Announcing the Extra Credits Innovation Awards at LOGIN 2011

Kelly Helder

Apr 19, 2010
Announcing the Extra Credits Innovation Awards at LOGIN 2011

Videogame Contest Now Open for Professionals, Hobbyists and Students

The Escapist and Extra Credits have teamed up with Evergreen Events, the host of the 2011 LOGIN Conference [http://www.loginconference.com], to produce the first-ever "Extra Credits Innovation Awards" that celebrate developers' most daring and creative additions to the industry. Submissions are open between now and April 20, and the awards ceremony will take place at 6 PM on the night of May 17 in the Theatre at Bellevue's Meydenbauer Convention Center in Seattle, WA.

The awards will celebrate the risks developers take to help progress the industry's evolution and create games and technologies of the highest level of polish and refinement. Winners will demonstrate advancement in the following categories:

Innovation in Game Design
Innovation in Narrative Delivery
Most Unbelievably Awesomely Fun
Genre Buster Award
Positive Impact Innovator
LOGIN Special Award for Innovation in Multiplayer

The Escapist will be accepting videogame submissions from any and all game developers, from major studios to school projects. Finalists will be announced May 2, and at least one representative must be present at the LOGIN festivities to demonstrate their game on May 17.

LOGIN has also created a special $50 pass [http://www.2011.loginconference.com/register.php] for Extra Credits fans to take part in the Extra Credits Room, which is happening all day on May 17. During the day, LOGIN's Extra Credits pass will grant access to many exciting panels, ranging from a discussion about the future of consoles to famous designers sharing the games they've always wanted to make, but haven't yet had the chance.

For more information on The Escapist Presents The Extra Credits Awards & The Extra Credits Room please visit: www.escapistmagazine.com/login2011 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/login2011].

To learn more about LOGIN 2011, click here. [http://www.loginconference.com]

We hope to see you there!

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
I'll be the first to give them a pat on the back.
This is great to hear. It's about time innovation gets some proper celebration!

I hope the event goes well, and draws the attention of the big companies as well :)

ffian1

Mar 10, 2010
darthotaku said:
Personally, I predict that minecraft will be a favourite in many categories
I was thinking along the same lines. It's a good question to think about though, what really will be the next major innovation in gaming.

Saying that, dreams are made and ruined in the pursuit of similar goals.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
And so, indie people outside the United States are automatically disqualified unless they are able to get a plane trip to the event... Sad, really. :(

Well, good luck to the others, I guess.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Great job guys. Pretty please with sugar on top can you provide a link to the transcripts of your topics? That way I can read them in peace because it sort of looks like work and I won't draw either wife or boss aggro.

Russano_Greenstripe

Apr 10, 2011
Question: Can I nominate a game that I did not create?

For instance, I want to enter the flash game Closure for the Innovation in Narrative Delivery award. I did not develop nor distribute the game; I'm not connected to it in any shape beyond having played it. Do I have the authority to put them in the running?

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
I think there should be an extra "consolation" category for someone who took a gigantic risk and failed. The point is to encourage people to break out of the mold, right?

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
MasochisticMuse said:
I think there should be an extra "consolation" category for someone who took a gigantic risk and failed. The point is to encourage people to break out of the mold, right?
I feel illustrating examples of the mold actually being broken work far better than simply applauding the effort.

Not that I don't think is great to encourage someone to keep trying in the face of failure, but to award them for simply trying seems to step outside of the bounds of any definition of an award.

Extracredits

Jul 29, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
This is a bit unfair for anyone who doesn't live in America.
It's a bit unfair for anyone who doesn't live in Seattle, but we need people to actually be able to demo their games to the industry people at the conference as hopefully a great deal of good will come from that.
(This requirement is pretty much standard for all VG awards, but we'd actually drop it if it wasn't for the fact that real benefit will come from having teams in the mix at the conference)

Extracredits

Jul 29, 2010
Russano_Greenstripe said:
Question: Can I nominate a game that I did not create?

For instance, I want to enter the flash game Closure for the Innovation in Narrative Delivery award. I did not develop nor distribute the game; I'm not connected to it in any shape beyond having played it. Do I have the authority to put them in the running?
No...but you can contact the creator and tell then to submit. You'd be surprised at how many indie companies will be very receptive to that kind of email.

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
If I can make one request: Please do not reward Mojang or Valve or any other large very successful or well known creator. It's not that they don't deserve it, but rewarding them would only reinforce the opinions people already have.

I think the problem with too many award shows is that they only heap advertising and praise on the things that have proven they don't need it.

The best thing you can do with an award set like this (which is a good idea) is to bring exposure to things that are in danger of slipping the radar.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Extracredits said:
ChupathingyX said:
This is a bit unfair for anyone who doesn't live in America.
It's a bit unfair for anyone who doesn't live in Seattle, but we need people to actually be able to demo their games to the industry people at the conference as hopefully a great deal of good will come from that.
(This requirement is pretty much standard for all VG awards, but we'd actually drop it if it wasn't for the fact that real benefit will come from having teams in the mix at the conference)
Hey, you all are putting your money where your collective mouth is. And, in the end, you're a bit limited by the fact that it is your mouth (and money). I don't consider any of that unfair--not everything that is unequal is unfair.

You all have cultivated quite a following by displaying and discussing your beliefs on how to move the industry forward, and now you're using that advantageous position to reward the people you feel most exemplify that.

So it isn't as open to international or out-of-region folks, so what? To think the only way to gain something from an event like this is to win shows a clear lack of understanding: you might not be elligble to win, but you're sure as hell elligible to learn from the winners. The path is being lit for everyone, and the winner is just the torch. You can either follow the path, or lament not being the first to walk it, but you can't do both.

What this event could do is spur similar events in other regions, if your event demonstrates the promise a lot of us think it might.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
I love awards shows like this. It seems so fitting that Extra Credits would be encouraging depth in design in a more tangible way since they talk about it every week here on the Escapist. I hope we see some great things from this in years to come.