Annoying stereotypes about my sexuality.

OriginalLadders

Sep 29, 2011
lordgiza said:
Bisexuality has to do with liking both sexes. Pansexuality is about liking all sexes and races, body types etc..
Bisexuality makes no specification about race or body type (etc.) and as, from a biological perspective at least, there are only two sexes, I fail to see (by your definition) any difference at all between bi- and pansexuality.

jimClassic said:
I read the wiki post, and it seems like there's a thin line between a bisexual, and pansexual.
Bi obviously refers male and female, while I guess pan adds transexuals into the mix. So I guess in laymens terms a pansexual, would be a tri-sexual. I just made up that last word.
Okay, I can see where you're coming from there, but it really requires that transsexual people are classified as a third (or more) sex, which I'm sure most would find somewhat offensive.

thevillageidiot13

Sep 9, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
thevillageidiot13 said:
Sorry, say again?
Telling people they embrace the stereotype more than they should is kind of demeaning and either precludes choice, or condemns difference. Neither are particularly positive and both kind of reek of the "white man's burden."

That you are "refreshed" by the reminder doesn't reflect well, either.

But apology accepted.
Well, I suppose if somebody actually meets the stereotype naturally, then that's fine. But, personally, I've seen people come out of the closet and become *totally* different people. Not simply in terms of who they're attracted to, but also how they dress, speak, and behave.

Personally, I define "sexual orientation" as little more than a preference, and to see people *completely* redefine themselves as soon as they re-discover their orientation, it leads me to wonder how much of it is actually their own self-renaissance, and how much of it is them attempting to meet the standard that the media (and the rest of society) sets for them.

But, again, if a person is homosexual and actually behaves that way because that's simply how they naturally act (as opposed to because that's how they're expected to), then that's obviously not a big deal. Be who you are, and all that.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
GigaHz said:
Good luck trying to convince me that Pansexuality is more than just the occasional experimentation with transgendered people. I'd still lump that under homosexuality, as I believe those who seek out these types are more interested in the persons original gender rather than their new one. Otherwise, they'd look for naturally born men or women.
I wouldn't say that's entirely fair, in terms of straight people if you sleep with a transgender but you're unaware that they're a transgender (I know there's clues, hands, face etc but lets roll with it), then you've slept with them because you're attracted to them, not because you're interested in their original gender, because you wern't aware they've changed gender.

Further more, I'm straight and I'd sleep with a male to female TG if I found them attractive and got on with them, heck I prefer tomboys anyway, so in some cases I'd probs get on with a m2f like a house on fire, you'd get the male matey-ness with all the benefits of a female girlfriend. I usually have personality as a big factor in me fancying someone, and a m2f is for all intents and purposes a girl, if they have the personality of a guy what's there to complain about?

Lastly, that last statement just cancels itself out, if they want to have sex with a man, they would go sleep with a man and have gay sex, why would they go sleep with a m2f, as in practice it's straight sex, completely defeating the point of their desire to sleep with a man because the two are different sexual experiences.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
OriginalLadders said:
lordgiza said:
Bisexuality has to do with liking both sexes. Pansexuality is about liking all sexes and races, body types etc..
Bisexuality makes no specification about race or body type (etc.) and as, from a biological perspective at least, there are only two sexes, I fail to see (by your definition) any difference at all between bi- and pansexuality.

jimClassic said:
I read the wiki post, and it seems like there's a thin line between a bisexual, and pansexual.
Bi obviously refers male and female, while I guess pan adds transexuals into the mix. So I guess in laymens terms a pansexual, would be a tri-sexual. I just made up that last word.
Okay, I can see where you're coming from there, but it really requires that transsexual people are classified as a third (or more) sex, which I'm sure most would find somewhat offensive.
Forget biology for a second. I realise that makes me sound like a complete idiot, but hold with me.

1)Let's start with the basics. Most people are born as male or female, and most are happy with the sex they are assigned (cis-people).

2)Some people are born male or female, and aren't happy with that sex, and desire to be the other (normal) option (most trans-people).

Now, bisexuality is cool with both of those.

3)However, it's more complicated. Some people aren't born as male or female (think hermaphrodites), instead maybe having aspects of both, or neither.

