Anonymous Hacks Westboro Baptist Church on Live Talk Show

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Anonymous Hacks Westboro Baptist Church on Live Talk Show

Tired of being goaded by the Westboro Baptist Church during a live internet talk show, the online collective known as Anonymous hacked one of its websites in the middle of the confrontation.

The Westboro Baptist Church, the hate-spewing religious organization known for picketing the funerals of soldiers and running such sites as godhatesfags.com, stirred up some attention for itself earlier this week with a claim that it had been U.S. Copyright Office [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107893-Westboro-Baptists-Stage-Fake-Anonymous-Threat]. But Anonymous denied responsibility, saying the whole thing was a ham-fisted publicity stunt perpetrated by the WBC itself. "When Anonymous says we support free speech, we mean it," the group said in a press release. "We count Beatrice Hall among our Anonymous forebears: 'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.'"

But poke any bear long enough and it will eventually turn on you, as the WBC found out during the latest episode of the YouTube [http://www.davidpakman.com/program-archive/] earlier today, the show featured a "debate" between Shirley Phelps-Roper of the WBC and a representative of Anonymous that unsurprisingly grew rather contentious. The Anonymous rep denied that the group had any involvement with attacks that recently took down various WBC sites, saying it was actually the work of a hacker known as "Jester," while Phelps-Roper was insistent that the whole thing was good for her church because of the attention it brought to its message.

But around the seven minute mark, in response to Phelps-Rogers' statement that Anonymous could not take down its site, the Anonymous rep mentioned that he was working on something; a little after eight minutes, he noted that it had in fact hacked the WBC download site at that very moment and posted a message from the group. "We just did it right now, this very second," the rep said. "You just told us we can't do anything to harm your websites. We just did."

The site, at browsershots.org [http://downloads.westborobaptistchurch.com].

via: Twitter [http://twitter.com/AllenVarney/status/40826529361428480]

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I swear anyone surprised by this needs to check their head for missing parts, after reading some of the things the WBC was saying about Anonymous it was only a matter of time before they got sick of it and went ape on them.

Normally I'm no a huge fan of hacking to make a point, and I'm a big supporter for free speech, but the WBC are just a bunch of crazy dicks and have earned everything that happens to them five fold.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Cuy said:
Okay so honestly, this is starting to get annoying. Do we really need a news post about every single move Anonymous makes? Even the stuff Elizabeth Grünewald used to post in the news room is starting to look interesting compared to the constant talk of Anonymous. Are people really that interested in knowing what a group of people on the internet do?

Not trying to be a douche, if I come off as that, just saying that it's slowly getting out of hand.
Actually, I really do care, seeing as some of the stuff they are doing is in defense of the freedom that the internet currently provides, which is in the process of actually being taken away from us. They're working against privatization of the internet, and I want to know what they're doing about it.

EDIT: "quite do"... What the fuck is my mind doing?

CezarIgnat

Jul 5, 2009
"God will kick his ass"...way to make us Christians look very good and mature. God's not your personal weapon idiots...

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
This video is amazing. Apart from anything I loved how Anonymous just kept slipping little memes and internet catchphrases into the conversation.

But the WBC woman just seemed like an immature idiot. Especially when she tries to make the Anonymous guy look immature. Its pretty hilarious.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Hahaha, oh, awesome sauce <3

Edit: I love the part where he works memes into the discussion.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
CezarIgnat said:
"God will kick his ass"...way to make us Christians look very good and mature. God's not your personal weapon idiots...
Agreed. I would like to add that I find the whole situation hilarious.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Anonymous, me and the many of you may not always see eye to eye, but I have to applaud you for this.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
You don't fuck about with people who know how to pull your website down into little binary bricks.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Exterminas said:
Wow, it's rare that you see these two breds of internet trolls combined in one video.
The question is, who's cannibalizing who?

By the way, godhatestheworld.com is down.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Ahhh the drama continues. This is better than any soap opera.

It would be nice if Anon or Jester could keep WBC's sites down. Forever.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
CezarIgnat said:
I don't know about that. If I made up a sign that said "I HATE FAGS" and started hanging around funerals, how long would it be before someone beat me up? The fact that WBC members appear to still have their noses unbroken tells me that the God angle is a major weapon in their crusade to troll the real world.

Wolfram01 said:
It would be nice if Anon or Jester could keep WBC's sites down. Forever.
"It would be nice if the government could keep Wikileaks down. Forever."

You see, the problem with free speech is you can't pick and choose. You have to let the assholes speak because if you have a kill switch, then they'll just redirect their efforts into taking the kill switch and then using it on you.