Annoying stereotypes about my sexuality.

OctoH

Feb 14, 2011
LogicArmour said:
On a related note (this time for everyone), Pansexuality is not bisexuality. Stop saying it is. When it gets to the point where I lie about my sexuality for the sake of simplicity, something has gone very wrong.

For those unaware as to what pansexuality is here's a wikipedia article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pansexuality

The more you know people,
David (Pansexual)

P.s. I'm actually in quite a good mood at the moment, just thought I'd give a PSA :)

So, ranting aside, does anyone else have this problem?
Actually, I identify as pansexual as well, and yes I do encounter this problem. On a side note, have you heard of the band called The PanSexuals? They are pretty under the radar, but I saw them live and they put on a pretty good show.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-PanSexuals/141313929278133

Emperor Nat

Jun 15, 2011
AngloDoom said:
Nokshor said:
AngloDoom said:
tobyornottoby said:
AngloDoom said:
What makes you believe this is true for all people?
-SNIP-
I am sexually attracted to women, but not men.

I therefore fit into the box marked "Heterosexual".

I have a defined sexuality.

Now I accept this may not be true of everyone, but you said that it isn't true of anyone. Don't assume that everyone has a defined sexuality, don't assume that nobody does. :/
My point is, though, what if you did find a man you were sexually attractive to? If it was a feminine guy you got on well with, had similar interests in you, and is openly gay and admits he is sexually attracted to you then who is to say you wouldn't be curious enough to try?

I myself would have said exactly the same as you a few years back, but now I'm not so sure. I wouldn't define myself as bisexual because I don't actively seek out or often notice men who make me feel the same attraction as I do with women. That said, I have had sexual contact with a guy a few times and enjoyed it and the above guy was as my description above. Obviously, it's hard to see outside my own eyes so forgive me if I'm simply projecting my own subjective viewpoint onto others, but I've seen this sort of thing happen to a lot of men and women who defined themselves as 'heterosexual', and then suddenly the next day they are 'bisexual'.
If we don't know the cause of sexuality for definite, how can we be sure it exists the way as we know it now? I'm not saying everyone is 50/50, but I wonder how much of a barrier sex and gender is nowadays in lieu of all the acceptance of homosexual, bisexual, lesbian, and transsexual relationships. Again, just my own ponderings, I'd love to see a study or such into this sort of thing with conclusive evidence.
I assume you meant "what if you did find a man you were sexually attract-ed- to". If I found a man who thought I was attractive, I'd say "No thanks mate" and continue along my merry way.

However I will not find a man I am sexually attracted to. This is for one reason and one reason only. I am heterosexual in the purest sense - I find the bodies of women attractive. I do not find the bodies of men attractive.
Even if he is a lovely guy with all the same interests as me. Even if he is frilly and feminine to the nth degree. I don't have any romantic or physical attraction to men and would never willingly and knowingly sleep with a man. I am not curious. :/

Again I don't deny that some people may wish to experiment or have the whole 'one exception' thing, but there are some people in this world who simply don't find their own gender to be appealing sexually, emotionally or aesthetically.
There is a spectrum of sexuality, yes. But some people are just at one end of it. :)

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Can't say I know, I'm Bisexual, but not publicly. Outside the internet I mean.

Pansexuality (As I read it on wikipedia) encompasses Bisexuality.
Think sort of tiers of who you're attracted to
Homosexual, heterosexual - tier 1 (Fewest number of available partners)
Bisexual - tier 2 (Larger number of available partners)
Pansexuality - tier 3 (The largest number of available partners)

That's how it works right? Bisexuals can be attracted to someone a homosexual/heterosexual person may be attracted to, and a pansexual person may be attracted to someone a bisexual person is attracted to.

guise709

Feb 2, 2010
LOOK AT ME I WANT ATTENTION LOOK LOOK PLEASE RESPOND I NEED ATTENTION

seriousuly you will never convince everyone stop trying

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
guise709 said:
LOOK AT ME I WANT ATTENTION LOOK LOOK PLEASE RESPOND I NEED ATTENTION

seriousuly you will never convince everyone stop trying
Wot?