4)Some people are born male or female, but don't want to be either. Maybe they don't like labelling themselves(I'm cismale, but I see where they are coming from, society has a nasty habit of deciding how people should live based on their sex), perhaps they don't feel they fit either definition. Since them believing this harms no-one else, and doesn't harm themselves (what harms them is society forcing them to conform to a certain gender) we should allow these people to choose their own definitions.

Like bisexuals, pansexuals are cool with 1) and 2), but pansexuals are also cool with 3) and 4). And that is the difference between bisexual and pansexual.

tobyornottoby

Jan 2, 2008
z121231211 said:
Sorry, say again? I wasn't implying that "different is bad." I was simply agreeing with the OP -- the mainstream media fails to accurately represent/portray the LGBT community. They're too-frequently depicted as ultra-flamboyant individuals who have absolutely no interest in anything "manly" (i.e.: contact sports and video-games), which isn't (in reality) the case at all.
They might be stereotyping, but it's also untrue to say there are no differences at all. On avarage, they do behave differently than their heterosexual counterparts (but as you say, you can never say that about individuals).

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
I appreciate you giving me the link thus learning about a new sexuality apart from the 4 main ones (heterosexual, bisexual, homosexual, and lesbian ...if lesbian counts.) but I must advise that your post comes off very hostile toward the readers.

Not mad or troubled, but it made me feel guilty without a 2nd thought. Perhaps it's just me but being called names for assuming something when not informed correctly gives off a bad impression. Anyhow, I still admire you teaching me about a new concept so thank you for that really, no sarcasm.
There are a BUNCH of them. Like demisexuality. (It's when you can't have sexual feelings towards anyone unless you're committed to them or something). Asexual, Aromantic, Pan-Aromantic, uh...what else...

Andothul

Feb 11, 2010
Ive dated and had a child with a "pan/omnisexual" and i can safely say that it is just a silly way of saying you're bi sexual as if being bi sexual is too mainstream.

When it comes to sex the human brain doesn't have the capacity to NOT think about gender. End of story

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
A lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender man

Wow, So your all of them!?!

You whining about being stereotyped, makes me want to and besides all stereotypes come from somewhere and seeing several gay pride parades and observing L/G behavior how am I not supposed to think that way. Masculinity is in the eye of the beholder so you cant make the rules on that and for me personally male on male fellatio is very very very low on the scale which I use by the definition
"possessing qualities or characteristics considered typical of or appropriate to a man"
and since I believe men typically are supposed to have sex with women you could understand this.

On another note, once I learned what transsexuals really were I refuse to accept them as another category just another misuse of science like liposuction or unnecessary plastic surgery. And Bisexual people, c'mon, you have to prefer one over the other. Id prefer to say gay man who sometimes indulges in straight sex in some situations or the reverse.

I also see no difference between pan and bi.

I wait to be quoted....though I probably wont check them because really these are my thoughts and could care less.

crunchpodx

Oct 19, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
I appreciate you giving me the link thus learning about a new sexuality apart from the 4 main ones (heterosexual, bisexual, homosexual, and lesbian ...if lesbian counts.) but I must advise that your post comes off very hostile toward the readers.

Not mad or troubled, but it made me feel guilty without a 2nd thought. Perhaps it's just me but being called names for assuming something when not informed correctly gives off a bad impression. Anyhow, I still admire you teaching me about a new concept so thank you for that really, no sarcasm.
Homosexuals and Lesbians. That's funny.

Shifty

Apr 21, 2011
Honestly who gives a shite.
Trans pan bi hetro tri or any other sexual are never going to invade a country, commit genocide, develop WMD's etc.
Certain people annoy me others dont, certain characteristics can annoy me (not sexual preferences)but that I am sure is more my fault than theirs.
What someone gets up to on their own time is their business once no one else is hurt.
Please people get over yourselves. Ye are talking in this thread like its the end of the world.. get a life and stop being so melodramatic.

Just as a by the way before anyone comments I am a heterosexual male. I tell you this now before other people label me wrongly if the comment on this.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Seriously though, there's only two sexes (yeah yeah there's people who are neither, but face it, they're rare exceptions) and I don't see why transgendered people should be left out of those two.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Joshimodo said:
Must've missed that biology class back in school. Now you mention it, I remember when I had to choose a kitten for a pet many years ago, and having to think whether I wanted a male, female, or .

