Anonymous Exacts Revenge for Megaupload Takedown

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
Hal10k said:
ChaplainOrion said:
What if the government DDOSed Anonymous? Would anyone else love to see that happen?
You wouldn't be able to do that unless you actually knew who the people behind the DDOS were, and in that case you could just have regular law enforcement deal with them.
Well we all know that Anon is has strong 4chan roots so I was imagining they'd DDOS that and play it off as another group pro-government.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
These are just attacks out of desperation nothing will happen because of them. These arent websites we visit everyday and them being taken down for a short amount of time will not in fact do any real damage.

Take down amazon.com then you know...people will freak out and be scared. Because if you take a site like this that makes $ out of being online and available then people will pay attention.

Taking the departement of justice down does what? Piss them off and makes them shut down another site. Who wins in that exchange ?

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
ChaplainOrion said:
Hal10k said:
ChaplainOrion said:
What if the government DDOSed Anonymous? Would anyone else love to see that happen?
You wouldn't be able to do that unless you actually knew who the people behind the DDOS were, and in that case you could just have regular law enforcement deal with them.
Well we all know that Anon is has strong 4chan roots so I was imagining they'd DDOS that and play it off as another group pro-government.
You would be taking all the people who spend all of their time in 4chan and forcing them to migrate to other parts of the internet.

Good lord, man, consider the consequences.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Its not enough. Im furious right now because I have because of circumstances of uploading massive amounts of my personal files I created to megaupload so I could reformat my PC and correspondingly being blocked from the web host for those files the day after I reformat the PC I now have tens of thousands of hours (In essence years) of my personal work and labor being held hostage because many of the items I stored for the purposes of reformatting do not have physical files (Such as incomplete drawings, Massive library of audio track recordings, animation studio proofs, etc) that are absolutely irreplaceable.

This reaction is STILL too small. This shit is beyond control and certainly well beyond politely compromising and negotiating. Man I am really glad I got what supplies I have prepared when I did.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
Hal10k said:
ChaplainOrion said:
Hal10k said:
ChaplainOrion said:
You would be taking all the people who spend all of their time in 4chan and forcing them to migrate to other parts of the internet.

Good lord, man, consider the consequences.
Then the government would have perfect reasons to censor the internet... Good lord, I discovered their next move. This is all part of their plans!

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
They've taken a while to get involved in all this. They probably want to take a more backseat role this time seeing as the internet is doing good on it's own and will just retaliate when stuff like this happens. Still, things are getting a bit unsettling now.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Listen up everyone. Anonymous did not do this with SOPA in mind. They did not do this to make the internet a better place. This was not about helping anyone. They care not that you're whining about how it doesn't help.

Guess what, Anonymous are not the heroes of the internet, and I'll thank every deity who'll listen for that. I was afraid they had all been replaced by self-righteous tossers.

Plain and simple: Anonymous got pissed->Anonymous got busy. I hope they keep it up... despite what you whiny sods are saying. We have all got more important things to worry about than Anonymous doing their thing, anyway.

SOPA/PIPA is still a threat and we shouldn't be hoping that Anonymous is going to be fighting our "Good Fight" for us. In short: be upset with them later, because this has NOTHING to do with SOPA.

Disasterpiece Press

Jan 2, 2012
viranimus said:
Its not enough. Im furious right now because I have because of circumstances of uploading massive amounts of my personal files I created to megaupload so I could reformat my PC and correspondingly being blocked from the web host for those files the day after I reformat the PC I now have tens of thousands of hours (In essence years) of my personal work and labor being held hostage because many of the items I stored for the purposes of reformatting do not have physical files (Such as incomplete drawings, Massive library of audio track recordings, animation studio proofs, etc) that are absolutely irreplaceable.

This reaction is STILL too small. This shit is beyond control and certainly well beyond politely compromising and negotiating. Man I am really glad I got what supplies I have prepared when I did.
I don't mean this in a snarky, dickheaded way but how come you didn't back-up everything onto an exhd?
I'm a published author, and I have 3 back-up harddrives, just in case.
I'm asking sincerely, because I'm genuinely curious.
Not that I don't think it is royally fucked up that you can't access a site that you used for completely legal reasons.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
I love me some Anonymous I admit it. I really miss Lulzsec though. Dammit those guys knew how to have a good time. Their Twitter was full of awesome.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Update 2: Anonymous claims to have taken down the Utah Chiefs of Police Association website.
Yeah!!!
TAKE THAT....UTAH POLICE CHIEFS!!!
Wait...why was the Utah Police targeted again?

Weren't the arrests made in New Zealand?

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
So...

Anon does nothing to show it's backing of SOPA but when a file sharing website gets taken down 'it's on'?
If you really think about it nobody really did anything of actual value. As ridiculous as Maddox can be, he does have a point [http://maddox.xmission.com/] here.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Kopikatsu said:
Two things.

1. This enforces the idea that the internet needs to be regulated, because if it's one thing that the law absolutely despises, it's vigilantes.

2. Anonymous has no discretion. And this does cover ALL of the little splinter groups calling themselves Anonymous. Like attacking Utah. What did Utah do to anyone?
I seriously doubt regulating the internet would stop groups like Anon anyway. It would only serve to curtail the rights of the average citizen.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Woohoo! Go get 'em Anon!

*ahem* I mean, this is a very interesting turn of events and I'm not on one side or anoth- Oh screw it, tear them a new virtual asshole Anon!

*munches popcorn*

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Frostbite3789 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
So...

Anon does nothing to show it's backing of SOPA but when a file sharing website gets taken down 'it's on'?
If you really think about it nobody really did anything of actual value. As ridiculous as Maddox can be, he does have a point [http://maddox.xmission.com/] here.
Of course he has a point, but as long as people raise up enough hell to show the swing backers of this legislation they need to think about it, then they did their job. What to do here, is to remember who's voting for it and make sure everybody else remembers, so these politicians and people like them don't ever get elected again.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, I think this kind of drives my point home about carrot and stick.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Wow Anon. When you're not busy being cyber terrorists by publishing the names of the family members of CEOs and cops all over the net and then being complete idiots by putting people in danger of getting slaughtered by Mexican drug cartels, you're out taking down government websites just because an upload site that supported piracy gets shut down. Truly, this group will be rememberd for all the good that it has done.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
ChaplainOrion said:
They're trying the closest equivalent. It's called "SOPA".

(You may want to brush up on what Anonymous is before saying things like this. Protip: It's not a group of activists. Another pro-tip: By using the name "ChaplainOrion" and not including personal details on your profile, you are also part of Anonymous.)