Could you elaborate?

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
I still don't get the difference between bisexuality and what was it pansexuality (my auto correct doesn't seem to think it is a word though)neither do I get how does it work. Fallowing is not me trying to be funny or anything I just don't get the concept of bi/pansexuality. How is it, do you constantly keep checking out the attractive persons of both sexes or does it depend on something, day/mood etc.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Dimitriov said:
Not really. Just because a bunch of people got together and invented a word for which there was no practical need, except apparently to make them feel special, doesn't make me wrong for saying it's unnecessary.

Exactly how could there be a bi-sexual person who didn't fit the definition of pansexual? They like males, they like females, they like sex... if they then decided they didn't like someone in between that's not really a matter of sexuality, just a personal preference on their partner's emotional characteristics.

Especially since the definition given to "pansexual" is illogical: it literally means "all-sexual." Does that include dogs, cows, telephone poles, jellyfish, and large cheese wheels? No? Then it isn't a logical term.
No. No one got together to feel special.

Pansexuality - Relating to, having, or open to sexual activity of many kinds.

Bisexuality - (in this context) sexually attracted by both men and women

See how those meanings are different? A bisexual might not find, say, a hermaphrodite attractive, or a transvestite attractive.

Pansexuality is very common, since very little people are starkly placed at one definite place on the Kinsey Scale.

Also, if you are going to get into the etymology of the word pansexual, you are really clutching at straws. There are plenty of words that don't necessarily make sense when directly translated. Hell, "bisexual" could be taken to mean that someone is a mix of two genders.

Pansexuality means "All sexualities" but a pansexual does not necessarily relate to all of them, they can just relate to many from a wide variety. Thus, you could consider a pansexual to also be heterosexual or homosexual, I guess. And like you said, a pansexual could also have traits of a necrophiliac or bestiality, but that is certainly not necessary.

The word doesn't make anyone feel special. It is a term of classification, like the word "fruit" or "metal". It is what we use to categorize things.

misterrosy

Jan 10, 2011
Okay... to me Pansexual seems like the same god damn thing as Bisexual. I am bi and they just sound too similar. I am guessing it is easy to confuse the two, I mean both can go after both sexes and do not mind them, wait... is that a pansexual or a bisexual? god damn I am just so confused! XD

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I've always assumed that pansexuality is the same as bisexuality except they don't care if the individual is transexual, androgynous or even intersexed. They're just sexually attracted to the 'personality' rather than the body, what organs they have or even really their physical appearance on a general level. (that is to say they don't really look for or care about anything either distinctly male or female about the person).

That said i always found the pansexual label to be an incredible misnomer. After all, how many transexual, truely androgynous, or intersexed people are you really going to meet in your lifetime? Does it really matter so much to the point you need an entirely separate classification for it? Also, what about straight people who have transexual partners? They aren't suddenly "pansexual" because they're okay with the fact their partner is transgendered since they see them as their desired gender.

Really, until we come across sexy blue alien chicks for which to have inter-species lovin' i just don't see the point of the pansexual classification. People who say "bisexuality is being attracted to men and women, pansexuality is being attracted to everyone" sound like they're putting far[/i] too much weight on gender identity when differentiating between pansexuality and bisexuality. It's almost implying that bisexuals are only attracted to people who are either distinctly male or distinctly female in equal measure. That, in a way, also implies that the majority of people still adhere to very typical gender stereotypes which is frankly a load of crap in 2011.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
LogicArmour said:
Dear Everybody (especially females),

On a related note (this time for everyone), Pansexuality is not bisexuality. Stop saying it is. When it gets to the point where I lie about my sexuality for the sake of simplicity, something has gone very wrong.
David (Pansexual)
I think, looking back at my time at college pansexual would have been the best description for myself, I didn't look at a man or a woman and thought, their a man/woman therefore I find them attractive, I found people attractive regardless of their gender or sexual preference.

I'm married now, I have a loving husband, but I always knew (and still appreciate) that the gender of the person I decided to spend the rest of my life with was irrelevant, I love who i love no matter what.

