Anonymous Halts Sony Attacks Affecting PSN Users

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Anonymous Halts Sony Attacks Affecting PSN Users

Anonymous is regretful that its attacks against Sony may have affected innocent gamers.

In order to punish Sony for the "wholly unforgiveable" Sony executives themselves [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108254-Judge-Awards-Sony-With-Visitor-IDs-of-PS3-Hackers-Website]. After these attacks allegedly began, access to the PlayStation Network - the PlayStation 3 and PSP's online service - was shaky at best. Anonymous put out a press release apologizing to Sony customers for ruining their playtime, saying that attacks affecting the PSN will now stop.

"Anonymous is not attacking the PSN at this time," the press release says. "Sony's official position is that the PSN is undergoing maintenance. We realize that targeting the PSN is not a good idea. We have therefore temporarily suspended our action, until a method is found that will not severely impact Sony customers."

Anonymous writes that its goal was to attack Sony, not customers of Sony, so affecting gamers would "defeat the purpose" of its actions. "If we did inconvenience users, please know that this was not our goal," the release continues. Still, Anonymous points out that it won't end its attacks against Sony until the group is "satisfied with the outcome."

When I first heard of the Sony attacks, I was a little annoyed that someone just trying to play an online match of Uncharted 2 [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I0F5I2/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001JKTC9A&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=11RACHWEBW8XEMP8G589] could be harmed. It's nice to see that Anonymous is keeping innocent customers in mind, even if some of the executives it's attacking probably have nothing to do with Sony's legal actions either.

Source: Anonymous [http://anonnews.org/?p=press&a=item&i=797]

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
"Sony's official position is that the PSN is undergoing maintenance. We realize that targeting the PSN is not a good idea. We have therefore temporarily suspended our action, until a method is found that will not severely impact Sony customers."
You know, the PSN goes down for maintenance so often I'm not sure anyone would notice if they attacked it at all.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
You know what's ironic? I got a 404 error when I tried to view the news post outside of the forums.

OT: Well...that sucks for PSN users. Thankfully it seems that both companies/groups didn't plan this out. Hopefully PSN users aren't too screwed by this.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
Got to love the rationality of mobs.

At least they stopped before the pillaging and looting started.

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
V8 Ninja said:
You know what's ironic? I got a 404 error when I tried to view the news post outside of the forums.
Same here, lol.

OT: The thing that most annoys me about the PSN going down is I can't watch Hulu on my big screen. I don't play many games online, but I do enjoy the features that the PSN enables. Glad it won't be down because of outside forces.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Ok i'm lost...why are anonns attacking Sony?...

I would of thought Microsoft would of been a prime target...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I was that guy trying to play a match of Uncharted 2 yesterday.

Why did no one tell me how great the co-op was? WHY?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Well, at least they're backing off when they learned that Joe Everyman got caught in the crossfire. I'll take courteous vigilantes over discourteous ones any day of the week.

dbmountain

Feb 24, 2010
I find it funny how Anonymous feels like they have such a great impact on what's going on. In all likelihood, barely anyone noticed any change in the service at all

Apr 28, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
I was that guy trying to play a match of Uncharted 2 yesterday.

Why did no one tell me how great the co-op was? WHY?
I know bro, they interrupted our fun!

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Anything that harms Sony as a whole is going to harm the consumers. Avoiding PSN is not going to change that.

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
I think it's nice that they acknowledge that they made an error in their offensive strategy and apologizes to the users affected.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
If I was an executive at Sony right now, I would try to find some way to hold the userbase hostage in order to get rid of anonymous.
Something like PSN mysteriously going under "maintenance" every time Sony is under an attack.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Jonluw said:
If I was an executive at Sony right now, I would try to find some way to hold the userbase hostage in order to get rid of anonymous.
Something like PSN mysteriously going under "maintenance" every time Sony is under an attack.
Wouldn't that just result in the service appearing completely unreliable?

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
Well DUH! What do they think is going to come from unstrategic carpet bomb hacking? This is what I hate about Anon. Sure, it's fun to post big flashy press releases about attacking evil corporate suits for "wholly unforgivable" attempts to enforce lease agreements but when it comes down to it they have no real plan or endgame. They just launch a few attacks at whatever and it'll only ever be the low level employees and end users that get hurt.

Can anyone name bigtime execs who have ever been brought down because of Anon? Or is it just "Woot, we randomly inconvenienced part of the company for a while we're the heroes" and internet pundits gleefully adore them.

But it doesn't matter. Anon is becoming something worthless and obnoxious. Nothing but a chance for internet types to act smug and pretend they have a superhero on their side.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Wait wait wait wait wait...

You mean, when Anonymous takes down web sites/services, the customers can't access those sites/services? No! How could this be? Surely it only ruins the company's day, and does not affect the innocent customers in the least!

le picklez

Jun 16, 2010
Jonluw said:
While that seems like a good idea, what would probably happen is anonymous would figure out the trick and just start attacking the PSN directly, since it has no real effect.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
We realize that targeting the PSN is not a good idea.
so they attacked it anyway? Oh dear, I'm starting to think that all these anonymous people are no more wiser than who they attack.