Anonymous Exacts Revenge for Megaupload Takedown

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Disasterpiece Press said:
viranimus said:
Its not enough. Im furious right now because I have because of circumstances of uploading massive amounts of my personal files I created to megaupload so I could reformat my PC and correspondingly being blocked from the web host for those files the day after I reformat the PC I now have tens of thousands of hours (In essence years) of my personal work and labor being held hostage because many of the items I stored for the purposes of reformatting do not have physical files (Such as incomplete drawings, Massive library of audio track recordings, animation studio proofs, etc) that are absolutely irreplaceable.

This reaction is STILL too small. This shit is beyond control and certainly well beyond politely compromising and negotiating. Man I am really glad I got what supplies I have prepared when I did.
I don't mean this in a snarky, dickheaded way but how come you didn't back-up everything onto an exhd?
I'm a published author, and I have 3 back-up harddrives, just in case.
I'm asking sincerely, because I'm genuinely curious.
Not that I don't think it is royally fucked up that you can't access a site that you used for completely legal reasons.
No, I that is a legit question. Honestly? I was born poor, Ill die poor. So not having a lot of disposable income you try to prioritize. Its hard justifying spending extra money for recordable media that seemingly has just as much chance to fail. when a more cost effective means was made available for a realistic price of 350 USD 1 time for lifetime webhost,(and illustrating how cheaply that level of service SHOULD cost, because it can be done) I chose to reward that. I saw it as a choice to save a massive amount of money on physical media. Granted since 2008 I have more than saved 350$ of physical media that I did not have to buy.

I would say I have saved more than 3500$ not having to buy CDs and then DVDs. Then there is also the consideration how quickly a library of thousands of burnt CDs/DVDs becomes cumbersome, time consuming and unwieldy to manage. So when my situation came to the point of needing something to get away from CDs/DVDs I tried external hard drives first. I went through 3 of which all promptly died. Flash drives while more reliable still do not have the storage capacity I need. So then I tried to give Megaupload a chance and in that time they had never failed to disappoint me. It became an unexpected godsend to be able to do things I had never considered practical before like accessing files anywhere there is a PC with an internet connection, even from different locations Figuratively it took an act of congress to interrupt that reliability and adaptability of service.

Also, please understand that I respect my work is really not all that great. I had no intentions to create for profit or for anyone else to see/hear/experience it. I was just trying to create for the sake of creating.(Grrr... I just realized my most recent minecraft save file is stored there) These files are not intended for public use or anyones eyes but mine. I know many are bad, impractical, unuseful so I dont want to expend a lot of money to hoard trash. Cause even though most of it is worthless trash even to myself, There might be some I wrongly critiqued as being trash, that might actually be a master piece (million monkeys producing shakespear theory) or something that becomes a point of inspiration for something else later. If I had made it with the intention for someone else to see it, or on a for profit basis, Yes I would have invested more into protecting that investment. But seeings as was for my personal enjoyment/satisfaction I think that it was an appropriate level of investment for the value of it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
tony2077 said:
oh anon when will you learn your way of doing things doesn't help
Probably about 20-30 years after we've all got government mandated computer chips implanted in our brains.

Feb 13, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Well Wikipedia do something useful.

Anon don't.
They took a day off work, figuratively.

Why are you surprised you don't know what a secretive underground organisation are doing, but do know what a high profile website asking for money is doing?

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
Hey guys, the entire reason anon does this is to draw attention to what happened from the media, regardless of what it looks like toward them - now people know that megaupload was taken down by a bunch of greedy corporate cunts who deserve nothing less than to be living on the street, not controlling a government.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
AdamG3691 said:
so, half of the internet blacks out voluntarily yesterday, today, anon blacks out the other half :p
I giggled.

Regardless of whether we think what theyre doing is a good or bad idea, Anonymous are going to continue.

May I suggest we approach this as if it were like a Riddick film?, where we support one evil to destory the bigger evil?

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
And this comic strikes again http://xkcd.com/932/ .

When will they realise they aren't making any difference. The only people they can actually hurt are the customers of their victims. In this case they have nothing.

Just glad they are steering clear of SOPA. Don't need them muddying the waters and forcing people's hands.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
So they decided to hand their opposition even more ammunition? Wow these guys are sooooo smart. I hate annon, they DDoS WEBSITES and try to say they do it for "the people". The only "people" annon "members" care about are annon "members". All of the internal servers at the DoJ were up and running and I would wager that a good number of them were being used to run a back trace on you annon. So many good metaphors for this...

