite and TLOU - for a linear atmospheric experience, it was better I think.
I'd second this, that game had so much atmosphere you could probably use it to turn Mars into a habitable planet.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
March Mayhem was a little thing held each March and people voted for who their favorite developers were, some people took it WAY too seriously.

There was the time Zynga reached the semi-finals because they had Facebook users make accounts to vote and most of these new accounts trolled everyone on the forums before being banned.

Either way, they didn't hold it this year for several reasons (the most prominent being the Expo, which had most of the staff occupied)

Hopefully this contest, which is a GotY contest won't be too bad, but I am not holding my breath, I remember Mass Effect 3 being named GotY last year, was not pretty, especially after the ending fiasco.
Ah ok, that makes sense, thanks for filling me in! Good to see you can only vote for it by being a member this time then.