Annoying stereotypes about my sexuality.

OriginalLadders

Sep 29, 2011
orangeban said:
3) Alright, but some people aren't that obvious

4) Fair point, though panromantic bisexuals is a bit of a mouthful.

And I don't see a problem with having demisexual added. Was that actually an argument against pansexuality or just a point?

I have to go, but before I'll do I'll lay down my thoughts. I don't like the term "bisexual" because I think it taps into the whole thing of society going, "You are this gender and you'll like it dammit!". Basically, I think we should split bisexuality into two groups. Strict bisexuals (attraction to people who identify and have the genitals of women and men) and pansexuals (attraction to people)
3) I'll concede to that.

4) It can be a bit of a mouthful, depends how many people are involved...

I wasn't arguing against, just making a point; as far as demisexual goes most people see it as a laudable choice rather than an intrinsic orientation. When I first came across the time my reaction was pretty much "There's a word for that?!". I guess having so many categories can get confusing and seem pedantic, but it's not exactly as easy subject to deal with fairly. I think it;s just easier if any -sexual term is used to only refer to physical attraction, but then the most common combinations you'd get would be heteroromantic heterosexual, homoromantic homosexual and biromantic bisexual, which seems kind of redundant.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Dimitriov said:
I don't know, I've always thought it sounds like bisexuality with delusions of grandeur, reading the wiki did nothing to change that. But hey, whatever you want to call it is fine by me.
Saying that Pansexuality is a glorified bisexuality is wrong. Not wrong as in morally wrong, wrong as in erroneous. As in you are mistaken.

Pansexuality is simply a different categorization. It's definition differs from Bisexual.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Thespian said:
Dimitriov said:
I don't know, I've always thought it sounds like bisexuality with delusions of grandeur, reading the wiki did nothing to change that. But hey, whatever you want to call it is fine by me.
Saying that Pansexuality is a glorified bisexuality is wrong. Not wrong as in morally wrong, wrong as in erroneous. As in you are mistaken.

Pansexuality is simply a different categorization. It's definition differs from Bisexual.
Not really. Just because a bunch of people got together and invented a word for which there was no practical need, except apparently to make them feel special, doesn't make me wrong for saying it's unnecessary.

Exactly how could there be a bi-sexual person who didn't fit the definition of pansexual? They like males, they like females, they like sex... if they then decided they didn't like someone in between that's not really a matter of sexuality, just a personal preference on their partner's emotional characteristics.

Especially since the definition given to "pansexual" is illogical: it literally means "all-sexual." Does that include dogs, cows, telephone poles, jellyfish, and large cheese wheels? No? Then it isn't a logical term.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011

You see this? It's not actually a bicycle. It's actually a greedy and indecisive unicycle, or maybe a tricycle in denial.

[sup]I stole this from a post someone made a few days ago. I'd give him/her credit, but I forgot their name.[/sup]

Edit: this is in reference to stereotypes about my personal sexuality (bisexual), and is not a comment about the current bisexuality/pansexuality debate I just saw going on above me.
[sup]Don't eat me[/sup]

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
MrDeckard said:
Capt. Jack Harkness is identified on the Wiki page.

All pansexual people are now approved. (except by spell-check. Huh.)

Though I'm starting to think [i/][b/]I[/b][/i] might be in that category as well...
Hmm, let me try hyphenating the prefix, "pan": "pan-sexual." Yep, that does the trick, for Firefox, at least.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
ravensheart18 said:
Kopikatsu said:
Caramel Frappe said:
I appreciate you giving me the link thus learning about a new sexuality apart from the 4 main ones (heterosexual, bisexual, homosexual, and lesbian ...if lesbian counts.) but I must advise that your post comes off very hostile toward the readers.

Not mad or troubled, but it made me feel guilty without a 2nd thought. Perhaps it's just me but being called names for assuming something when not informed correctly gives off a bad impression. Anyhow, I still admire you teaching me about a new concept so thank you for that really, no sarcasm.
There are a BUNCH of them. Like demisexuality. (It's when you can't have sexual feelings towards anyone unless you're committed to them or something). Asexual, Aromantic, Pan-Aromantic, uh...what else...
Those aren't genders, they are sexual preferences.
Herreosexual, bisexual, and homosexual are also sexual preferences and not genders. So...I don't get your point.

Leviathan_

Jan 2, 2009
Grow thicker skin.

