Anonymous Exacts Revenge for Megaupload Takedown

Eddy Cowdrey

Sep 14, 2011
personion said:
Whaaaat!?

Why!?

MegaUpload was blatantly breaking the laws of piracy and the feds were just doing there jobs. If they were protesting because of SOPA I could understand, but SOPA is on hold indefinitely, so what's the problem!?

Honestly, it seems like they're just lashing out to say "oh hey, we're anonymous, we're so cool, let's take advantage of this situation!"
Totally agree, I support sites like TPB and fully supported DDoS attacks here in NZ when our "3 strikes" legislation was put in place. However this attack is one I wholeheartedly disagree with.

It appears virtually no-one read the indictment, you know, the document that clearly outlines all the reasons they took down the sites and arrested Dotcom. If Anons had actually taken a few minutes to read the evidence, they would have seen it's not "OMG they have some pirated files!!", and more "These guys are actively encouraging piracy and rewarding people for it".

Megaupload was breaking the law, and it is completely reasonable for authorities to shut it down. If this was TPB, then this kind of response would be justified, as TPB doesn't break any real laws.

Also, anyone who has lost data due to the shutdown, I have little sympathy. The T&Cs for MU clearly state no guarantee for the safety of your data. If you wanted that kind of data security, use an external or at least use a service aimed at that kind of thing (Dropbox comes to mind).

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
Ultra-Chronic Monstah said:
FUCK YEAH PSYCH!

But yeah, I agree with the general consensus here. Anonymous isn't making change, they're just pissing off people that are already on the warpath.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Do nothing to fight SOPA, enact ineffective retaliatory strikes with loic. Nice work, now people supporting SOPA have more ammunition. Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
there are 5 youtub channels and 15 twitter accounts claiming they are "the real annonymous". the real ones would never use googlable net to plan their attacks. they are smarter than that if they survived that long.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Simple solution to all this. Vote the bums out. Look at the mess California is in and then look at how many years the incumbents have been in office. Do you see a pattern here?

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Will the real Anon please stand up? Surely you're smarter than to give legislators more ammo and conviction to lock down the Internet.

Captcha: steampa xii. - Steampunk XII, anyone?

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
To be honest, the takedown of Megaupload is wrong. Whether or not the hacking is to be condoned, ill feelings about the Megaupload takedown are certainly understandable.

It feels almost as if SOPA and PIPA didn't even need to pass for the internet to be ruined. They're going after it anyway.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Is there really anymore needed said than this?

Yeah there is actually: have a giant corporation that makes billions despite piracy 'hurting them' of course you're going to suffer more than say ..if you murdered someone.