Anonymous Exacts Revenge for Megaupload Takedown

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I think they are starting to act more like protesters than anything. They are like Occupy but instead of going somewhere they occupy things digitally.

Also, anyone else amused that the OP (I think its Grey for this article) put links to the sites that are inaccessible?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
SpiderJerusalem said:
Kopikatsu said:
Two things.

1. This enforces the idea that the internet needs to be regulated, because if it's one thing that the law absolutely despises, it's vigilantes.
Robin Hood, Batman, Zorro, V and countless of other images of vigilantes attacking the corrupt law in power would like to disagree with you. Anon might not be the answer we're looking for, but I'd much rather them taking out the morally bankrupt corporations that are trying to bully the rest of the internet to behave.

Also, regulating the internet will never work, and should never be implemented.

...You do realize that you just listed a bunch of fictional characters, right?

And I'm not sure what your point is. The law doesn't like vigilantes. Listing vigilantes who attack the law isn't a good way to refute my point.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
You know half the time Anon's dealings seem a bit dubious and silly but for this... I'm glad they are giving those corporations/government institutions at least a bit of a hard time.
Even if it's only a slight annoyance to them, I'm glad.

Seriously companies "trying"(they aren't really so much trying as succeeding) to run the world... f'off please.

I bet Eidos Montreal thought they were being all futuristic when the voice over for the Deus EX trailer was saying "...corporations have more power than the government...". No, no boys and girls. It's here and now.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
So anon can announce attacks on twitter, yet my account gets suspended the same day I make it without even so much as writing a curse word or posting anything illegal. Seriously, fuck twitter.

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
In the internet world, Anonymous in the group of confused anarchists who spend their evenings revolting against society by kicking garbage cans and scaring old ladies. This will only serve to paint anti-SOPA protests as pirates and hackers. I don't think they could possibly have done more damage to the opposition.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
I've got a warm bomb shelter for anyone willing to bring over some snacks and watch a Marvel Cinematic Universe marathon. No Incredible Hulk though. Never the Incredible Hulk.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
The whole 'using links posted in random places to make drones' makes me happy. Might actually get idiots to stop clicking on every single retarded link they can.

OT: Anon, whether doing it for good/bad/lulz reasons, wont stop. The more people whine, the more fuel it provides. Have to say though, i fully support what they are doing. A lot of my friends used megaupload for college/uni files and i really don't see them getting money back for now defunct subs.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I'm sorry, but I gotta ask, why the Utah chiefs of police association? That seems like an oddly specific target that has oddly little to do with this affair.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Just a reminder that anon have done good things in the past :)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2011/10/24/anonymous-operation-darknet.html

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
DrOswald said:
Azmael Silverlance said:
These are just attacks out of desperation nothing will happen because of them. These arent websites we visit everyday and them being taken down for a short amount of time will not in fact do any real damage.

Take down amazon.com then you know...people will freak out and be scared. Because if you take a site like this that makes $ out of being online and available then people will pay attention.

Taking the departement of justice down does what? Piss them off and makes them shut down another site. Who wins in that exchange ?
But these attacks were in response to a very specific action by a specific group. They shut down the Department of Justice website because it was the Department of Justice that they have a problem with. Attacking amazon would be just plain stupid because you would be attacking a group that had nothing to do with the actions you are protesting.

Martin Luther King Jr marched on Washington because he wanted political change. The occupy Wall Street movement is on Wall Street because people want economic change. Anonymous attacked the Department of Justice because they want law enforcement to change in a specific way. This is a protest. They are acting like protesters.
No i agree with you 100%. But your examples were of people and protests that had a strong impact. This attack however makes no real plash and nobody will really lose sleep over that.
Hundreds sitting on a street is something completely different

Feb 13, 2008
Baneat said:
Sober Thal said:
Do people think that these sites Anon is freezing have any impact on the way these companies do their daily jobs?
No, it's like leaving a flaming bag of shit on their doorstep, ringing the bell and sprinting away screaming "ANONS REVOLT!"
Which costs them thousands of pounds to remove.

WMG was down for an hour...Imagine what that would do to, say, Tesco's.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Anon, we were handling this just fine through legal means, kindly fuck off. You're just proving to these people that they're right and that laws like these are needed YOU FUCKING IDIOTS!

