Anonymous Splinter Group Targeting Sony Executives

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Anonymous Splinter Group Targeting Sony Executives

The hacker collective Anonymous assails the PlayStation Network and harasses top executives in support of GeoHot and his pending legal battle with Sony.

By now, you probably know the major players. Bank of America [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106865-Sony-Breaks-Out-the-Lawyers-Over-PS3-Hacks] for not respecting free speech, has come to GeoHot's aid by bringing down us.playstation.com earlier this week and continuing disruption of gamers' connectivity with the PlayStation Network. Anonymous made a video announcement of its intentions in Operation Sony or #OpSony. In addition, a splinter Anonymous group - perhaps a subset of those involved - has formed on the IRC channel #SonyRecon to obtain as much personal information as possible on top Sony executives to target them for future harassment or possible hacking of personal systems.

"Ok, I made a chan #sonyrecon for people to gather and contribute dox, and work towards a common goal of finding and information and detailing useful targets," a user identified as randomtask said over IRC. "Someone got the phone number of the head of the sony company in #sonyrecon."

The "dox" that randomtask mentions refers to all personal identification documents or information such as phone numbers, email addresses or pictures of family members. So far, the IRC chat has targeted Sony financial guy Robert S. Wiesenthal and Nicole Seligman, Sony's legal guru who also defended Oliver North during the Iran-Contra affair and Bill Clinton at his impeachment trials. Of course, Sony CEO and President Howard Stringer's family is also under Anonymous' gun.

"No one found any info on Stringers kids?" one Anonymous member lamented in IRC. It's not just Sony executives that Anonymous wants to harass; anyone involved with the court case is vulnerable. "Sony, the judge and sonys lawyers are all valid targets," randomtask said.

But at least there is still a sense of humor about them. "lol well like 30 min ago i left chocolate rain on the judge's voicemail - lawl," one Anonymous member said.

Source: PlayStation Lifestyle [http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/04/04/anonymous-gets-serious-attacks-sony-employees/]

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
*trucks in 9,000 gallon tub of popcorn*

You know guys...and gals...this ain't all for me. Twenty bucks says that if personal information on either the judge or the lawyers come out, the US government will go on a media smear campaign.

After all, the banks used a S.W.A.T. team to forcibly evict a grandmother from her home up here in New York...

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
I firmly believe in the anonymous motto but I don't see this as a way of furthing this belief. I see it as making people see you as a villian instead of someone fighting for freedom.

The Red Spy

Dec 1, 2009
Magenera said:
This is a case of making shit worse. I really didn't see Sony having a case. But, now Geohot might be screwed because of this.
I fail to see how? Unless Geohot himself was the one conducting the attacks or was part of them, it should have no impact on the trial.

ex2katana

Feb 4, 2005
This doesn't help Geohot at all, and it's certainly not going to give Sony pause. It just adds fuel to the fire. I love internet vigilantism, but this is just stupid.

Cipher1

Feb 28, 2011
How is this honestly gonna help that arrogant jerk face, there is nothing these guys can do to make sony back down nothing.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Bah. I'm just waiting for the riot cops to stomp on their poor faces. And that somehow makes me feel like lobbing molotovs left and right. Must be my anarcho-bolshevist silly flaring up.

FangShadow

Feb 18, 2009
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
*trucks in 9,000 gallon tub of popcorn*

You know guys...and gals...this ain't all for me. Twenty bucks says that if personal information on either the judge or the lawyers come out, the US government will go on a media smear campaign.

After all, the banks used a S.W.A.T. team to forcibly evict a grandmother from her home up here in New York...
That's pretty much whats bound to happen. They are looking for info on everyone including the kids and thats probably where the line will be drawn.

Magenera said:
This is a case of making shit worse. I really didn't see Sony having a case. But, now Geohot might be screwed because of this.
Unfortunately, yes. Unless geohot comes out against anon for their actions in his case, then all the heat will be directed at him "to make him an example"

As I stated previously about this: whoever wins, things are going to get very rocky concerning modding and rights.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
The Red Spy said:
Magenera said:
I fail to see how? Unless Geohot himself was the one conducting the attacks or was part of them, it should have no impact on the trial.
It technically shouldn't, but it probably will. Depending on how out of hand this gets, people will make a connection between Geo and Anon, which will actually hurt his case. The logic will probably be something like this: "How do we know GeoHot didn't contact Anon and ask for their help in scaring off Sony?"

(disclaimer: I'm not making that association, but I can easily see less-informed people coming to such a conclusion)

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Anon almost seemed like they where starting to stand for something of course I just lost sight of their real goal. Lolz, the Geohot lawsuit is nothing more then them rationalizing the lolz. Instead of letting the law decide they are going to attack, its ridiculous.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
The Red Spy said:
Magenera said:
Because if any of them are in California, Sony will probably say "See GeoHot is getting support from California! We should try him here!" like they've been trying to do with everything else.

Plus, it sure as fuck isn't going to stop Sony from suing him, and I don't know what they think going after the judge will do either.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I find this stuff just hilarious. If Anon is able to mess with anything it is because a) they have too much info online which is too easy to gather. Or B) Anon just show how easy it is to both disrupt regular business and cause huge issues.

Now imagine if someone PAID these people to do this stuff. It will happen, this is just the beg.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
Well, so let me see if I understand... Feel free to enlighten me without assaulting me verbally or visually (Thanks ;) )

But Anonymous way to fight against Sony's Oppresion against our young hero GeoHotz is to harrass members involved in the trial? What?!

Also let me make it very clear. Sony is right.

Not in everything of course, God no. But the system root key is their intellectual property. When you buy a PS3 you don't buy the intellectual property from them. Geo Hotz had no right to post it online.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
Most of the time, I like anonymous and enjoy their shenanigans, but this is a little much.
Oh well, still a good show.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
HankMan said:
I called this last week in that article about Sony combating Piracy
<spoiler= What Sony Wants>http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2009/09/jack-sparrow-pirates-of-the-caribbean1.jpg
<spoiler= What Sony will Get>http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tusQ8cLJjvU/S2WBiVIHlwI/AAAAAAAAAGE/nQ5obMlm0sE/s640/Davy-Jones-After.jpg
The bell has been raised from its watery grave...
Do you hear its sepulchral tone?
A call to all, pay heed to the squall
And turn your sail to home!

I'm still waiting for a "hoist yer colours" style video from the pirate community but so far I'm disappointed.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
really doesnt this now convince the judge that gamers are all immature crazy hackers that dont care about the public and will attack them at any possible moment.This cannot be good for the trial

heydarguise

Apr 6, 2011
Hi guys. My name is "heyguise" and I'm the administrator for the irc channel #sonyrecon (the one this article is about.) If you guys have any questions about what we are doing or the reasons for this I'd be more than glad to answer you.

But as Rebbeca black says 3:40pm waking up in the after noon...gotta have my bowl :p