Another Batman Animated Movie?! (Batman vs Jack the Ripper)

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Agent_Z said:
Silentpony said:
Because Batman is the only DC property that makes bank? Like it or not, he's popular and every attempt to branch out has been met with, at best, 'Meh...'

Look at Superman. Barely anyone likes it. Batman Vs. Superman, everyone likes Batman and nothing else. Suicide Squad, same.
Wonder Woman was a surprise hit for them, granted, but it also had Batman, and mostly skated by on the whole 'She's a woman!' trope rather than any quality film work.

The up coming Justice League movie looks to be a flop, and predicting it'll be Batman that people like.

Since the Animated Series in the 90s, people have liked Batman. He is the heart and soul of DC and he won't be going away any time soon.
Wonder Woman was also liked BvS. Batman was barely even in the Wonder Woman movie and I do love how dudebros insist that it starring a woman was the only reason people liked it. Yeah, we all saw how starring a woman helped the Supergirl, Catwoman and Elektra movies.

DC had Static Shock in the early 2000s which was popular enough to beat Pokemon in ratings. Batman is not the only DC property that makes bank.
DC doesn't own Static Shock, Milestone Media owns Static Shock. That said, Static did not make bank. That's the primary reason the show got cancelled, it didn't move merchandise. Even Static's comics sell poorly, and the numerous attempts to relaunch his comic line failed quickly. Hell he didn't even survive the New 52. At this point I'd argue that the people who do know him primarily know him because of how good the cartoon was. Everything else since then hasn't been noteworthy, I highly doubt he has that much selling power anymore.

Considering DC licenses him from Milestone, he'd have to be a massive seller himself for them to push him. But he hasn't done well so DC isn't going to pay out for a character that doesn't sell.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Rednog said:
Agent_Z said:
Silentpony said:
Because Batman is the only DC property that makes bank? Like it or not, he's popular and every attempt to branch out has been met with, at best, 'Meh...'

Look at Superman. Barely anyone likes it. Batman Vs. Superman, everyone likes Batman and nothing else. Suicide Squad, same.
Wonder Woman was a surprise hit for them, granted, but it also had Batman, and mostly skated by on the whole 'She's a woman!' trope rather than any quality film work.

The up coming Justice League movie looks to be a flop, and predicting it'll be Batman that people like.

Since the Animated Series in the 90s, people have liked Batman. He is the heart and soul of DC and he won't be going away any time soon.
Wonder Woman was also liked BvS. Batman was barely even in the Wonder Woman movie and I do love how dudebros insist that it starring a woman was the only reason people liked it. Yeah, we all saw how starring a woman helped the Supergirl, Catwoman and Elektra movies.

DC had Static Shock in the early 2000s which was popular enough to beat Pokemon in ratings. Batman is not the only DC property that makes bank.
DC doesn't own Static Shock, Milestone Media owns Static Shock. That said, Static did not make bank. That's the primary reason the show got cancelled, it didn't move merchandise. Even Static's comics sell poorly, and the numerous attempts to relaunch his comic line failed quickly. Hell he didn't even survive the New 52. At this point I'd argue that the people who do know him primarily know him because of how good the cartoon was. Everything else since then hasn't been noteworthy, I highly doubt he has that much selling power anymore.

Considering DC licenses him from Milestone, he'd have to be a massive seller himself for them to push him. But he hasn't done well so DC isn't going to pay out for a character that doesn't sell.
Static's comic was actually a big seller in the 90s. A toy line isn't necessarily the only way to make bank. DC also pushes a lot of characters that don't sell.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Looks pretty good. I like the original comic it's based on and I have yet to be disappointed by these DC Animated adaptations(even really enjoyed Killing Joke). Espescially when Bruce Timm is involved. I hope they do Red Rain next(or preferably the entire vampire trilogy).