People still rant about this kind of thing as if it's important. It's not. The people involved should only care about their thoughts on sexuality, not what every Joe Bloggs and his inbred family in the outback of nowhere think. That's why it always sounds like a cry for attention, and usually is.
And with specious reasoning like that, you could argue homosexuals don't exist. Good job.

And dismissing people as crying for attention because you think it shouldn't matter. That's...Lovely.
Wait, what? How is him saying there are only two genders got any connection to saying homosexuals don't exist?

With the 2 gender model:

Male can fancy Female and vice versa - Hetrosexual

(Fe)Male can fancy (Fe)Male - Homosexual

(Wo)Man can fancy both men and woman - Bisexual.

There are people with both genitals, which in most cases pick one at birth (or their parents do) in which case they become their chosen gender.

The only anomaly is shemales or hewomen(?) but they are still biologically either male or female as they're almost always transgenders.

I'm not really putting my opinion on genders here, I'm just saying that's what a binary gender model looks like.

Mischa87

Jun 28, 2011
I am absolutely befuddled at some of the posts on here, are any of you even reading beyond the first post before you reply? Plenty of people (including myself) Have already explained (often in detail) what these things mean. Are you people just reading the first post, or even just the title of the thread? (I'm looking at you people who just say it's a cry for attention, or they don't care)

Look back on my previous post, I delivered all the information the professional/medical community would of, namely because I deal with this sort of topic professionally, and have for over 5 years.

Read, it's how you learn... christ, kids these days.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
LogicArmour said:
Pansexuality is not bisexuality.
I have no way of knowing if it is or not, I assumed it was at least similar. Unless the pan- prefix applies to animals or something I don't know what the difference is. You really should explain the differences to make a more informative post; the point of this thread seems to be informational so I hope you don't mind me suggesting you edit your first post to tell us what those differences are.

OriginalLadders

Sep 29, 2011
orangeban said:
Forget biology for a second. I realise that makes me sound like a complete idiot, but hold with me.

1)Let's start with the basics. Most people are born as male or female, and most are happy with the sex they are assigned (cis-people).

2)Some people are born male or female, and aren't happy with that sex, and desire to be the other (normal) option (most trans-people).

3)However, it's more complicated. Some people aren't born as male or female (think hermaphrodites), instead maybe having aspects of both, or neither.

4)Some people are born male or female, but don't want to be either. Maybe they don't like labelling themselves(I'm cismale, but I see where they are coming from, society has a nasty habit of deciding how people should live based on their sex), perhaps they don't feel they fit either definition. Since them believing this harms no-one else, and doesn't harm themselves (what harms them is society forcing them to conform to a certain gender) we should allow these people to choose their own definitions.

Like bisexuals, pansexuals are cool with 1) and 2), but pansexuals are also cool with 3) and 4). And that is the difference between bisexual and pansexual.
I'm afraid I'm going to get kind of pedantic here, but please bear with me.

3) Even so, most such people tend to visually identifiable as either male or female, you may think "she looks pretty masculine" or "he looks really feminine", but the point is they still tend to end up on one side or the other. Though I am willing to concede that this may just be people's natural tendency to categorise everything.

4) This is an issue of gender, not sex, someone who considers themself a-gendered will still have a male or female body, and this is what sexuality is concerned with, the body. The point you have raised fits more into romantic predisposition; the kind of person you fall in love with. Perhaps the term panromantic bisexual would be more apprpriate.

As far as I'm concerned, if pansexual is to be considered different from bisexual, then the term demisexual must also be considered a separate category, which would give six categories of sexuality; heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, pansexual, asexual & demisexual.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
I totally feel where you're coming from. I'm asexual with libido, which means that while I don't find PEOPLE attractive, I CAN and DO get aroused, generally in conjunction with exposure to one of my paraphilias, like Vore or Hypnoeroticism. Since it's not the body I find attractive (if someone arouses me, they have a psychological quality I find attractive) I find myself attracted to both men and women, so it's basically easier to call myself bisexual than to explain, and then get called a liar for saying, that I'm asexual.

Personally, I feel alot out of the loop when someone just shows me a picture of this supposedly attractive person and asks me how hot he/she is. I can't asses from a picture if I, personally, find someone sexually attractive. ._.

jessegeek

Oct 31, 2011
Sordak said:
stop whining about your sexuality oh youre so special cause of that for fucks sake get over it.

