Anonymous Says It's Not Finished With Sony

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Anonymous Says It's Not Finished With Sony

Denial of service attacks against Sony have been given the elbow, in favor of something a little more direct.

George Hotz might be done [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109150-GeoHot-and-Sony-Settle-PS3-Jailbreak-Case] with Sony, but Anonymous says that its action against the multinational corporation is far from over. To bring awareness to what it refers to as a "severe violation of privacy rights" on Sony's part, Anonymous is organizing demonstrations at Sony stores around the world.

According to Anonymous, not only was it unacceptable that Sony had "forced" sites like YouTube and PayPal to give up personal information about people who had watched GeoHot's videos or donated money to him, it was also unacceptable that Sony was permitted to request such information in the first place. It said that this issue was bigger than just Anonymous, and encouraged people who would not normally get involved with the group to show their support.

In a press release [http://anonnews.org/?p=press&a=item&i=809], Anonymous said that the DDoS attacks on Sony websites would halt, as it felt that their effectiveness had peaked. Instead, it urged people to boycott Sony products and gather at Sony stores on April 16th to protest against the corporation's efforts to invade people's privacy and stifle the free flow of information. "Where the judicial system has failed, Anonymous will persevere, by standing up for the rights of everyone, not just those who dared to challenge these corporations. GeoHot's belief was in the freedom of information dissemination. We will stand with him."

It said that attendees should cover their faces - as long as local laws allowed it - and co-ordinate with other protesters to set up a "legal team." This team would not take part in the protest itself, but would be in contact with a lawyer, just in case anyone got themselves arrested. The press release suggested that protestors write the number of their legal team on their arm so that they couldn't lose it.

According to the protest's Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=136813236391154] page, around 3,400 people plan to take part in the protest, although whether they actually all will is anyone's guess. There's also reason to doubt whether the protest will actually be all that effective: Sony's supposed privacy infractions are not the easiest things in the world to communicate to the layperson, and a group of people turning up in masks at an electronics store says "robbery" more than "protest."

Source: Evil Avatar [http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141041]

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
AnythingOutstanding said:
You know, I liked Alan Moore's story and all but I am getting a little tired of seeing that damn mask.
Not trying to be a dick, but Alan Moore isn't the one who came up with that mask, its a Guy Fawkes' mask... from, well, Guy Fawkes... just go look it up.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
and a group of people turning up in masks at an electronics store says "robbery" more than "protest."
Hehehehe.

Snowalker said:
Not trying to be a dick, but Alan Moore isn't the one who came up with that mask, its a Guy Fawkes' mask... from, well, Guy Fawkes... just go look it up.
Though that's true, many people favouring that mask wouldn't have heard of him, and most wouldn't be interested in him at all otherwise.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
That video was cool and all, but it's nothing like the Church of Scientology one. That one made me feel like they have power. This one makes me think they're being over top.

Anonymous Member said:
Prepare for the biggest attack you have ever witnessed, Anonymous style.
See, that doesn't strike as much power as the whole "Expect us" that they used in the Scientology video, and the music felt too much like they were trying hard to big this up in a very dramatic manner. Come now, find a new Director Anonymous.

Oh wait, the cause? Yeah, that's protest worthy. I still want to know what the settlement was between Sony and Geohot. I'm hazarding a guess that Sony had gathered some damning evidence or a defence and used the settlement as a way of making it quick, easy and cheap for both parties, and Hot signed knowing he would lose if he didn't agree. Only way I can see that happening.

Calumon: That TV man looks silly! :D

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
According to Anonymous, not only was it unacceptable that Sony had "forced" sites like YouTube and PayPal to give up personal information about people who had watched GeoHot's videos or donated money to him, it was also unacceptable that Sony was permitted to request such information in the first place. It said that this issue was bigger than just Anonymous, and encouraged people who would not normally get involved with the group to show their support.
Can't help but agree. These kind of privacy-infringing practices are outrageous, and truth be told, it scares me that corporations are allowed to do this.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
I thought they'd suggest the date "5 of Novermber" and not April 16.
it sounds more... poetic.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I wonder if every single member of Anonymous has gotten rid of all of their Sony products including their PS3's and games, as well as TV's and so on?

Somehow I doubt it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
TheIronRuler said:
I thought they'd suggest the date "5 of Novermber" and not April 16.
it sounds more... poetic.
Wait 7 months? I think they'd prefer to strike while the iron is still lukewarmish.

Also, that would clash with Tilda Swinton's birthday.

Hang on, though, they could claim that anyone doing anything for Guy Fawke's day was really one of them, so they looked like they had bigger numbers.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
hmm, something big...probably something to do with the multiplayer aspect of the ps3, seems to be the biggest target if a DDoS attack on their site has peaked.

brumley53

Oct 19, 2009
Legion said:
I wonder if every single member of Anonymous has gotten rid of all of their Sony products including their PS3's and games, as well as TV's and so on?

Somehow I doubt it.
They probably tried but mummy wouldn't let them.

I find it funny that a very large percentage of anonymous is "edgy" 14 year olds who don't even know what they're talking about the other half are the people that were going to use Geohotz stuff to pirate games. either way anonymous doesn't give a shit about anyones "freedom" they just wan't to be able to say "Yeah I was a part of that, Look I was cool and I had power." It's fucking pathetic.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
They are right why should sony be allowed to turn the world upside down for their little gaming console, I say make them wish they never crossed their own fans

shado_temple

Oct 20, 2010
So anonymous wants people to join in a protest with their faces covered to prove that...anonymous is protesting Sony. If this protest wants to be taken seriously, people shouldn't declare affiliation with anonymous, but rather protest because they truly believe that Sony's EULA is a problem.

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
I'm not sure what to think of this to be honest. I agree what Sony did was wrong but I don't really see what they can do about it.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
The only thing this video accompliced was making me wanna see V For Vendetta all over again.

Void Droid

Oct 6, 2010
"According to the protest's Facebook page, around 3,400 people plan to take part in the protest"

Maybe it's just me but if you are making it known on Facebook would there really be any point in hiding your face?