Anonymous Threatens Internet With "Operation Blackout"

Natasha_LB

Jan 2, 2011
I'm a bit dissapointed : (

I don't think it was a "real anon" plot, just some posers out for attention (I know that anyone can be a member, blah blah blah, but it reality it's not that simple), there were too many holes in the plan for it to have been "real anon". But I still hoped it would work. For one thing, the world needs to wake up and realize that the internet is not a constant, and that it is not secure. It needs more protection, and the only way people will realize that, is if it is proved to them first hand.

Secondly, just for the lulz!! It would have been so funny to see how the world reacted. Personally I freak out if the internet goes down for a couple of hours, so seeing it go down for a while, and for everyone, would be very funny! And I'm not even sure if it would be a bad thing: Whenever I'm stuck without the internet, I read, paint, draw, venture outside and talk to real people, it always has a very positive effect on me, even thought I panic at first. Without the distraction of the internet, imagine what we could achieve!!

And if the world does grind to a halt, it should be a warning call to all of us to stop placing so much power in the "hands" of these machines. In the event that we invent AI, do we really want computers having so much power over us, that we can effectively be controlled (Talk about role reversal!!)? I think not. Even ignoring the sifi AI side of it (Cos I'm not sure if that's even possible), having so much controlled by machines makes us a target: The aggressor could be a country, it could be a terrorist group, or (Very unlightly, but still possible) could even be some sort of alien life. Or perhaps there's just some sort of technical screw up somewhere, and everything goes down and can't be fixed.

I know that all of this is really unlightly,but it is it not worth making people aware of the danger, so that preventative measures can be taken? So, I hope that another group will try this again one day, it could have some very beneficial effects. And don't forget about the lulz!! You can't deny that it would be very funny!!

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
Next week Anonymous are going to increase the emission of carbon dioxide so global warming accelerates even more. That'll teach 'em!

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
LOOK OUT GUYS, THEY R LEEJUN!
THEY'RE GONNA GETCHA WITH THEIR 1337 HAXX0R SKILLZ!!!

Honestly, Anonymous is just adorable.
Whenever the slightest thing comes up, they put up their internet tough guy persona, acting like this huge shady organization, when we all know that it's just a disorganized bunch of random people who "represent" Anonymous whenever they feel like throwing a tantrum.

First off, they can't shut down the entire internet.
It could probably be done, but not by some "hacktivists".
Only way they could pull it off is if they had someone on the inside (WHICH THEY MIGHT, WHOOOOO~!)

Second, even if they did, it'd be shut down in less than a day.
Do they HONESTLY think that no one would be able to track them?
I wouldn't be suprised if they've got a bead on them already.

Third, there's their BS philosophy, how "big business is killing America MAAAN". Why are there so few activists who actually focus on bettering the world? Why do they all focus on doing moronic things designed to "shock" people? If you have a problem with something? Go out there and FIX IT. Don't sit back and spew "symbolism" until someone fixes it for you, go be a useful member of society.

And finally, really? Just REALLY? They hope to accomplish something through shutting down the internet? So all of the damage they they'll cause, that's all justified, so long as THE MAN gets the message?

Anonymous isn't some sort of all-knowing boogeyman, they're a bunch of disorganized, petulant CHILDREN.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
lordmardok said:
1. Pointing out the obvious isn't "trolling".

2. Didn't care to read the rest of the thread, just the OP. Despite this being late, my opinion still stands, Anonymous have never pulled off one of these big cataclysmic stunts they keep threatening. And if they do, it has a minimal effect on anything and is shut down in no time.

3. you do know I'm able to see your original post, right? the one in which you called me a twat? The one you promptly hid? I'm not being arrogant if there's no real threat. Anonymous have no power over anything. they don't even have any kind of official sturcture. there's no reason to fear Anonymous any more than your common, run-of-the-mill neckbeard "h4xx0r".

tl;dr
Anonymous is full of crap

Aviyur

Mar 11, 2010
I like how every time anonymous have said something and then failed to do it its always "it wasn't anonymous"

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Davroth said:
April's fools day joke anyone?
Who knew they had a sense of humor?

