Anonymous Hacks Syrian Ministry of Defense

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Anonymous Hacks Syrian Ministry of Defense

Anonymous hacked the Syrian Ministry of Defense website last night, replacing it with a message to the Syrian people and images of the regime's brutality.

For months, the government of Syria has waged a brutal campaign against civilians demanding an end to the Assad regime and a transition to a more open and democratic society. Despite international condemnation and calls for an end to the violence, Syrian troops launched an attack on the city of Deir al-Zour yesterday, leaving at least 50 dead according to activists and possibly prompting Anonymous to do what it does.

The group hacked Syria's Ministry of Defense website last night, replacing it with a Syrian flag emblazoned with the Anonymous logo, scrolling images [some rather disturbing] of the unrest and a message to the people written in both English and Arabic.

"The world stands with you against the brutal regime of Bashar Al-Assad. Know that time and history are on your side - tyrants use violence because they have nothing else, and the more violent they are, the more fragile they become," the message said. "We salute your determination to be non-violent in the face of the regime's brutality, and admire your willingness to pursue justice, not mere revenge."

"To the Syrian military: you are responsible for protecting the Syrian people, and anyone who orders you to kill women, children and the elderly deserves to be tried for treason," it continued. "No outside enemy could do as much damage to Syria as Bashar Al-Assad has done. Defend your country - rise up against the regime!"

Links to other websites, including the Ministry of Defense website [https://www.facebook.com/Syrian.Revolution] was taken offline sometime last night or early this morning and at last check was still unavailable.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
The title is annoying, as usual (implying there was a serious hack going on, and not just one on the website), but whatever. The people there need all the attention they can get, even if its just from an anonymous-action that was pointless in itself. As soon as the eyes of the world turn somewhere else for good, the people will have lost.

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
Deamon Toss said:
One day they will realize hacking websites doesn't actually accomplish anything. Do they expect them to just say say "oh gee, are website was hacked! call off teh war effort and turn around and go home!" I bet they don't even care.
The hack was more a message directed at the people, not the government. It was a call to arms against their government.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Deamon Toss said:
One day they will realize hacking websites doesn't actually accomplish anything. Do they expect them to just say say "oh gee, are website was hacked! call off teh war effort and turn around and go home!" I bet they don't even care.
First of all, it seems anon has better grammar than you. Second, the message was obviously for the Syrian people.

Flamebait

Nov 7, 2006
Deamon Toss said:
It's about as much as is possible for someone to accomplish while sitting thousands of miles away at a computer.

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
Deamon Toss said:
This was intended to be a message for the people not a cyber attack to the goverment.
but I agree with you that DDoS attacks aren't accompishing anything

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Deamon Toss said:
Well its obvious no one else has done anything useful in this time either else this campaign of brutalising the people into submission would have ended by now. Any more informed opinions you wish to make?

Neonshot

Aug 8, 2011
I think "doesn't actually accomplish anything" is an awful way to look at this news. These people in Syria only have a chance while the world is watching and the international community apply there own pressure from the outside. With this in mind any media story, especially one that shows a western groups support can only be a good and positive thing in my eyes.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
I'm still very much against a lot of the shit Anonymous does around the internet... But this is awesome. Well played, Anonymous. Well played. You've gained some respect from me for doing something actually noble.

..Just don't go back to being the fuckwits you've been with certain OTHER hacking attempts "in the name of free speech". THIS is a call to arms for free speech. NOT attacking game/electronics companies for your own amusement..

GG, Anons.. For now.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Nikolaz72 said:
Deamon Toss said:
First of all, it seems anon has better grammar than you. Second, the message was obviously for the Syrian people.
Yeah, they didn't hate the government or realize what it was doing before. Thank god for Anon!

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
I'm glad they are at least trying to promote more awareness in the west for people who don't know or care about what is going on in Syria. While Anon has done some pretty dumb stuff, it's clear to see that Anon truly has branches where there still are people who care about true freedom and not just petty hacks because they are "1337 c0ol 4ax0r7!!!!111"

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
Nikolaz72 said:
Deamon Toss said:
Yeah, they didn't hate the government or realize what it was doing before. Thank god for Anon!
The funny bit here is that Anonymous have told the Syrian people that the world has their back. That's more than our precious militaries or governments have done. The politicians have 'condemned' the acts of the Syrian Government, but conveniently enough stayed out.
Hopefully the message to the troops might have some effect. They MUST realise they don't have to keep doing what they're doing.

So yes. Anonymous have done a very powerful thing here. Those words carry a power greater than whatever the hell you guys expected.

Deadweasel

May 31, 2010
MattAn24 said:
I'm still very much against a lot of the shit Anonymous does around the internet... But this is awesome. Well played, Anonymous. Well played. You've gained some respect from me for doing something actually noble.

..Just don't go back to being the fuckwits you've been with certain OTHER hacking attempts "in the name of free speech". THIS is a call to arms for free speech. NOT attacking game/electronics companies for your own amusement..

GG, Anons.. For now.
Yeah, because "LulzSec" had nothing to do with the Sony cracks. Seems to me Anonymous has only really gone after companies and entities that are engaged in the practice of being general a**holes. I applaud their work here.

Apr 28, 2008
Deamon Toss said:
Reminds me a bit of xkcd.