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Agent_Z said:
Rednog said:
Agent_Z said:
Silentpony said:

Static's comic was actually a big seller in the 90s. A toy line isn't necessarily the only way to make bank. DC also pushes a lot of characters that don't sell.
But what are you suggesting they make money from? Merchandise is a million (if not billion) dollar industry for major characters. Also I don't know where you're getting the idea that the Static comic was a big seller in the 90s. Milestone Comics had a 4 year run and closed shop with an unfinished story because they sold poorly. It couldn't even sell well because it was published around the time the comic industry crashed.
Static disappeared for 3-4 years before DC licensed him for the cartoon.

Seriously how is DC going to make money off a character they have to pay to use when he isn't selling merch and he isn't selling comics? He's a character who has slowly faded into obscurity for the general public.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Rednog said:
Agent_Z said:
Rednog said:
Agent_Z said:
Silentpony said:

But what are you suggesting they make money from? Merchandise is a million (if not billion) dollar industry for major characters. Also I don't know where you're getting the idea that the Static comic was a big seller in the 90s. Milestone Comics had a 4 year run and closed shop with an unfinished story because they sold poorly. It couldn't even sell well because it was published around the time the comic industry crashed.
Static disappeared for 3-4 years before DC licensed him for the cartoon.

Seriously how is DC going to make money off a character they have to pay to use when he isn't selling merch and he isn't selling comics? He's a character who has slowly faded into obscurity for the general public.
Milestone actually sold very well initially. Their poor sales were due to several factors such as distribution.

Static is also featured on Young Justice and there were plans to include him in Injustice. His cartoon was popular so there's justification for a second chance. As I said, DC pushes characters that sell poorly all the time. Comic sales have nothing to do with success in other media. Look at Blade or the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Agent_Z said:
Wonder Woman was a deeply flawed, but enjoyable movie. But it had pacing issues, editing issues, story structure was fucked, plotholes abound.
And multiple people on this site, and critics in general all collectively said its not about what the movie is, but what it represents, i.e. ladytypes with top billing.

Not a bad thing at all. Worth praising. But don't bullshit that it wasn't graded on a pretty steep curve.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Silentpony said:
Wonder Woman was a deeply flawed, but enjoyable movie. But it had pacing issues, editing issues, story structure was fucked, plotholes abound.
Care to point out these plot holes and pacing and editing issues that are oh so glaring?
Silentpony said:
And multiple people on this site, and critics in general all collectively said its not about what the movie is, but what it represents, i.e. ladytypes with top billing.
People stated it was that AND a good film in its own right. If giving a lady type top billing was all it took, Catwoman and Elektra would not have been so thoroughly savaged by critics.

Silentpony said:
Not a bad thing at all. Worth praising. But don't bullshit that it wasn't graded on a pretty steep curve.
I love how we can get a dozen mediocre ass male led superhero movies that geek sites fall over themselves to felate but when a female led movie gets praise it?s because it?s graded on a steep curve and people just forget the dozens of female led movies where being a female lead wasn?t enough to save them.

If you don't think the film is all that, that't your opinion but it's still just YOUR opinion.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Agent_Z said:
Obvious ones: If Diana is God-Killer, what's with the sword? Whose sword was it? Why was it important? Was the Sword there before Diana arrived? Why is her armor special if her sword isn't? How do the German spies in London recognize Steve on sight, when anyone who got a clear look at him in the beginning died in his escape? Why do the shield and sword change sizes based on the scene? If the Amazons have been gone for thousands of years, how do they speak modern languages and understand current era slang, anecdotes and customs? Why does the gas from the village just...stop? That's not how gas works. Why does Steve's love for her give her the strength of kill Ares when Zeus, who loved all humanity, couldn't?

As for guybro movies, yeah, lot of them are shit. Having junk doesn't make them good.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Silentpony said:
Obvious ones: If Diana is God-Killer, what's with the sword?
Hippolyta was trying to keep Diana?s true fate a secret. Plus Hippolyta never told Diana the sword was the God Killer. Diana came to that conclusion all on her own.

Silentpony said:
Whose sword was it?
It was a gift from the gods. One of many. Hippolyta says thusly.

Silentpony said:
Was the Sword there before Diana arrived?
Um, yeah. We see Hippolyta show it to her when Diana?s a kid.