Then again, since they've BECOME a joke, may as well crack a few, right?

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
I would've had to seen it to believe it really, it might've been an interesting diversion for a couple of days, despite all of the costs to businesses all around the world, but hearing about it on television and all of the effects would've been interesting, if not inconvenient.

Does anyone think it is actually possible? As far as I understand the network of the internet, its impossible to take it down without closing down 'every' internet server. If one is still going, then, technically the internet is still going (even though if they got it down to just one, I tihnk that'd be success).

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I've been having trouble with in the internet in my college all week, I guess it is just a local problem then, considering everyone else is fine.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
BanthaFodder said:
LOOK OUT GUYS, THEY R LEEJUN!
THEY'RE GONNA GETCHA WITH THEIR 1337 HAXX0R SKILLZ!!!

Honestly, Anonymous is just adorable.
Whenever the slightest thing comes up, they put up their internet tough guy persona, acting like this huge shady organization, when we all know that it's just a disorganized bunch of random people who "represent" Anonymous whenever they feel like throwing a tantrum.

First off, they can't shut down the entire internet.
It could probably be done, but not by some "hacktivists".
Only way they could pull it off is if they had someone on the inside (WHICH THEY MIGHT, WHOOOOO~!)

Second, even if they did, it'd be shut down in less than a day.
Do they HONESTLY think that no one would be able to track them?
I wouldn't be suprised if they've got a bead on them already.

Third, there's their BS philosophy, how "big business is killing America MAAAN". Why are there so few activists who actually focus on bettering the world? Why do they all focus on doing moronic things designed to "shock" people? If you have a problem with something? Go out there and FIX IT. Don't sit back and spew "symbolism" until someone fixes it for you, go be a useful member of society.

And finally, really? Just REALLY? They hope to accomplish something through shutting down the internet? So all of the damage they they'll cause, that's all justified, so long as THE MAN gets the message?

Anonymous isn't some sort of all-knowing boogeyman, they're a bunch of disorganized, petulant CHILDREN.
I second this motion. I fully agree, they are idiot children.

I never liked Anonymous, for these reasons.

1. You can not have an organization that is fully 'Anonymous'. That allows anyone to use your name for their benefits. I could attack 4chan and claim I was Anonymous destroying all those who prohibit Brony liberation!!! ALL HAIL FLUTTERSHY!!!!

2. They do not think things through. Take piracy for instance, yes EA (and others) do take anti-pirate measures too far sometimes. But they do have the right to protect Intellectual Property. I do not even mean "If you pirate, they go out-of-business", I mean the studios will not have as much capital to invest in their next game. Also, a person (or persons) have the right to ask to be paid for something they create. It is just like if I made a very good table, if another tries to take it away from me, I call the cops and have them arrested.

3. I DO NOT LIKE TERRORIST OR THREATS OF TERRORISM. I know the odds of this being "true" Anonymous are low (see point 1) but the millions of dollars lost would have been devastating to our economy. Again, they did not think this through.

Gnoekeos

Apr 20, 2009
By total coincidence I didn't even try to use the internet that day. How did it go?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Gnoekeos said:
By total coincidence I didn't even try to use the internet that day. How did it go?
It was a veritable whirlwind of chaos and anarchy, exposing humanity's ugly and disreputable side for the world to see.

In other words, business as usual for the internet.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
I'm quoting Yahtzee but let's be honest, these people would be organizing a suicide pact if the internet went down for more than a week.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
Hallvard Dovakiin said:
Bah, won't happen. Even if they decided to go through with it they'd probably just get tired and put it back up after a little while.
The time has come and gone. Not one fuck was given that day, completely forgot it was supposed to happen.