I think there are more pressing issues going on in the world right now than the misuse of terms regarding sexuality, for fucks sake people.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Well stereotypes are sort of inaccurate depictions of race, religion, ethnicity, culture, class, etc. that we use a reference to sort of categorize how we view certain individuals in our mind. It's not right, but we all have certain phobic and racial thoughts of other people, whethere we like or not.

For example, when people think of gay it most always means a feminine male homosexual. It may not be accurate, but that is the thought that pops into our heads in that instant. Others might interact with various gay individuals and just think of homosexual without any tie ins to mannerisms or gender.

So I would say to not let too much of it go to your head. There are plenty of reasonable people who get that individuals are just that: individuals. Whatever contents of their character that they posses is strictly their own and does not justify any form of general assumptions to any affiliated groups that person might associate with.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
Man, Escapist keeps eating my posts. Sorry again.
stop putting Tabasco on them.

OT: the worst one about bisexuality and pansexuality is that people think they don't exist.

Sordak said:
stop whining about your sexuality oh you're so special cause of that for fucks sake get over it.

Stop being an Attention whore and probably nobody will expect you to act like that. If you wouldn't shove your sexuality in everyone's face like you are just doing people wouldn't expect behaviours like that from you cause really you cant read someones sexuality from their face (or their dong for that matter) if they act like any other person.

I'm sorry but this is getting annoying, every day there is a new thread of some homosexual complaining how he is mistreated while shoving his sexuality into everyone's face and guess what everyone of them will cite some sexuality they are part of besides just calling it the blatantly obvious.
Because from reading that Wikipedia site is that it is, as a "lovely poster" put it the pretentious mans Bisexual.

What is it with Homosexuality lately? Since when does it turn you Black?
Just to clarify this statement: just for posting you're homosexual people will always go how they respect you and how they feel guilty about stuff.

Homosexuals like to say themselves that Heterosexuals should accept them in their society but STILL there are a few, and I'm not saying all here, i say a few, a few such as the OP who think they must shove their sexuality into everyone's face and await the praising comments.

i mean come on.
OP isn't whining, or saying he's special or being an attention whore or shoving his sexuality in everyone's faces. Have you ever met him? Do you think we have? Do you think he does this in a town centre.
And what's pretentious about being pansexual?
And who says it turns us black?
At least, that's what I assume you were saying...

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Connor Lonske said:
Harbinger_ said:
Pansexuality = Bisexuality in my books especially after dating someone who was for a long time.
Would a bisexual date a woman(gender and appearance speaking) who has a penis, or vice-versa?

No, because a bisexual is not attracted to the grey zone between male and female, he or she is attracted only to males and females, by both gender and sex being the same.

Saying that a bisexual person would date a transgender/genderqueer person would sound highly misinformed. It's like saying that asexual person would have sex with someone of the same gender as them because their attracted to themselves. It's really sad. But who does have attraction to people between genders?

That's where pansexuals come in. They can know of these people and don't care about their differences and accept them sexually as of anyone not with normal genders, maybe even are more attracted to such people in some cases.
Uh huh. Except for the fact that I dated a pansexual and I'm a straight male. I've seen straight people date transgendered people and I've seen gay people date transgendered people and none of them consider themselves to be pansexual so sorry but no.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Dimitriov said:
Thespian said:
Dimitriov said:

Not really. Just because a bunch of people got together and invented a word for which there was no practical need, except apparently to make them feel special, doesn't make me wrong for saying it's unnecessary.

Exactly how could there be a bi-sexual person who didn't fit the definition of pansexual? They like males, they like females, they like sex... if they then decided they didn't like someone in between that's not really a matter of sexuality, just a personal preference on their partner's emotional characteristics.

Especially since the definition given to "pansexual" is illogical: it literally means "all-sexual." Does that include dogs, cows, telephone poles, jellyfish, and large cheese wheels? No? Then it isn't a logical term.
Ah, where as "homosexual" (same-sexual) makes so much sense, homosexuals only like things that are exactly the same as them right? And "bisexual" (two-sexual) makes tons of sense, bisexuals love things that come in twos! Heterosexuals like things that are different, basically they're pansexuals, except they don't like to bone themselves since they'd be the same!