Stop beeing an Attention whore and probably nobody will expect you to act like that. If you wouldnt shove your sexuality in everyones face like you are just doing people wouldnt expect behaviours like that from you cause realy you cant read someones sexuality from their face (or their dong for that matter) if they act like any other person.

Im sorry but this is getting annoying, every day there is a new thread of some homosexual complaining how he is misstreated while shoving his sexuality into everyones face and guess what everyone of them will cite some sexuality they are part of besides just calling it the blatantly obvious.
Because from reading that Wikipedia site is that it is, as a "loveley poster" put it the pretentious mans Bisexual.

What is it with Homosexuality lateley? Since when does it turn you Black?
Just to clarify this statement: just for posting youre homosexual people will always go how they respect you and how they feel guilty about stuff.

Homosexuals like to say themsleves that Heterosexuals should accept them in their society but STILL there are a few, and im not saying all here, i say a few, a few such as the OP who think they must shove their sexuality into everyones face and awaite the praising comments.

i mean come on.
Whoa, okay, for starters clarifying the difference between a stereotype and the reality of a group of people is not 'being an attention whore' it's raising awareness not just about the OP's life but also about the pansexual identity as a whole, and as you can see from the comments, most people didn't know what pansexuality was and have found the OP's link helpful.

Secondly, I really don't think mentioning something on a relevant thread on a forum which you can choose to read or not is 'shoving your sexuality in people's faces'. Forums are meant to be places of free discussion, so raising this issue in this arena is completely appropriate. Additionally, people tend to mention their relationship to minority issues on forums to avoid people criticising them for not knowing about the issue or asking why they raise it at all if it has no relevance to them.

'Since when does it turn you Black?' Seriously? Worldwide people in sexual orientation and gender identity minorities are discriminated against and murdered in the same way racial minorities are. Maybe the reason why there is a similarity in the Western world's current response to both issues is that, while obvious progress has been made with both issues, fundamental societal inequities still haven't been readdressed.

Also, asking people to accept a fundamental unchangeable and harmless quality about a person is very difference from 'awaiting praise', it's just asking for what all humans have the basic rights to.

The Ninjirate

Jun 14, 2008
Lesbians are homosexuals.
Heterosexuality is being attracted to the opposite sex. (man + woman)
Homosexuality is being attracted to the same sex. (man + man, woman + woman)
Bisexuality is being attracted to either/both. (man + man, man + woman, woman + man, woman + woman)
Pansexuality is being attracted to people, regardless of sex. (any + any)
If that last bit confuses you, there are people who are gender indiscriminate towards themselves. (They don't see themselves as men or women, or possibly have both/no genitalia)

I'm bi, myself. not entirely pan, because I like people who are sure of their gender.
If this whole topic was the best choice, I'm not sure. But sexuality should be something we can talk about like adults... because most of us are, or are at least mature enough to be here with the grown-ups.
So please, stop yelling and name-calling... leave that to the MW3 battlefield. (I plan to take part in it, there is no trolling on my part)

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
OriginalLadders said:
orangeban said:

I'm afraid I'm going to get kind of pedantic here, but please bear with me.

3) Even so, most such people tend to visually identifiable as either male or female, you may think "she looks pretty masculine" or "he looks really feminine", but the point is they still tend to end up on one side or the other. Though I am willing to concede that this may just be people's natural tendency to categorise everything.

4) This is an issue of gender, not sex, someone who considers themself a-gendered will still have a male or female body, and this is what sexuality is concerned with, the body. The point you have raised fits more into romantic predisposition; the kind of person you fall in love with. Perhaps the term panromantic bisexual would be more apprpriate.

As far as I'm concerned, if pansexual is to be considered different from bisexual, then the term demisexual must also be considered a separate category, which would give six categories of sexuality; heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, pansexual, asexual & demisexual.
3) Alright, but some people aren't that obvious

4) Fair point, though panromantic bisexuals is a bit of a mouthful.

And I don't see a problem with having demisexual added. Was that actually an argument against pansexuality or just a point?

I have to go, but before I'll do I'll lay down my thoughts. I don't like the term "bisexual" because I think it taps into the whole thing of society going, "You are this gender and you'll like it dammit!". Basically, I think we should split bisexuality into two groups. Strict bisexuals (attraction to people who identify and have the genitals of women and men) and pansexuals (attraction to people)