Silentpony said:
Why is her armor special if her sword isn't?
Who9 says the sword isn?t special? It was still a gift from the gods even if it wasn?t the Godkiller. As Hippolyta said, the gods gave them a lot of gifts.

Silentpony said:
How do the German spies in London recognize Steve on sight, when anyone who got a clear look at him in the beginning died in his escape?
Who says it was only the ones that got a good look at him that died? Even then they could have been informed of what he looked like before his escape in case something like that happened.

Silentpony said:
Why do the shield and sword change sizes based on the scene?
What?

Silentpony said:
If the Amazons have been gone for thousands of years, how do they speak modern languages
One of their abilities granted to them by the gods. Diana says thusly when speaking to the Native American member pf Steve?s group.

Silentpony said:
and understand current era slang, anecdotes and customs?
They don?t as Diana clearly shows.

Silentpony said:
Why does the gas from the village just...stop? That's not how gas works.
A lot of weapons in movies don?t work the way they do in real life.

Silentpony said:
Why does Steve's love for her give her the strength of kill Ares when Zeus, who loved all humanity, couldn't?
All Steve does is give her a second wind. She does have the strength she?s just briefly overwhelmed.

Silentpony said:
As for guybro movies, yeah, lot of them are shit. Having junk doesn't make them good.
And WW starring a woman doesn?t mean that?s the only reason it was liked.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Silentpony said:
Agent_Z said:
Obvious ones: If Diana is God-Killer, what's with the sword? Whose sword was it? Why was it important? Was the Sword there before Diana arrived?
In reference to the sword, in order- It's a sword. Hippolyta's or Antiope's most likely. It wasn't that important. Almost certainly seeing as the Amazons were warrior long before Diana was born/created.
Why is her armor special if her sword isn't?
The sword was destroyed when to beings with superhuman strength put the full force of their strength against the blade (Diana thrusting and Ares blocking. At no other point was that much force subjected to such a small point on Diana's shield.

How do the German spies in London recognize Steve on sight, when anyone who got a clear look at him in the beginning died in his escape?
We have no definitive proof that those were the only people who knew Steve by sight, nor do we have proof that the German spies did not have photographs or other detailed information on Allied soldiers.

Why do the shield and sword change sizes based on the scene?
When did this happen?
If the Amazons have been gone for thousands of years, how do they speak modern languages and understand current era slang, anecdotes and customs?
Them speaking modern day languages can be ascribed to magic. And when did any of the Amazons show that they understood modern era slang, customs and anecdotes? Diana did not see any problem walking around in her armor with her weapons fully visible (both against then-modern British customs). And all of the other Amazons stayed on their island.
Why does the gas from the village just...stop? That's not how gas works.
Chalk that one up to it being a movie. Things don't always follow the laws of physics in movies. If I were to nitpick, I could find 'plot holes' like that in every single movie in existence.

Why does Steve's love for her give her the strength of kill Ares when Zeus, who loved all humanity, couldn't?
It might boil down to a different kind of love. It might also be that Diana had a stronger/more intense love for Steve than Zeus had for humanity.

As for guybro movies, yeah, lot of them are shit. Having junk doesn't make them good.[/quote]

Apr 17, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Pallindromemordnillap said:
bjj hero said:
If its Jack the ripper then why are they all yanks?
Well in the novel the film is loosely based on, Jack the Ripper escaped the heat in London by moving to Gotham. But he couldn't keep his urges down very long and soon started killing again and draws the attention of Batman
Spoil this for me, Is Jack the Ripper the Joker?
No, as it happens. The Joker doesn't appear at all in the graphic novel, except for a "Get a load of this guy!" scene at the end between Gordon and Batman, similar to how he was set up in Batman Begins
Jack the Ripper in the comic is actually an old doctor friend of Thomas Wayne, who got friendzoned by Martha Wayne and has since been killing women who even vaguely remind him of her. As SupahEwok has mentioned, its kind of easy to guess its him when you read the comic as he's pretty much the only person it could be