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
LogicArmour said:
Thank you Gentlemen. You have challenge my beliefs with well-structured and thoughtful argument (which was the point of this thread originally); and, while I may not agree with either of you, you have given me much food for thought.
What kind of food? I hope twizzlers. I want some twizzlers

Connor Lonske

Sep 30, 2008
Harbinger_ said:
Connor Lonske said:
Harbinger_ said:
Would a bisexual date a woman(gender and appearance speaking) who has a penis, or vice-versa?

No, because a bisexual is not attracted to the grey zone between male and female, he or she is attracted only to males and females, by both gender and sex being the same.

Saying that a bisexual person would date a transgender/genderqueer person would sound highly misinformed. It's like saying that asexual person would have sex with someone of the same gender as them because their attracted to themselves. It's really sad. But who does have attraction to people between genders?

That's where pansexuals come in. They can know of these people and don't care about their differences and accept them sexually as of anyone not with normal genders, maybe even are more attracted to such people in some cases.
Uh huh. Except for the fact that I dated a pansexual and I'm a straight male. I've seen straight people date transgendered people and I've seen gay people date transgendered people and none of them consider themselves to be pansexual so sorry but no.
Then they are Polysexual, which is where they can be attracted to people still inbetween genders but only leaning on one side of the gender spectrum, for example, a man attracked to traps is polysexual leaning on straight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polysexual

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
LogicArmour said:
Sex in the City and other similar, shitty TV show are not an accurate portrayal of how the average LGBT man acts.
You have a lot going on, if you are a lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender man ... wait, transgender, so woman?

To be honest "Pansexuality" is just semantics, is there any REAL difference? It is like all those shades of white, they are still just white ... your into both sexes so your bi. All this making up and splitting up groups of sexuality is plain annoying ... there are so many sub catagories of sexuality it's almost like metal music!

There are 3 options, straight, gay or both ... well unless you want to start getting into nasty stuff, like animals or something.

Stop caring about having the correct label or being called the correct thing and just do what you have to do.

Sparrowsabre7

Mar 12, 2008
OriginalLadders said:
I always try to be as open-minded and considerate of new ideas as possible, and whilst I can appreciate that not everyone who is male and likes a bit of penis will be a "flaming queen" (as amazing as that may seem to some people), I have to agree with Dimitriov; I just can't see how pansexuality is fundamentally any different from bisexuality.
Well, I'm assuming, like me, you're heterosexual, so to us there doesn't seem a big difference, but I've noticed a lot of people who aren't take gender, sex and sexuality very seriously and see it as a much wider spectrum. As far as (I'm making huge assumption so apologies) you or I are concerned, there's only really 4 ...classes is as good a word as any: gay, lesbian, hetero male and female; non-hetero people tend to view sexuality as less black and white. Just an observation.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Connor Lonske said:
Harbinger_ said:
Connor Lonske said:
Harbinger_ said:

Then they are Polysexual, which is where they can be attracted to people still inbetween genders but only leaning on one side of the gender spectrum, for example, a man attracked to traps is polysexual leaning on straight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polysexual
I can't explain how much I disagree with you. Also if you're trying to get a point across Wikipedia is not the best source to do so with.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Dimitriov said:
Harbinger_ said:
Pansexuality = Bisexuality in my books especially after dating someone who was for a long time.
OriginalLadders said:
I have to agree with Dimitriov; I just can't see how pansexuality is fundamentally any different from bisexuality.
When I first heard of pansexuality I was the same. However my mind changed when I thought about gender and pansexuality is something that you really need to know more about sex and gender to truly get. In some ways pansexuality is primarily about how you as a person view gender.

Bisexaulity is limiting in the sense that it claims that there are only two genders. However there are many more gender labels than just man or woman. I am not just referring to people who are hermaphrodites but people who identify as third gender, gender queer or any number of other terms or labels that have a nuance that goes beyond the binary of male and female.

Pansexual is different from bisexual because not only is it the state that not only are you attracted to not just one gender but that gender doesn't matter to you. Not only that but being pansexual means that you do not see gender as a simple matter of man or woman but a range of different ideas, identities and beliefs.

It is about viewing gender identity almost like a spectrum rather than a binary.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
People make assumptions about all kinds of sexuality not just the less conventional types. Being a heterosexual white working class male makes some people think I'm supposed to be a football loving beer swilling uncouth insensitive pig. I'm far from this (though I do love a cold beer) It's just part of life that some people are idiots who can only think in terms of television shows, if you meet someone like this they're not worth bothering with.