Anonymous hacks Iran government, leaks 10,000 emails

uc.asc

Jun 27, 2009
Liudeius said:
Why are people saying Anonymous is doing the right thing and LulzSec should be stopped? Iran is still an enemy of the US and they have nuclear capability, they will take Anonymous' attack as an attack from the US.
LulzSec on the other hand only showed the (terroristic) corruption of Infragard and a not-very-well-kept secret about manipulating Lybian internet infrastructure, something that should be assumed is being done anyway.

Edit: Well people aren't supporting Anon here, but on the LulzSec thread they are.
In what way is anon allied with the US? Do you even remember the diplomatic cable leak?

If iran was going to get pissy about being hacked they would have done it when their nuclear facility was sabotaged, not because of somebody's email.

They're just throwing darts at a world map to decide who to hack next aren't they?
Anon have been involved in the arab spring since the beginning.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
triggrhappy94 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Someone actually used their skill with hacking for good and attacked a legitimate target? DEPLOY THE PARTY BALLOONS!
I hate to be the one to pop your balloons... but Iran isn't really a legitimate target. Excluding Isreal, they're probably the most peacefull, not to mention Western (culturally) of the Middle Eastern countries.
You're probably thinking of Iraq.

Feralcentaur said:
triggrhappy94 said:
Someone's going to declare them a terrorist orginazation, and invade America trying to hunt them down.
Why America?
Last I checked, not everyone who considered themselves Anonymous was American.
You might as well invade any other country with internet connection.
Silly!
And not all terrorist are from Iraq and Afganastan, but look how that turned out.
The de facto leader of Anonymous Q, speaks with a thick European accent.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I'll be damned. They did something rather than harassing underaged girls demanding they expose themselves!

Perhaps they will use their powers for good and not evil now.
...And perhaps pigs will be flying their way through the hell that has frozen over.

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
Okay, now I'm just positive that people are raging at Anonymous for no reason beyond raging at Anonymous >_>

Seriously? Can't think of a reason why we should be happy about this? Iran has been taking a crap on its people for a while now, and the rest of the world has been doing dick-all to stop it because that might involve nukes and that means a real threat. If anything, we should be happy that a faceless organization did this, because all Iran can do is spin around trying to find a country to blame. And if they pick a country that is already pissed at them (read: half the world), then someone will finally step in to kick the shit out of them.

>_> I'm just not getting why we need to wait for some big government to go and do something like this. Or rather, wait for Iran to attack so one of us rolls off our ass to deal with it. Just like how the entire world ignores the suffering of North Korea because they might have nukes.

Meh. I just can't find the energy to care either way. I mean, yay that it happened, but I imagine everyone's gonna slap it down and scream bloody murder at Anon for doing this, and I really don't have the energy to even argue it. And arguing is practically my favorite thing to do.

SeriousIssues

Jan 6, 2010
Feralcentaur said:
triggrhappy94 said:
Someone's going to declare them a terrorist orginazation, and invade America trying to hunt them down.
Why America?
Last I checked, not everyone who considered themselves Anonymous was American.
You might as well invade any other country with internet connection.
Silly!
I doubt any Europeans will claim this steaming pile of possible shit.
AMERICA AS WE KNOW IT WILL COME TO AN END

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I don't know what's worse, Anonymous thinking they can do anything to help Iranians while sitting on their asses in their middle class basements in an American suburb, or people on this thread saying Iran was chosen 'randomly'.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
That is quite ballsy. And potentially dangerous. I'm curious to what Iran is going to say about all of this and what their reaction will be.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
Anonymous hacks Iran...someone get the lemon grenades. There's going to be a war.

This is precisely why you DON'T raise your hand when someone asks "Who did this?!" Haven't we learned anything from Assassin's Creed?

Jan 27, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
It isn't the first time.

Fun Fact: The original Deus Ex predicted the attacks on 9/11.
Forgive me if I'm wrong...But didn't they blow up the statue of liberty, and wasn't it done by secessionist US guys?

Yeah, similar concept, but WAAAAY less lives senselessly taken.

EDIT: On topic...I have no love for Iran. If this even remotely triggers a revolution there, then all power to Anon. Any country where you can be executed for BEING RAPED needs fixing. Nao.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
So some emails got stolen, so what? What does that really change for anyone? It's just a bunch of bored geeks doing random shit for 'teh lulz' and pretending that their 'work' matters.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Well... it's a fight worth fighting and I for one am glad someone is doing it... so I tip my hat to you Anonymous, Good Job.

Liudeius

Oct 5, 2010
Liudeius said:
Why are people saying Anonymous is doing the right thing and LulzSec should be stopped? Iran is still an enemy of the US and they have nuclear capability, they will take Anonymous' attack as an attack from the US.
LulzSec on the other hand only showed the (terroristic) corruption of Infragard and a not-very-well-kept secret about manipulating Lybian internet infrastructure, something that should be assumed is being done anyway.

Edit: Well people aren't supporting Anon here, but on the LulzSec thread they are.
uc.asc said:
In what way is anon allied with the US? Do you even remember the diplomatic cable leak?

If iran was going to get pissy about being hacked they would have done it when their nuclear facility was sabotaged, not because of somebody's email.
I was not aware the diplomatic cables were Anonymous.

But still, Anonymous is an English word (and English adaption of a Latin one) therefore one should assume the majority of the group, or at least the origin, was an English speaking country.
They will be needing someone to blame, they can't just blame the nothingness of the internet, so they will post the blame on the West. Aka: the US. I never said they wouldn't blame the UK too, perhaps they will blame both. Regardless, it will raise tensions somehow.

Things build up you know... If I punch you once, you might get a bit angry, but you won't necessarily lose your cool. If I punch you two more times, you might start hitting back. Just because this is (perhaps) less important than a nuclear facility (information is power, the emails could have vital information) does not mean it will not build tensions.

R.Nevermore said:
How can Iran see Anonymous's attack as an attack from the US? Nobody knows where their members are from, but I doubt they all meet in a warehouse in Washington DC. I'd bet that a good amount of their members are european or asian as well as american. Who knows?
But you have to admit the ideals Anonymous stands for (freedom of internet/speech) are more associated with western governments than east. Add the clear English origin, and they blame the US and UK.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
i wonder what they'll do when they hit antartica?
Isn't there a weather station or two down there? Not necessarily a smart choice, but...Well, these guys aren't known for common sense.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Mackheath said:
Whats the odds around 100 white suburban American kids disappear from their bedrooms?
Very little considering Middle Eastern governments are incompetent.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
henritje said:
wait what did Iran do to piss Anonymous off?
Iran is an oppressive regime that has suppressed the voice of its people numerous times.

Suppressing freedom of speech = piss Anonymous off.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Woo, go Anon!

Ok, just to clarify:
Anon=good guys, Lulzsec=cunts. What's the difference? One of those two disabled a software company's online system and published/sold the data of their customers for no reason other than lulz. The other takes on the governments of authoritarian and repressive governments, people/companies who limit free speech, people who fuck with cats, and possibly with pre-teen drama queens and their absolutely hilarious fathers.

And is anybody really concerned about diplomatic repercussions? I seem to recall a CIA virus that crippled Iran's nuclear facilities. Not much love lost over a few leaked emails methinks...

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
There was a US sanctioned cyber attack on Iran this year that impeded on their nuclear program, so if they didn't retaliate to that I doubt they will to this.

Im ok that they released this sort of information as it actually lets people make better informed decisions about their leaders from the things they say and do when not in the spotlight. I support Wikileaks and I support this, shine on anon.