Amanda x

Mordereth

Jun 19, 2009
Sordak said:
stop whining about your sexuality oh youre so special cause of that for fucks sake get over it.

Stop beeing an Attention whore and probably nobody will expect you to act like that. If you wouldnt shove your sexuality in everyones face like you are just doing people wouldnt expect behaviours like that from you cause realy you cant read someones sexuality from their face (or their dong for that matter) if they act like any other person.

Im sorry but this is getting annoying, every day there is a new thread of some homosexual complaining how he is misstreated while shoving his sexuality into everyones face and guess what everyone of them will cite some sexuality they are part of besides just calling it the blatantly obvious.
Because from reading that Wikipedia site is that it is, as a "loveley poster" put it the pretentious mans Bisexual.

What is it with Homosexuality lateley? Since when does it turn you Black?
Just to clarify this statement: just for posting youre homosexual people will always go how they respect you and how they feel guilty about stuff.

Homosexuals like to say themsleves that Heterosexuals should accept them in their society but STILL there are a few, and im not saying all here, i say a few, a few such as the OP who think they must shove their sexuality into everyones face and awaite the praising comments.

i mean come on.
So saying "first" gets you a ban and this isn't even warranting a probation?

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
LogicArmour said:
Dear Everybody (especially females),

Sex in the City and other similar, shitty TV show are not an accurate portrayal of how the average LGBT man acts. Just because I appreciate dick doesn't mean my tastes or behaviour will be any less masculine than a straight guy. Please get this through your skulls, it's starting to get on my tits.

For those unaware as to what pansexuality is here's a wikipedia article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pansexuality

David (Pansexual)

P.s. I'm actually in quite a good mood at the moment, just thought I'd give a PSA :)

Thanks for the education. No seriously i love knowing about these things, the more you understand people the better life will be for you, and its good to know how people want to identify with themselves so you can avoid accidental offence. Just to clarify the wiki article was a tad vague. Pansexual seemed to mean

Bisexual people who are not shallow AT ALL- ie care literally 0% about physical features..

or

People who may appear bisexual because the two genders are the main ones to choose from but can literally find emotional comfort in anyone regardless of any biological/social identities.

Which one is more accurate?

OriginalLadders

Sep 29, 2011
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Well, I'm assuming, like me, you're heterosexual, so to us there doesn't seem a big difference, but I've noticed a lot of people who aren't take gender, sex and sexuality very seriously and see it as a much wider spectrum. As far as (I'm making huge assumption so apologies) you or I are concerned, there's only really 4 ...classes is as good a word as any: gay, lesbian, hetero male and female; non-hetero people tend to view sexuality as less black and white. Just an observation.
Nope, Bi.

Vault Citizen said:
When I first heard of pansexuality I was the same. However my mind changed when I thought about gender and pansexuality is something that you really need to know more about sex and gender to truly get. In some ways pansexuality is primarily about how you as a person view gender.

Bisexaulity is limiting in the sense that it claims that there are only two genders. However there are many more gender labels than just man or woman. I am not just referring to people who are hermaphrodites but people who identify as third gender, gender queer or any number of other terms or labels that have a nuance that goes beyond the binary of male and female.

Pansexual is different from bisexual because not only is it the state that not only are you attracted to not just one gender but that gender doesn't matter to you. Not only that but being pansexual means that you do not see gender as a simple matter of man or woman but a range of different ideas, identities and beliefs.

It is about viewing gender identity almost like a spectrum rather than a binary.
The problem I have with that is it's getting into gender, which is more an issue of romantic attraction (personality). Sexuality is, as far as I'm concerned, only indicative of what you find physically attractive and the vast majority of people appear to be either identifiably male or identifiably female. Gender is a spectrum, by all means, but sex tends to be binary; a person may have traits that do not match what is considered typical for their sex, but they still tend to be distinguishable as either male or female.

Kaphiri

Nov 9, 2011
I see here two arguments concerning the linguistics of the words 'pansexual' and 'bisexual'. Some are arguing for the literal meaning of pansexual as being sexually attracted to all things while others are arguing for the literal meaning of bisexual being sexually attracted to two sexes. What I don't understand is how people can argue for one and against the other.