Disasterpiece Press

Jan 2, 2012
viranimus said:
No, I that is a legit question. Honestly? I was born poor, Ill die poor. So not having a lot of disposable income you try to prioritize. Its hard justifying spending extra money for recordable media that seemingly has just as much chance to fail. when a more cost effective means was made available for a realistic price of 350 USD 1 time for lifetime webhost,(and illustrating how cheaply that level of service SHOULD cost, because it can be done) I chose to reward that. I saw it as a choice to save a massive amount of money on physical media. Granted since 2008 I have more than saved 350$ of physical media that I did not have to buy.

I would say I have saved more than 3500$ not having to buy CDs and then DVDs. Then there is also the consideration how quickly a library of thousands of burnt CDs/DVDs becomes cumbersome, time consuming and unwieldy to manage. So when my situation came to the point of needing something to get away from CDs/DVDs I tried external hard drives first. I went through 3 of which all promptly died. Flash drives while more reliable still do not have the storage capacity I need. So then I tried to give Megaupload a chance and in that time they had never failed to disappoint me. It became an unexpected godsend to be able to do things I had never considered practical before like accessing files anywhere there is a PC with an internet connection, even from different locations Figuratively it took an act of congress to interrupt that reliability and adaptability of service.

Also, please understand that I respect my work is really not all that great. I had no intentions to create for profit or for anyone else to see/hear/experience it. I was just trying to create for the sake of creating.(Grrr... I just realized my most recent minecraft save file is stored there) These files are not intended for public use or anyones eyes but mine. I know many are bad, impractical, unuseful so I dont want to expend a lot of money to hoard trash. Cause even though most of it is worthless trash even to myself, There might be some I wrongly critiqued as being trash, that might actually be a master piece (million monkeys producing shakespear theory) or something that becomes a point of inspiration for something else later. If I had made it with the intention for someone else to see it, or on a for profit basis, Yes I would have invested more into protecting that investment. But seeings as was for my personal enjoyment/satisfaction I think that it was an appropriate level of investment for the value of it.
I never really thought of it that way - how much money has been spent from CDs to DVDs to Exhds. I'm guilty of this and I have spent a lot of time consumed by transfers and organization.
You have every right to be pissed - no matter how you feel about your art and its intentions, your right to access it and do with it as you please had been compromised. You can not be held at fault because people choose to use the same system for "illegal" reasons. I don't get why they don't continue to just tell the website to take down infringing files - they do this with youtube all the time. It's smell so rotten to me. How can you punish everyone? That would be like banning alcohol because a select amount abuse the substance or drink & drive.
And on an even deeper level, I'm not so sure this is theft - yes, megaupload is making money off of advertising that could be linked to copyrighted material, so why not hit them in the wallets then? If they are making so much bank, can't the people who are upset recoop that way? And isn't this just a system that the entertainment industry needs to get behind? The ease and safety - the reliability of product - so many people would gladly pay a fee to have a service like that.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Frostbite3789 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
So...

Anon does nothing to show it's backing of SOPA but when a file sharing website gets taken down 'it's on'?
If you really think about it nobody really did anything of actual value. As ridiculous as Maddox can be, he does have a point [http://maddox.xmission.com/] here.
people are boycotting E3,so that's one thing, Wikipedia blacked out, that's another thing, as it"inconvenienced people" 30 000 people pulled their domain names from godaddy, hit them in the money, that helped. and he even admitted that we got our way, despite him saying "none of it's going to work you all suck QQ".

the guy has the flimsiest point I have ever seen, or at least terrible, terrible, supporting arguments that were clearly proven wrong. the only good thing to come from that article was the suggestions of what to do and who to hit, the rest was trash honestly.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Disasterpiece Press said:
How can you punish everyone? That would be like banning alcohol because a select amount abuse the substance or drink & drive.
You should have a look at the prohibition that happen in the states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States

Seems to be how their government rolls.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I don't believe megaupload deserves to be shutdown, but I don't know anyone who uses it for legal purposes. I know it hosts some game patches and other stuff but I only hear about the piracy aspect. Instead of destroying Megaupload, attack the people who are putting pirated things on there. Killing the messenger rarely works if history is a good indicator.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
The Random One said:
I keep thinking of that XKCD comic. "Anonymous tore down a poster put up... by the Department of Justice!"
Haha, yes. Anonymous like to flatter themselves a lot with big, smug speeches, but the extent of their action is limited to pointless, feckless attacks that have no long term result and produce no lulz.