They....

punched a sleeping bear.
kicked a beehive.
opened the floodgates.
shot themselves in the foot.
ect, ect, ect.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so I'll leave it at this.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Daystar Clarion said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Daystar Clarion said:
So...

Anon does nothing to show it's backing of SOPA but when a file sharing website gets taken down 'it's on'?
Methinks someone hasn't been watching what Anonymous has been doing. They went dark yesterday as well.

Well you'd be right about that.

I don't give a toss what anon do, and DDoSing something doesn't exactly spark the thoughts of 'internet vigilantes'. Just 'internet guys with nothing better to do'.
This is a fair point, and I've commented on it before. Anonymous so far seems to lack the fangs to do more than mildly annoy the people it's targeting. Unless it can take down administrative systems and literally freeze these organizations for a lenthy period of time, this is more like a phrank.

That said, while I agree with Anonymous about SOPA, as I said in another post... the list of charges here includes Money Laundering. I think the copyright stuff is just something those interested in the politics are jumping on, but they are probably "also ran" charges meant to pad out the bust. The CEO of Megaupload wasn't nailed, just some people under him.

I think in the end the bottom line is that the copyright laws are still toothless and not practically prosecutable which is why the honcho wasn't nabbed. This is probably all about a money trail being traced back to these guys, and people within the Megaupload company laundering dirty money.

With no offense to Anonymous, stopping money laundering is not a bad thing. I think they responded to people who were sounding off about something they really didn't know much about.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
Remind me, what the hell does Anonymous' followers expect to achieve in having various websites unusuable for a handful of hours? We regularly got that here on The Escapist every Wednesday, yet here we are.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Bob_F_It said:
Remind me, what the hell does Anonymous' followers expect to achieve in having various websites unusuable for a handful of hours? We regularly got that here on The Escapist every Wednesday, yet here we are.
Unless its my computer, we still do regularly get that every Wednesday on the Escapist.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Innegativeion said:
I've always imagined them as some sort of outer god made up of ones and zeroes. You've seen those outer ones before, right? all those limbs, eyes, and mouths. They must get confused sometimes. The most powerful of the outer gods in Lovecraft's works is called "the idiot god" sometimes.

...how very appropriate.
That makes a lot of sense. Almost TOO MUCH sense.

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
I think it was the arrests and take-down that ticked them off. They would be seen as the bad guy even more if they were to interfere with the running of a country but I do think that not anyone can be Anonymous, they need to organise and form themselves into a body that acts as a body and pick their battles or they will join in with the others that have hissy fits whenever stuff happens that they don't approve of.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Do4600 said:
Kopikatsu said:
Two things.

1. This enforces the idea that the internet needs to be regulated, because if it's one thing that the law absolutely despises, it's vigilantes.

2. Anonymous has no discretion. And this does cover ALL of the little splinter groups calling themselves Anonymous. Like attacking Utah. What did Utah do to anyone?
I seriously doubt regulating the internet would stop groups like Anon anyway. It would only serve to curtail the rights of the average citizen.
As I've been saying all along, that doesn't matter in the slightest. Like the thing on video game piracy. The big developers/publishers have only seen their profits increase, despite increased piracy. But that doesn't matter. As long as they perceive profits as being lost, then it's a problem that they have to devote time and resources on DRM and other anti-piracy methods.

Same deal here. It doesn't matter if it doesn't stop them, as long as it seems like it will.

Dec 14, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Well Wikipedia do something useful.

Anon don't.
They took a day off work, figuratively.

Why are you surprised you don't know what a secretive underground organisation are doing, but do know what a high profile website asking for money is doing?
Because shut the fuck up, that's why :D

I hate it when someone's logic contrary to mine makes perfect sense.

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
Oh, so NOW these assholes want to help? Threaten our entire way of internet, and they're nowhere to be found, but OH NO MEGAUPLOAD WENT DOWN, GOTTA GET MY PRONZ, QUICK LET'S GET TO HACKING GUIZE.

Fuck you, Anonymous. SOPA showed us one thing- we don't need you anymore. The internet doesn't need a spokesperson, because it's been clearly shown that it can speak for itself.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
When Anon is doing things in retaliation for non-internet based things I can get behind them sometimes. When on the web though, they should back off some since it just gives Congress, the DOJ, and the FBI a reason to fuck with the internet.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I'm so glad they stayed out of the whole SOPA thing. And am kinda happy that they're throwing a tantrum that one of their favorite file-sharing sites that exploited piracy was taken down.

Should probably give the government confidence that they made the right call (which they did) in taking Mega down to have the people who adore piracy throwing a hissy fit over it.