Ultimately what I think some people are doing is changing the meaning of 'bisexual' so that their new category makes sense. Personally, and I'm sure others will agree with me, I have always thought of a bisexual person as someone attracted to all genders (there are only two but for now I'll indulge you), and not the supposedly offensive 'two genders only' meaning that it has been given. The thought process here being; bisexuality is the same thing as the pansexuality so it is an unnecessary label as bisexually covers all ground, and not pansexuality is the same thing as bisexuality so its meaning is invalid. At least, I don't believe anyone here is suggesting that attraction towards an obscured gender is impossible.

Now to the gritty bit, as a biologist I have to take a biologists view on genders. Whether you are male or female in most mammals is determined by the presence of the Y chromosome. If you've got one you're male if you haven't you're female. This factor will normally determine your ability to produce fertile reproductive cells and this is key truth of biological science. I am fully aware that some people are born sterile but they still have a defining gender based on their chromosomes. I am also aware that some people are born with combinations or reduced versions of both male and female genitalia; understand that this is due to hormone imbalances in the developmental stage and has no effect on their biological gender as they can still only produce reproductive cells based on their chromosomes. These two situations can occur when some event causes some abnormality of the sex chromosomes causing XO, XXY, XYY, XXX and so on. Note that our 'if there's a Y its male' rule still applies.

Now there is a particular case where a person can be born with a mosaic of XY and XX cells, but this I would classify as an extremely rare exception to the rule.

Following this there can only be two genders, or some combination of both. Any third gender someone applies to them self is only a personal preference, no matter how much they believe in it. Sometimes people like to make an issue out of something that should not be an issue, frankly I think the OP should allow bisexuality the broad spectrum it implies and be less wound up on terminology.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
surg3n said:
Radelaide said:
I've always seen pansexuality and asexuality as a bit of a farce. But that's just me.
Nah, I'm of the same opinion, especially with Aesexuality, which in my eyes basically means someone with a low or non existant sex drive - people should only call themselves Aesexual when it's through choice.
I can understand why someone would research it and find out the correct term for their orientation, but I don't understand the need to broadcast it to the world.
See, I don't even think it's a correct term to use ever. I find it incredibly annoying that people with a low sex drive call themselves asexual like it's special. You're just not a sexual person, doesn't mean you're special.

Pansexuality is bisexuality. You're attracted to men and women and there's nothing else TO be attracted to in the spectrum of humans. Sure, you can be attracted to a donkey, but that's something else entirely.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
OriginalLadders said:
*LE GIANT SNIP TO SAVE SPACE*
The problem I have with that is it's getting into gender, which is more an issue of romantic attraction (personality). Sexuality is, as far as I'm concerned, only indicative of what you find physically attractive and the vast majority of people appear to be either identifiably male or identifiably female. Gender is a spectrum, by all means, but sex tends to be binary; a person may have traits that do not match what is considered typical for their sex, but they still tend to be distinguishable as either male or female.
Fair point. It would come down to a matter of definitions then.

Is homosexual/heterosexual/bisexual/pansexual a meaning for what we find PHYSICALLY attractive? Or does it mean our ability to have a romantic relationship with someone? For example, one may not be attracted to Steve the accountant, but can exist fine in a married type relationship, albit without sex.

Sexuality is confusing ):<

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Radelaide said:
surg3n said:
Radelaide said:
I've always seen pansexuality and asexuality as a bit of a farce. But that's just me.
Nah, I'm of the same opinion, especially with Aesexuality, which in my eyes basically means someone with a low or non existant sex drive - people should only call themselves Aesexual when it's through choice.
I can understand why someone would research it and find out the correct term for their orientation, but I don't understand the need to broadcast it to the world.
See, I don't even think it's a correct term to use ever. I find it incredibly annoying that people with a low sex drive call themselves asexual like it's special. You're just not a sexual person, doesn't mean you're special.

Pansexuality is bisexuality. You're attracted to men and women and there's nothing else TO be attracted to in the spectrum of humans. Sure, you can be attracted to a donkey, but that's something else entirely.
Transgender? Or does that fall into bisexuality aswell?